Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 8th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Looking for suggestions for Bermuda

I'm sailing the Veendam - NY to Bermuda - May 9.

Perhaps oddly I've never been to Bermuda, other than on a 1 day port visit during a transatlantic sailing.

As we have several straight days there, thought I'd ask our knowledgable cruisemates for recommendations???
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I would enjoy Bermuda as a port day..maybe one of your days, you can relax here, Horseshoe Bay.. My friends who have cruised there, always have raved about the sand and it's beauty..I would like the food drink, and, chair part Or, you could go knock on Catherine Zeta Jones, & Michael Douglas's door
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bermuda's most popular beach combines the beauty of a half-moon swath of pink sand with a range of amenities not found at most other beaches on the island, including a lifeguard on duty from May-September, food and drinks from the Horsehoe Bay Beach House, and available beach chair, umbrella and snorkeling equipment rentals. It's perfect for kids, but can get crowded at times.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 8th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Admiral

DD was there a few weeks ago and she also suggested Horseshoe Bay - she said it's the most beautiful beach she has seen.

I'll ask her what other suggestions she has.
Old April 9th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Bermuda is my favorite place in the world. Be sure to get a bus pass for 3 days and you can go all over the island at a reasonable rate. Do not do the moped; dangerous.
We love St. George's. Very quaint. St. Catherine's beach is pretty cool too.
Not many crowds and they did have a bar there last I checked.
It's very expensive to eat in Bermuda, but if you do, Henry the 8th's is a hoot, high up on a hill. Many love the Swizzle Inn but I've yet to try that. We do love the Dark and Stormy, drink of the island. Great fun.
Bermuda is so civil. They've had their share of crime lately though, so best to have eyes in the back of your head these days.
Enjoy.
Suse
Old April 9th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Kukki - here are some suggestions from my DD. They stayed at the Southhampton Fairmont for a week mid March.

Wander around St. George and the fort that is there, it is supposed to be a very pretty little town, but we didn't go there.

Go to the Swizzle Inn which is just west out of the Airport and have a rum swizzle! - Yummy!

Go to Horseshoe Bay. You can also walk all along Horseshoe Bay through South Shore Park to Long Bay which is all along the south shore. It is easy to get there by bus or by taxi from Hamliton. There is a little place to buy sandwiches and burgers at Horseshoe Bay. I don't know if the food is any good.

In the warmer weather there are lots of snorkel tours. The
snorkeling and diving is supposed to be excellent. There are also kayak tours. We just liked sitting on the beach. (May should be warmer than the weather we had in March)

You can golf - the Fairmont has a par three that is quite nice and wouldn't take all day to play.

Go to the Dockyards....Take a Ferry from Hamilton - I think it is about $4.00 per person, maybe $5 each way. That would be a good way to see the island from the water. There is a nice pub at the Dockyard - Frog and Onion - and shops and I think a glass blowing place. The night we were there it was really quiet and a gale was blowing thru!

Hamilton has shopping and Fort Hamilton but we didn't do any of that.

Elbow Beach is also supposed to be beautiful, but we didn't get there. We really just spent a lot of time on the beach / by the pool.

I am sure some people would like to rent the scooters and ride around the island but it's very dangerous.

Hope this give you some suggestions, Kukki. Don't forget to come back and give us a review.

Dee

P.S. Last time we sailed to Bermuda we arrived around 1pm (we were doing a trans Atlantic). The "sail in" through all the little islands/harbour and seeing all the different coloured homes with white roofs was so pretty. We were in Hamilton overnight and didn't leave until 1pm the next day.

I see by your itinerary that you arrive in St. George's at 8am, so make sure you are up early to watch the ship sail into the harbour - same when you leave SG's for Hamilton
at 7am.