CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   Why are cruise ship passengers so nice (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/382256-why-cruise-ship-passengers-so-nice.html)

Thoth May 2nd, 2011 02:21 PM

Why are cruise ship passengers so nice

People on cruise ships tend to be so very nice. Why is that ?
Do you think it is mostly an act ? :eek:
There are many unpleasant people in the world, so either they...
1) don't take cruises
2) take cruises but put on the facade
3) take a cruise and hide in their veranda suite for a week.
4) it is all me, while on a ship I see the proverbial glass as half full.

pon493 May 4th, 2011 03:42 PM

Lets hope it's because they are so happy to be on a cruise and relaxing (away from all the stress of work and home) that it takes all the stress away.

Tlingit Eagle May 4th, 2011 05:35 PM

Well, as an official Grump, I think I'm qualified to answer.

Because if all that lifes events that makes you into a cranky, grumpy, unknowingly rude and inconsiderate person are removed,

And now all you have are happy people surrounding you, cheerful and wonderful people catering to your whims, no alarm clock to wake you, and you see and hear the ocean every morning, and you can eat nearly whatever you are craving at just about any time, and without cooking or cleaning, and there's plenty to do without HAVING to do it, and a series of real life post cards passes before your eyes all day, And the best thing of all...you can retreat to a wonderful room whenever the need for quiet solitude comes up..

Well, those are the things that soothe the savage beast.

It takes me a day or two after arriving home to resurrect the beast. I need to retire on a cruiseship so I can go out with a satisfied smile.
:mad::x:(;):):o:D:-P:-P:p:rolleyes::cool: <---My transformation

Thoth May 4th, 2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pon493 (Post 1369407)
Lets hope it's because they are so happy to be on a cruise and relaxing (away from all the stress of work and home) that it takes all the stress away.

That's me too.
This being your first post on Cruismates, and you did so in response to me. :-D I'm honored !

Thoth May 4th, 2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tlingit Eagle (Post 1369417)
Well, as an official Grump, I think I'm qualified to answer.

Because if all that lifes events that makes you into a cranky, grumpy, unknowingly rude and inconsiderate person are removed,

And now all you have are happy people surrounding you, cheerful and wonderful people catering to your whims, no alarm clock to wake you, and you see and hear the ocean every morning, and you can eat nearly whatever you are craving at just about any time, and without cooking or cleaning, and there's plenty to do without HAVING to do it, and a series of real life post cards passes before your eyes all day, And the best thing of all...you can retreat to a wonderful room whenever the need for quiet solitude comes up..

Well, those are the things that soothe the savage beast.

It takes me a day or two after arriving home to resurrect the beast. I need to retire on a cruiseship so I can go out with a satisfied smile.
:mad::x:(;):):o:D:-P:-P:p:rolleyes::cool: <---My transformation

That's more true with me than I care to admit.
My transformation .....post cruise :p:-P:-D:-):confused::cool::(:-x:x:mad:
Are you an Alaskan ? That is my favorite cruise destination.

Tlingit Eagle May 10th, 2011 12:32 AM

Ha! Yes, I think I have to agree, your transformation looks familiar to me too!

Yes, I'm an Alaskan Native. I've been living in Ca for about 15 yrs. Work, and my one true love keeps me here for now. We honeymooned on an AK cruise 12 yrs ago, so he could see. Now, we've been going back every year. He loves it. We fly sometimes, we cruise sometimes.

Seriously, even living there most of my life, you see things on a cruise that you wouldn't necessarily if you lived there. Even when we retire up there, I'm sure I'll be a weirdo and fly down to Seattle and jump on a cruise. Go into port...have lunch and a nap at home...get back on. Just kidding. Maybe do Northern Europe or Antarctica. I don't like tropical.

The total relaxation on a cruise is my thing. If I can do that and keep the temp in the 70s or less, it's all good.!

And Toth...Alaska loves you right back! They truly enjoy their tourists.

Thoth May 16th, 2011 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tlingit Eagle (Post 1370321)
Ha! Yes, I think I have to agree, your transformation looks familiar to me too!

Yes, I'm an Alaskan Native. I've been living in Ca for about 15 yrs. Work, and my one true love keeps me here for now. We honeymooned on an AK cruise 12 yrs ago, so he could see. Now, we've been going back every year. He loves it. We fly sometimes, we cruise sometimes.

Seriously, even living there most of my life, you see things on a cruise that you wouldn't necessarily if you lived there. Even when we retire up there, I'm sure I'll be a weirdo and fly down to Seattle and jump on a cruise. Go into port...have lunch and a nap at home...get back on. Just kidding. Maybe do Northern Europe or Antarctica. I don't like tropical.

The total relaxation on a cruise is my thing. If I can do that and keep the temp in the 70s or less, it's all good.!

And Toth...Alaska loves you right back! They truly enjoy their tourists.

Of course the Tlingit people add a cultural aspect to the experience.
I just returned from a Canada/New England cruise, so culture is my thing.

KLSmith May 31st, 2011 03:31 PM

Nice? Try taking the last slice of pizza, or being too slow in the buffet line and see how nice they are:-)

anniegb May 31st, 2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoth (Post 1369041)
1) don't take cruises

I have to confess I encountered some absolute horrors on my last cruise e.g.

Not allowing wheelchair passengers to leave an elevator before they entered the elevator - a daily occurrence.

Fashion police who complained about passengers wearing denim at breakfast time in the MDR.

Maybe I was just unlucky :)

Annie

Thoth May 31st, 2011 07:32 PM

All right, I admit it that cruise patrons aren't always saints.
but most are great....comparably speaking.
On my recent cruise I encountered only two rude people that comes to mind....
one = a heckler during Karaoke. Of course he did not wish to take the stage, but was critical of others who did. A backseat driver ! :p
second= on a shore excursion this woman told me "you in the red..move..I'm trying to take a picture". I did respond..."all one needs to say is excuse me please".
Two out of all the people that I spoke with...pretty good odds. :rolleyes:

Tlingit Eagle June 5th, 2011 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoth (Post 1373963)
All right, I admit it that cruise patrons aren't always saints.
but most are great....comparably speaking.
On my recent cruise I encountered only two rude people that comes to mind....
one = a heckler during Karaoke. Of course he did not wish to take the stage, but was critical of others who did. A backseat driver ! :p
second= on a shore excursion this woman told me "you in the red..move..I'm trying to take a picture". I did respond..."all one needs to say is excuse me please".
Two out of all the people that I spoke with...pretty good odds. :rolleyes:

Aw, Thoth, what a good guy. I may have brought out my more colorful vocabulary for her. And him. Actually I wouldn't have moved. I would have found that impossible itch in the middle of my back. The one that only the very tip of your longest finger can reach. ;-)

Thoth June 6th, 2011 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tlingit Eagle (Post 1374712)
Aw, Thoth, what a good guy. I may have brought out my more colorful vocabulary for her. And him. Actually I wouldn't have moved. I would have found that impossible itch in the middle of my back. The one that only the very tip of your longest finger can reach. ;-)

The thing is....some people aren't worth the trouble to talk to. Not speaking to someone is a form of revenge. :|
I just added another Alaska cruise to my docket....Princess for next year.
I see where you are going on the Oosterdam to Alaska next month ?
I did that same cruise back in July 2004. Great ship...great itinerary.:cool:

DeepSpace June 6th, 2011 02:56 AM

I like to think that all people that cruise are nice. What better place to relax and have a great time, enjoy the beauty of the ship, the can't wait feeling until you first stop, and the good food. But there are times when you run into a few rude people, that just don't understand the meaning of take it easy.......

anniegb June 6th, 2011 07:46 AM

Thoth

You come across as a fairly content half-full kind a guy and for that reason you will generally find people nice.

I confess to having some Miss Marple tendencies :), very observant, forget little and it is said I have a tendency to be feisty :); I love people watching and would say that 80% people on vacation generally are subject to less stress and consequently very polite and friendly.

That said, I witnessed some behaviour on my last cruise esp between spouses that shocked me; if someone had behaved that way towards me - the no of passengers disembarking would have been somewhat less :)

I cope by blanking these people :)

Annie

johnthed0g June 6th, 2011 08:44 AM

I have found that most on cruises are nice but the more cruises I do the percentage falls.
Not this site of course but I reckon all the nasty people just go on imaginary cruises on forums, there are quite a few that wouldn't fit in any sort of gathering!!

Tlingit Eagle June 6th, 2011 11:19 PM

I think destination, size of ship really makes the difference. I love the smaller big ships. No desire to get on the mega ships. And sorry to say, we don't really want to go on a "party" cruise with lots of younger people. We are in the latter half of our forties, and we prefer our age and older. Better odds of cruising with mannered people.

Annie- Oh, I can so relate to that! I'm probably more so tho. My husband and children tease me that I've become that mean old lady in the neighborhood prematurely. Oh well, ;-)

Thoth- Yep, Oosterdam this year, Zuiderdam next year. Next year is with friends! I'm more excited about that one!

I'd like to get in a Hawaii cruise too, but haven't researched the best options for that yet.

On the road to Seattle in 45 days. I'm already here ---> :)

Thoth June 7th, 2011 02:26 AM

True...stress has a great deal to do with it. Some may be content in the stressful melancholy. Me.... I hate being unhappy. :rolleyes:

Thoth June 7th, 2011 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniegb (Post 1374727)
Thoth

You come across as a fairly content half-full kind a guy and for that reason you will generally find people nice.

I confess to having some Miss Marple tendencies :), very observant, forget little and it is said I have a tendency to be feisty :); I love people watching and would say that 80% people on vacation generally are subject to less stress and consequently very polite and friendly.

That said, I witnessed some behaviour on my last cruise esp between spouses that shocked me; if someone had behaved that way towards me - the no of passengers disembarking would have been somewhat less :)

I cope by blanking these people :)

Annie

rude people could work on the long distance swimming ? :rolleyes:
I do notice they way some older couples talk to one another. This lady has been his soul mate for 50 years and gets talked to like she is a fool.

Lakers Fan June 7th, 2011 11:51 AM

A very interesting question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoth (Post 1369041)
1) don't take cruises

My academic background is in Psychology . I am normally able to "read" people and determine if they are putting on a facade ,but not always .

In my limited cruising experience I would say that 85 % of the people I've encountered while cruising were nice .I've made lifelong friends from cruising .However ,I have encountered nasty people . On my last cruise I was part of a group of 6 traveling together .One moring 3 of us went to breakfast .We were about to be seated at a table for 6 that was occupied by 2 people and they refused to let us sit with them .
On a prior cruise we were at a table for lunch with 6 strangers .We were asked where we reside and when we replied NY 2 of the people looked at us as if we were lepers .

Thoth June 7th, 2011 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1374916)
My academic background is in Psychology . I am normally able to "read" people and determine if they are putting on a facade ,but not always .

In my limited cruising experience I would say that 85 % of the people I've encountered while cruising were nice .I've made lifelong friends from cruising .However ,I have encountered nasty people . On my last cruise I was part of a group of 6 traveling together .One moring 3 of us went to breakfast .We were about to be seated at a table for 6 that was occupied by 2 people and they refused to let us sit with them .
On a prior cruise we were at a table for lunch with 6 strangers .We were asked where we reside and when we replied NY 2 of the people looked at us as if we were lepers .

A Psychology background...that's interesting. I wish I could "read" people better and see beneath the facade. My guess is that low self esteem is as common as a cold is to family practice physicians. Many facades are constructed to conceal low self worth ?
I sailed from NY ( Manhattan) on a cruise not long ago. It was a thrill seeing the sights !
And No...I didn't see any lepers.

anniegb June 8th, 2011 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1374916)

Henry

I have heard of sun lounger hoggers but table hoggers - sorry I would have sat down; Henry - you are far too nice or maybe I am too feisty :)

Annie

Tlingit Eagle June 9th, 2011 07:14 PM

How about "Unless your bums are large enough to occupy 3 seats each, I think you should learn to smile and share like a human being. We are going to have a seat, and you may stay if you like, or you may leave if you like."
My DH would then groan and roll his eyes at my forwardness, but I would sit anyway. Just on principal.
Then, would probably say "OMG, do you smell that? I'm afraid I'm losing my appetite" And leave.
Childish, I know. I hate people like them tho. It's so unnecessary. I know it's not worth it. But geez, these days so many rude people are enabled, rudeness has become rampant and nearly acceptable.

johnthed0g June 9th, 2011 07:25 PM

Table hogs

There was a thread on P&O Uk about this, apparently people sit diagonally to deter others from joining them...bizarre, it they don't like other people perhaps cruising isn't for them...

anniegb June 9th, 2011 07:34 PM

TE - you are so right

Annie

Thoth June 11th, 2011 12:57 AM

It is a concern that people are getting more rude. I associate etiquette with intelligence and I also associate diplomacy with intelligence.
One woulds think with all the higher technology, that people would be smarter....but they aren't. At least that don't seem to be getting any smarter.
Chair hogs are showing their lack of intellectual development. :-|

Manuel June 11th, 2011 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniegb (Post 1375053)
I have heard of sun lounger hoggers but table hoggers - sorry I would have sat down; Henry - you are far too nice or maybe I am too feisty :)

Annie

I encountered a couple of table hoggers once. Two women at a large table did not want to share there space.
I told them (enjoy your space, I am sure that you won't enjoy this cruise.)
People with a mean negative attitude don't enjoy much in life.

For us it turned out to be a wonderful cruise and met some womderful people that we have visited since then.

TM

Lakers Fan June 11th, 2011 01:02 PM

I did not want to get into an argument .It would have taken away from my enjoyment of the cruise .
We met quite a few very nice people and in fact we are cruising next month with a couple that we met on our last cruise .
I am trying to get them to post on CM . They are registered .

Thoth June 11th, 2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1375635)
I did not want to get into an argument .It would have taken away from my enjoyment of the cruise .
We met quite a few very nice people and in fact we are cruising next month with a couple that we met on our last cruise .
I am trying to get them to post on CM . They are registered .

That's my rational for walking away from potential confrontations as well.
Why would I wish to bring rain on my parade ?. :rolleyes:
If others love rain, let them have it all to themselves.
If as Shakespeare had it right, then I wish to play the hero, not the villain.
"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;..." W.S. :cool:
"All the world's indeed a stage, And we are merely players: Performers and portrayers, Each another's audience, Outside the gilded cage." from Rush's song Limelight.

Lakers Fan June 11th, 2011 02:03 PM

Great quotes .

My Henry43 character tends to be rather argumentative but that is solely a role .In reality I am very passive .

anniegb June 11th, 2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoth (Post 1375636)
That's my rational for walking away from potential confrontations as well.
Why would I wish to bring rain on my parade ?. :rolleyes:
If others love rain, let them have it all to themselves.
If as Shakespeare had it right, then I wish to play the hero, not the villain.
"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;..." W.S. :cool:
"All the world's indeed a stage, And we are merely players: Performers and portrayers, Each another's audience, Outside the gilded cage." from Rush's song Limelight.

Me thinks one feisty lady may change :)

Annie