Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:49 PM
Familiar Face

Default Excursions that sell out fast

Have you waited to book an excursion and found it was fully booked?

I always book my excursions early, but next year I plan to do some of the more expensive exclusive excursions.

I'm one of those crazy pre planners that has everything booked and paid for in cash months before I leave. I'd like to become more spontanious, and it occured to me that sometimes if you wait until you are on board, you may not be able to book the excursion you want.

I thought it might be interesting to see what excursions people weren't able to get.

Any port, any itinerary! (I'll be paying close attention to Alaska, of course )

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

My blog last week was sort of about this topic.
Cruisemates Blog Are The Cruise Lines Using ?The Politics of Fear? to Sell You Shore Excursions? – Kuki

That said.. if you're talking about Alaska, and are looking at some of the flight excursions, or going to watch the bears fish, or dog-sledding on a glacier... you will want to book them early, as they are limited.

However, you aren't limited to book them through the cruise lines. Most of them you can pre-book with private tour providers.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 23rd, 2011, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Talking Pre Booking excursions

We almost always pre-book our excursions, either with the ship or with independent operators. I don't know that there is anything to be gained by waiting.

Perhaps first time cruisers might benefit from the videos shown on the ship's TV, or the blatant pitch made by the "Port Lecturer" but honestly, we are now pretty well adept at reading the description and knowing what we want. We understand the difference between "see" and "visit", and know what a "snack" means, and all the other code words. Almost never do we find a tour to differ significantly from its description.

The one problem with this is when an excursion we have pre-booked is cancelled. Then it is a scramble to get to the shore excursion desk and pick something to replace it.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old June 23rd, 2011, 01:30 PM
Admiral

For the first time we are not planning to book an excursion .We are doing it the old fashioned way ,self walking .
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I think you are absolutely right to plan as far in advance as possible - if you wait until you are on the ship it could be too late.

The thing is that the cruise lines have made it much easier to pre-book tours now - online, and so more people do it.

10 years ago everyone had the same opportunity and the smartest people booked as soon as they got onboarfd, but now even that may be too late.

It is true that it is also much easier to book third-party tours online now - especially in Alaska, because the are American and web savvy. Most of them will pick you up at the pier now.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 06:18 PM
Familiar Face

Re Kuki's blog-

I read that! It's actually what got me thinking about this.

And I so agreed with it. There's something there that bothers me even more. History first- I was raised in Juneau and spent much of my 20s there too, so I worked the tourist seasons.

During this time, Franklin street in Juneau had boardwalk sidewalks, and all local businesses. Now, the cruise lines have set up shops and we can buy gems in Alaska that we could buy if we were on a Caribbean cruise. I don't get the point of that.

We went on a Jeep 4x4 excursion in Ketchikan last time, for lack of anything better to do. All the operators were summer stock from the lower 48, and the company was a subsidiary of yet another cruise company.

I've posted here about leaving money local and supporting the economy of where you are vacationing so you can return and enjoy the visit again. I think that thread died pretty quickly. :-D People buy what they want, and the impact to them is their one day in port. They may think about it more if they knew that not only are they purchasing their transportation and accomodations from one entity, they are being funneled through a great big Walmart style mall from beginning port to end port. It's gotten exponentially worse every year.

I do walking tours in most ports, unless the excursion is transportation, like visiting the Saxman Village in Ketchikan. In Juneau, I rent a car, beat all the other tourists out to the glacier and have it all to myself, visit the Shrine of St. Terese, which is the most beautiful stone chapel on an island with a incredible view of a huge expanse of snow capped mountain range across the Lynn Canal. Then hit my favorite halibut fish and chips place.

Oh, and the Tram, which I'm pleased to say benefits solely the local Native Americans.

I'm thinking of checking out who benefits revenue from some of the airplane/helicopter tours. Those have been around forever, and I'm sure some keep the $ local.

I'm not really that much of a do-gooder fanatic. But I don't want for everything I do and see to be controlled by the same salesman. Monopolies only benefit the monopolizer.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 06:23 PM
Familiar Face

I didn't intend to go off on a tangent there. :-)

I also plan to cruise other areas very soon. We thought of the European cruise that stops in St Petersburg too. And, maybe a tropical destination when I work up mentally to deal with the heat.

If an excursion is really good, they are usually the ones that sell out quickly. Nice to keep in mind for future plans, since I'm destined to be a maniacal cruiser and there are so many here already.

Old June 24th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Thumbs up St Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlingit Eagle View Post
I didn't intend to go off on a tangent there. :-)

I also plan to cruise other areas very soon. We thought of the European cruise that stops in St Petersburg too. And, maybe a tropical destination when I work up mentally to deal with the heat.

If an excursion is really good, they are usually the ones that sell out quickly. Nice to keep in mind for future plans, since I'm destined to be a maniacal cruiser and there are so many here already.
Well now that you mentioned St. Petersburg --

It is a fabulous place. It is probably THE most notorious place for cruise line scare tactics trying to keep people on ship's tours. I am baffled why they do this, considering all the bad mouth they get on the boards for it. There are a number of independent tour companies which do a wonderful job and offer personalized tours.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/baltic.html. You will love St. Petersburg!

Old June 24th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Familiar Face

Wow, Mike, that was really cool!!!

Oh, that is definitely a must do cruise!

How did you find the independent tours prior to sailing? It sounds like you really found a gem with DenRus.

In St. Petersburg, did you have any hassles with currency? I haven't been out of the US except a few jaunts through Canada, so I don't even know how to prepare for different currencies.

Thank you for sharing that! I can't wait to show my DH.

Old June 25th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Talking St. Petersburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlingit Eagle View Post
Wow, Mike, that was really cool!!!

Oh, that is definitely a must do cruise!

How did you find the independent tours prior to sailing? It sounds like you really found a gem with DenRus.

In St. Petersburg, did you have any hassles with currency? I haven't been out of the US except a few jaunts through Canada, so I don't even know how to prepare for different currencies.

Thank you for sharing that! I can't wait to show my DH.
Well, guess this thread got hijacked .... ;o)

At least we are on the broad topic of shore excursions.

We normally look for independent shore excursion companies in several ways: Looking for recommendations on the boards, Trip Advisor, Frommer's, and so on (I won't mention "that other board"); Looking for cruise reviews on a number of boards and also simply by googling "XXXX Cruise Review"; checking the various companies such as shoretrips.com and toursbylocals.com; and simply by googling "XXXX Shore excursions" or "XXX day trips."

In St. Petersburg there are several highly advertised and well recommended companies. Out of the various options we settled on DenRus because of their willingness and ability to customize our tour, and especially because of their "Lunch with a Russian Family" option.

I hope you do get to St. Petersburg soon. It is a fabulous experience!

We rarely worry about local currencies on organized shore excursions. In Russia, for example, our guide paid for the pies at Stolle and we repaid her in US$, and she also gave us subway tokens. There was really no need for any other local currency in the major tourist areas. If you do need local currency, an ATM is usually convenient.

Old June 28th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
We almost always pre-book our excursions, either with the ship or with independent operators. I don't know that there is anything to be gained by waiting.

Perhaps first time cruisers might benefit from the videos shown on the ship's TV, or the blatant pitch made by the "Port Lecturer" but honestly, we are now pretty well adept at reading the description and knowing what we want. We understand the difference between "see" and "visit", and know what a "snack" means, and all the other code words. Almost never do we find a tour to differ significantly from its description.

The one problem with this is when an excursion we have pre-booked is cancelled. Then it is a scramble to get to the shore excursion desk and pick something to replace it.
Ditto.

Over the years, we have learned to “read between the lines” of the shore excursion descriptions. Our experience is that “snack” is usually a joke, and “lunch” is OK, be we have had some bad ones. If we change our mind and cancel by the deadline, we pay a 10% penalty. If we switch to another, we get full credit.

The worst part of using the cruise line’s shore trips, is the “hurry, wait and hurry” system used on the ship.
2006 W. Caribbean
2006 Alaska
2007 E. Caribbean
2007 N. Atlantic
2008 Alaska
2008 S. America
2009 Grand Voyage
2009 Canada
2010 N. Atlantic
2011 Grand Voyage
2012 Alaska
2013 Hawaii - S. Pacific
Old June 28th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Talking Tours pro and con

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdgp View Post
Ditto.

Over the years, we have learned to “read between the lines” of the shore excursion descriptions. Our experience is that “snack” is usually a joke, and “lunch” is OK, be we have had some bad ones. If we change our mind and cancel by the deadline, we pay a 10% penalty. If we switch to another, we get full credit.

The worst part of using the cruise line’s shore trips, is the “hurry, wait and hurry” system used on the ship.
Also remember that "see" means you drive by, and the bus may stop for photos. "Visit" means you stop and walk around a bit. "Inside visit" means you actually go inside and see the place.

On most ships (although it is subject to change) there is NO penalty if you cancel before the deadline. HAL used to have that penalty but I think they have dropped it too.

"Lunch" can depend. We have had lousy buffets at very fancy places, but one of the very best we had was a rustic BBQ at a gaucho estancia. The oldest gaucho manned the grill and the ladies made the salads.

Actually, the dispatching system is not that bad, for handling the crowds of people they do. The worst wait we have had was an hour and 15 minutes disembarking over 2000 people in St. Petersburg. But it is true that any time you are in a large group, ship's tour or independent, you do wind up waiting for the bus to unload and reload, and for that last gal to run out of the gift shop.

Old July 13th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Familiar Face

I did the Alaska cruise 2 summers ago from Vancouver to Seward. Every day was better than the one before....

The only tour that I pre-booked was the float trip out of Ketchikan over the Misty Fjords. I wanted to make sure that I had a seat. And it was worth every penny. It was truly amazing.

We did a float trip out of Hanes. Then took the Yukon train out of Skagway - all in one day!! Float trip in the morning, then booked the train and jumped on the ferry from Hanes. It was no problem (and we saved a lot of money not using the cruise line).

The only day we didn't do a tour was in Sitka and we just had fun walking all over town and just walked (for FREE) over to the eagle center and did the tour, while other people paid the hefty price to be driven over...

Sometimes the best part of your trip is when you 'wing it' and see what happens. Don't over-plan and miss out on just being there and meeting locals. Put your check list away of the most popular hot spots and try to discover your own!!!

Enjoy-
Old July 13th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Question On your own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJOCruiser View Post
The only day we didn't do a tour was in Sitka and we just had fun walking all over town and just walked (for FREE) over to the eagle center and did the tour, while other people paid the hefty price to be driven over...

Sometimes the best part of your trip is when you 'wing it' and see what happens. Don't over-plan and miss out on just being there and meeting locals. Put your check list away of the most popular hot spots and try to discover your own!!!
Well, yes, some people enjoy doing it that way. If that is your thing, then have fun.

BUT ... there are sooooo many popular spots in Alaska, that are popular BECAUSE so many people have enjoyed them! You had a good time just walking around in Sitka, and that is great! BUT ... you didn't get to the Sea Otter Search, the New Archangel Dancers, the Cathedral or the Fortress of the Bear, all of which are major popular attractions in Sitka that so many people have enjoyed and recommend.

Our approach to things is that we are visiting a major tourist place, we are tourists, and we want to do the big tourist things that MAKE it a major tourist place. Just walking around town is something we might do on our fourth visit to the same port, perhaps. But first we want to see all the things that make the port famous!

YMMV.

Old July 14th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Familiar Face

Wow - we could argue that forever.... and both of us would still be RIGHT - - because there is no wrong answer here... just opinions.

I have been all over the world - not on cruises - and had experiences that are my own. I didn't have experiences that were spoon fed to me by what the majority thought was supposed to happen on a certain corner on a certain street in a certain part of the globe.

I don't want to wait for the 4th time around to have an adventure - I am ready now!

Good luck with your pre-planned fun for the masses!!
Old July 14th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Admiral

JoJo Cruiser

I am with you - wing it and absorb the ambience.

Annie
Old July 18th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

We started booking private excursions. I wasn't fond of the en-mass experience. To many restroom stops.
I'm currently planning excursions for our next cruise. I've been looking through the book and noticed the cruise line offers a lot more private tours than before. I wonder if they were losing people to private tours and decided to become the middle man.
Old July 18th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Familiar Face

HalGal-
Yes, I wonder the same thing. We are heading to the Greek Islands in Sept... one of my coworkers told me to pre-book everything since it's all foreign countries... so I wondered.

Then a friend of mine said they did the Med last year and just got a cab at each port. They knew where the tour groups were going, so they could follow the same itinerary (if they wanted). But her husband also wanted to get some great photos, so they had the cab driver take them to some fantastic places for the best shots. It saved them money and time and they had a wonderful experience.

If you notice the private tours through the cruise lines are quite expensive. I think if you are prepared with what you want to see, you can just grab a cab at the port and go (or walk it). It really all depends on where you are and how comfortable you feel.

Like I mentioned before - we saved $65 EACH on the Yukon train ride out of Skagway, by booking just off the ship. And we were riding the train with a bunch of other people from our cruise. But if you are not comfortable with this, book ahead and relax!!

Happy sailing -
Old July 18th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

We do a lot on our own, walking or taxi. Due to the unrest now, I would be hesitant to hail a cab in a country I was not familiar with. If I didn't have a good referral, I would book a private tour thru the cruise line.

Happy sailing,
Rose
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Talking Private tours

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALGAL View Post
We started booking private excursions. I wasn't fond of the en-mass experience. To many restroom stops.
I'm currently planning excursions for our next cruise. I've been looking through the book and noticed the cruise line offers a lot more private tours than before. I wonder if they were losing people to private tours and decided to become the middle man.
First of all, for my DW and myself, there is NO SUCH THING as too many restroom stops!!!

I have looked at the private tours the cruise line offers and they are extremely expensive compared to what is available otherwise. In most instances they are simply a driver and car to take you where you plan to go.

On rare occasions we have gotten off the ship and hailed a cab. Once or twice it worked very well, once or twice it was pretty much of a nightmare. A taxi driver is not a guide. You have no idea how good his English is or even how well he knows the city. Hiring a cab is an option we use when we want to go directly to some specific attraction that we know about, and do not need a guide to tell us about. From the ship to The James Joyce Center in Dublin was an example. To Mendenhall in Juneau is another, if you are willing to pay for convenience instead of a shuttle bus. But in most ports it is NOT something we would do.

We usually do a mix of ship's excursions and private tours booked in advance, from recommendations on the boards and elsewhere. This works very well for us. If we are simply going someplace to see the scenery, or visit a particular attraction, the ship's tours are usually excellent. They also offer some interesting options -- olive oil tasting in Tuscany, a BBQ at a gaucho estancia -- which might be hard to book independently. Ship's tours are usually excellent, reasonably priced, and convenient.

On the other hand, in some ports we find things not offered by the ship's tours, or things we want to do in a smaller group, or things that we need to do more slowly due to slight mobility limitations. In Split Croatia the ship's bus tour into the mountains to a restaurant where we sampled local cheese and ham and sang songs was a lot of fun to do in a large group. But in Venice, hiring a private gondola and musician was a lot better than being one of about 20 gondolas surrounding one musician on the ship's excursion.
A bus tour of Quebec worked very well, but for Borobudur Temple in Indonesia we needed a private group that could get us very close to the temple and move at our pace.

So it is a matter of doing your homework. If you don't want to do all that research, the ship's tours are usually great. But if you will carefully figure out what you want to do, research recommendations, and then make your choices port by port, you can do very well.

Check out our trip report and pictures at Australia and Indonesia Cruise for our trip Australia, Indonesia and Cambodia and see how we mixed ship's excursions and private tours and had a great time!

Old July 19th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Mike & DW,
While we agree on some issues, we definitely have our differences. I am not begrudging anyone from using the restrooms. When you state "you can't have to many" is where we part ways. Getting on a bus and before going a mile and having to make a rest stop. Then within a short period of time having to make another is a bit much. In Beijing, we were informed that we would only do a drive by at Tenamen Sq. because of all the unscheduled stops (restrooms) or we would miss our dinner reservations. After much protesting the guide finally called her office to have the reservation changed.

We also had a very different experience at Borobudur Temple. If not for the fact that the tour bus had a police escort, we would still be tuck in traffic. I don't recall being any further away than any other vehicle. A short walk from the parking lot ot the Temple.

We do our homework and plan out what we want to see at each port.

I believe the point I was making was that I noticed a lot more private tours being offed now.

Enjoy,
Rose
Old July 20th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Talking Borobudur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALGAL View Post
We also had a very different experience at Borobudur Temple. If not for the fact that the tour bus had a police escort, we would still be tuck in traffic. I don't recall being any further away than any other vehicle. A short walk from the parking lot ot the Temple.
Indonesia was an interesting place. Each port seemed to have worse traffic than the one before. Our private guide experience at Borobodur was a very good one. Our driver took a "short cut" which still had horrendous traffic, but he got us to the temple a good half hour before the tour buses which left at the same time. We then stopped at a nice private hotel (Yes, for a bathroom stop!) to get our sarongs which are worn as a mark of respect. It is indeed a fairly short walk from the parking lot to the temple, but it is uphill and a bit rough. For me, with a cane, it was a godsend that our small van was able to drive up the hill to the handicapped turnaround considerably closer to the temple. So this particular case is an example of when a private tour worked out very well for us and was almost a necessity. At other ports on the same cruise, we used ship's bus tours with very good success.

The ships are indeed offering more "private" tours, but in most instances what I am seeing is a fairly high price for a car and driver. In fact in some ports it notes the driver is NOT a guide and has limited English. This makes it basically a DIY tour with transportation provided by the ship. That could work very well in some places. However to me one of the big advantages of a private tour is that I correspond at length with the guide, putting forth our ideas and getting their feedback, until we arrive at an itinerary that covers the main things we want to do but allows flexibility to change on the spot if conditions warrant.

And the fact that we have our differences is one of the great strengths of this board, isn't it? Different viewpoints can help all of us decide what to do on our NEXT cruise!

Old July 20th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

That is absolutely something we agree on.
I will be checking your posts for the inside scoop. We are taking the World tour in 1/12 and need some insight.

Rose