Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 10th, 2011, 02:22 AM
Admiral

Default cruise has been charter

I have been inform last night that my 14 day cruise next year has
been Charter out, july 13 2012 aboard the Amsterdam. i guess i will be looking for another cruise!! It would of been my first time to Alaska!!:-x
Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Sorry to hear that Earl.

There are lots of HAL Alaska cruises so just keep looking.

Can you change your dates? Did HAL offer you anything else? Were you already booked? Do keep looking - Alaska is beautiful.

Good Luck.
Old September 10th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Captain

Unhappy

I dont understand! To me it seems like a slap in the face! How can they take reservations from people and then just tell them sorry but we chartered the ship you dont mean nothing to us but heres your money back!Seems like a piss poor way to treat your customers. I think I would be looking for a diffrent cruise line to give my money to!:-x
Old September 10th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

This can happen on any cruiseline and without much advanced notice. Being that it is a 2012 sailing, that is a way out and the financial issue of chartering the ship out was more profitable for the cruiseline. Should they offer clients booked on this sailing something ??? Probably would be good PR in my eyes. Will they offer anything to passengers afected other than full refunds??? Possibly not since there was plenty of advanced warning and full refunds were made.

It can happen on any cruiseline or ship if the charter is in the cruiselines favor and results in a higher profitability...... it is sad, but it is business !

OP.... there is time to find another cruise, but sorry that this occured on your planned Alaska cruise.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old September 10th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Angry Chartered out

Well, aside from being a slap in the face, this is really not a huge problem. There are plenty of ships to Alaska that time of year and you should be able to rebook easily.

However, I would not let HAL know you feel that way. Go in to your Travel Agent and let her know that you are extremely unhappy and see what she can negotiate with HAL. With any luck at all you can get a Future Cruise Credit or at least a nice On Board Credit out of it.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old September 10th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I agree with Mike. Let them know you are not happy and you want more than just a refund. Be specific in what you feel is fair compensation. A future cruise credit, OBC on a future sailing...etc.

Many people need to allocate vacation time and other schedule changes in order to book the cruises. Although it is completely within the cruise lines rights to cancel the cruise and accept a charter it still can cause financial and logistical hardships to those whose cruises are canceled.

Take care and I hope you find a wonderful replacement cruise.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 11th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Admiral

! am part of a group cruise. we are about 30 people . our TA is looking in to it. hopely we will be able to cruise at a later date, It has been Charter for 7 days only , our cruise was for 14 days. maybe they may make into a 7 day cruise.

since it still 10 months away. they may offer a small compensation
if any!!
Old September 11th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Earl, I bet you will find a cruise your group will really enjoy, just as well. With so much time, your ta has a mission

Several years ago, Oprah chatered an RCI ship, for Maia Angelou's birthday, that sent many people, like yourself, looking for another cruise.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 21st, 2011, 10:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

I don't think any of you really understand what Earl is up against. Holland only offers a limited # of the 14 day Alaskan cruises. You keep saying there are lots of cruises to Alaska, but that's not the case. How many cruise lines offer the itinerary that Holland does on the Amsterdam?

Earl, I understand your disappointment. I've had a booked cruise chartered. I hope Holland works with you and your group on a suitable replacement cruise. All the cruise lines accept charters - it's just part of their business model, and very lucrative for them.

Shelby
Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:39 PM
Admiral

We have a new date to cruise , June 29, still a 14day cruise,
its the same cruise and stopping at the same ports..
i am glad its settle. Hal will be giving us on board credit as compension. We don't know yet so much. they will pay for any Pentalties from the air lines . At least it now 14 days sooner.
I am happy with the outcome!!
Old September 22nd, 2011, 10:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Earl, bravo for your attitude, sailing earlier, getting what you want, and, more...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 23rd, 2011, 12:20 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl View Post
We have a new date to cruise , June 29, still a 14day cruise,
its the same cruise and stopping at the same ports..
i am glad its settle. Hal will be giving us on board credit as compension. We don't know yet so much. they will pay for any Pentalties from the air lines . At least it now 14 days sooner.
I am happy with the outcome!!
GREAT NEWS !!! HAL steps up to the plate for the problems caused by the chartering of the ship and you come out the winner !!!

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old September 23rd, 2011, 09:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

This is why it's better to wait to see what the cruise line will do for you, rather than cancel on your own before you get an offer.

Shelby