Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hotels
Register Forgot Password?

Hotels Recommendations for the best places to stay pre/post cruise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 2nd, 2003, 08:09 AM
Maria65

Default Miami Airport Days Inn

We are a family of six taking our first cruise in November. We need to book one pre-cruise night in a hotel. The Miami Airport Days Inn offers free shuttles from the airport and to the pier. This would save us a lot of money on transportation that I would rather spend elsewhere. We're going down a day early just so that my nerves can be calmed about our flight making it on time, and so the kids aren't tired and overwhelmed when they get on the ship. We don't plan on touring Miami or going out at night. Just some pool time, dinner, a little TV and a night's sleep. This hotel costs $55/room online.

Has anyone had any experience with this hotel? The pictures make it look nice but I'd love some reassurance from someone who has actually been there. Any problems with the free shuttles? And this seems like a stupid question, but I've never stayed at an airport hotel, does the airplane noise keep you up at night?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2003, 05:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Miami Airport Days Inn

Have you thought of using priceline.com for the hotel stay?

We got the Hyatt Regency in Miami for our pre night stay for 45 in February 2003.
Our room overlooked the port and we could see the cruiseships lined up. Very nice hotel for the price we paid on there. Plus it is only around the corner from the port.

Old September 3rd, 2003, 07:27 AM
Maria65

Default Re: Re: Miami Airport Days Inn

I thought about it, but I was concerned about the transportation costs. Can anyone give me an estimate of what a van taxi would cost from the airport to downtown and from a downtown hotel to the pier?
Old September 4th, 2003, 09:01 AM
thereuare

You can probably do better with Priceline/Hotwire.

I have recently read that a taxi van doesn't cost any more than a regular taxi. If so, rates for a regular taxi from MIA to Pier are fixed at a cost of $18.

I checked the Reviews on Travelocity and there are 2 or 3 people that said the hotel is good, but about 5 or so that say it's terrible (and commented that they chose the hotel for a pre-cruise stay because of the free transport.... and regretted it). Also, don't know if you read this also, but they only offer shuttle service TO the pier, not upon return.

You can get tips for using Priceline/Hotwire and receive help for your own stay at:
http://www.betterbidding.com

Here's the Travelocity Reviews: http://leisure.travelocity.com/Vacat...5474_0,00.html
Old September 5th, 2003, 04:01 PM
Maria65

I went ahead and did priceline and got the Radisson Miami for $42. I hope this is okay, I was hoping to get one of the others I'd read about people getting.

It's downtown, not too far from the pier. We'll do a taxi van from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the pier.
I'm sure this is costing us more money but I didn't like the complaints i read about the other hotel. Hopefully the Radisson is better.

Thanks for the advice.
Old September 5th, 2003, 10:14 PM
tigercat

Are there any other sites you can use to get a good price on the hotels in Miami for a precruise? I can't use priceline as I am Canadian and do not have any other card except for VISA. I am really afraid of using it as well and geting a horrible place. I used Kingdom.com to get a room at Daytona Beach and it was horrible. We ended up leaving that place and just getting a place along the strip ourselves. We did get our money back but my dh is not interested in that happening again.
tigercat
Old September 6th, 2003, 09:12 AM
Maria65

I paid for mine with Visa at priceline. I don't know if it makes a difference if you're from Canada, but they do take Visa.

You get to pick the general area (downtown, airport, beach, etc) and the category of hotel. I bid $32 for the three star category and it suggested adding $9 which I figured would then be accepted and it was. It looks like a nice place. It's just for one night and I'm just hoping it's clean and safe.
Old September 6th, 2003, 02:21 PM
tigercat

It seems from talking to other Canadians that it will not accept a Canadian VISA. Why I don't know. I have looked at a few other sites but you really don't get any good deals. I think I would get a better deal by calling the hotel direct and asking for a CAA rate. They Hyatt was $250.00 US. A lot of places have the hotels near the port booked off saying they don't have any rooms available. I tried various other dates to see and no dates were accepted.
tigercat
Old September 8th, 2003, 11:35 AM
thereuare

Hotwire is similar to Priceline in that you won't know the name of the hotel until after you've purchased it, and there have been no reported problems with Canadians using it.
Old September 10th, 2003, 10:07 PM
tigercat

Are you able to get the same hotels as Priceline on Hotwire? Is there a trick to Hotwire to get the type of Hotel you want? I really don't want a fleabag hotel in the middle of nowhere.
tigercat
Old September 11th, 2003, 09:59 AM
thereuare

Check out http://www.betterbidding.com for help in identifying the property before purchase. No guarantees, but you can often be reasonably confident of the hotel you will receive.