Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hotels
Register Forgot Password?

Hotels Recommendations for the best places to stay pre/post cruise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel
Default Warnings about hotel drinking glasses

A friend send me a video link of an expose one of the u.s. networks did on how clean your drinking glasses are in the hotel rooms. I was shocked to say the least.

If you think the glasses are taken away and new ones are put out--think again. The maid at the hotels the exposed just put the glasses in the bathroom sink (which wasn't cleaned yet), and either sprayed some "Do not drink" cleaning liquid or just rinsed the glass. This wasn't the worst part. The maid then took the DIRTY hand towel and wiped the glass dry before putting it back looking like it is clean.

One other rather icky moments was when she cleaned the toilet (while wearing a rubber glove) and then proceeded to wash the drinking glasses in the bathroom--ok, every YUCK! clean the toilet then wash the glass?

Some hotels are getting smarter and leaving disposable plastic cups, but nothing was mentioned about if the maid tosses those or not each time one is used.....

The moral of the story is, wash your hotel glasses with the liquid soap well with hot water before you use it, or don't use it at all.....ALas, this makes one wonder what do they do with the glasses in the cabins on the ship?....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

And while you are at it, did you see the ones for the airline head rests, the train head rests and the air vents above you on a plane?

Don't assume one hotel speaks for the millions out there.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old December 10th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Yes, some hotels are leaving disposabe plastic glasses for their guests. It is interesting to see these exposes, it makes you think.

As for the airlines, yes, a quick spray with sanitizer is a good idea on the headrests because who wants someone elses problem (like lice from a child--or parent--who doesn't know they have it yet....

I'll be bringing Febreeze and one of my own pillow cases with me for the pillow. My mother smokes and the smoking rooms tend to really, really, really smell like an ashtray that someone forgot to empty for a week....so I'll be febreezing the bedding and pillow so I don't have to smell the smoke in the pillow or on the sheets.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old March 15th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Passenger

I remember seeing this on either Dateline or 20/20 a couple months ago. The interesting part of this special was that they went to various hotels; of which one included the Ritz Carlton.

While one maid said "Ugh, that it really disgusting", there were other maids stating that they have a certain number or rooms to clean in in certain amount of time so some of these "Minute details" may not have been conducted according to company/industry standards.

Have we put so much emphasis on production that minute details are a thing of the past?
CCL Freedom - Panama (8/2010)
Norwegian Star - Mexican Riviera (4/2010)
Norwegian Sky - Bahamas (12/09)

Past Sailings
Diamond Princess - Alaska Northbound (8/09)
CCL Destiny - S. Caribbean (8/08 )
Norwegian Sun - W. Caribbean (3/08 )
Norwegian Gem - Celebrity Cruise with John Legend & Bobby Flay (12/07)
Legend of the Seas - W. Caribbean (4/07)
Caribbean Princess - W. Caribbean (8/06)