Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hotels
Register Forgot Password?

Hotels Recommendations for the best places to stay pre/post cruise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Beginner

Default Safe Hotel Near Port of Miami

Hi There! I am new to these boards, but I have already learned so much! We are leaving on the Carnival Freedom out of Miami on 4/19. I have already booked the LaQunita Airport East Hotel for our pre-cruise stay, but I am nervous because I've heard some things about the area not being too safe. I have 14 year old twin daughters, so this is a big concern for me. Can anyone give me some feedback on this hotel, or receommend a better choice in the area? We'd like to stay somewhere under 150.00 so for the night. Free shuttle to the Port would be a big plus!

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Beginner

I asked the same question of a friend who just moved from Miami since we are on the Carnival Liberty at the end of May. She said the area right around the port is pretty risky. She suggested staying in the South Beach area. It is just across the bay from the port.

Also, from what I read on some of the boards, the free transportation from some of the hotels is really crazy. Many folks end up just taking a cab due to the long wait times.

Have fun on your cruise!
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Ditch the Quinta, bad area from what is said on Tripadvisor.com

If you want near the port, try either Intercontinental downtown (right across the port & you can see the ships come in, its next to the Marketplace) or the Holiday Inn Express, which is like a block or two away.

Both are safe, but its Miami, so don't do any crazy walking late at night. People have been robbed.

South Beach? Pay a penny....you are at the edge of Spring Break. But here's some hotels right on the beach:

Four Points Sheraton
Couryard by Marriott Oceanside
Fontainebleau (undergoing construction on a new building)

Go to their websites for pricing, you might find lower than the usual Internet companies.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old February 26th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Beginner

Default Safe Hotel near port of Miami

Thanks for the advice. I checked Intercontinental and Holiday Inn and both are booked solid. We don't want to overspend on one night, but I realize that it is an expensive time of year. I checked Trip Advisor and the reviews for La Quinta East were not bad. It seems La Quinta North is questionable. I will check into your suggestions; maybe we can find a better deal. Keep the suggestions coming!
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Although they "say" they are booked. Usually not the case. If you have a travel agent or AAA, go to them. They can usually get a room because of the blocks of rooms that are saved for them, esp. AAA.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:28 PM
First Mate

Default Hotels

There are many hotels that are only a 5 minute taxi ride from the port. Hyatt, Courtyard by Marriott, Clarion, Double Tree, Marriott...good luck

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the information Cassandra. I never thought of this! I do have AAA and I usually use them to book Disney World vacations. I will have to contact my agent and see if she can find any availability for us.
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Beginner

Hi Mike! I knew there were quite a few hotels near the port, but didn't know any of the names. I will research and see if I can come up with availability at any of them. Apparently the one I chose has gotten some bad reviews. This is why I am here seeking the advice of all you seasoned cruisers! Thanks a bunch!
Old March 9th, 2008, 06:47 PM
First Mate

Default Single Mom and Daughter's Perfect Spot!

From one Mother to another -

I always go a day early when sailing out of Miami and have stayed at the Best Western Bayside Hotel - multi story inside rooms (3 Stars by AAA) within a few blocks of the port. There is no shuttle service to the port...but it's a very inexpensive cab ride. It's been several years...but this hotel was much nicer than a typical Best Western although a little costlier - it was still a reasonable price and a short cab ride from the cruise pier (about 5 blocks away). You can walk across the street to the "Bayside"....a beautiful indoor/outdoor shopping mall with many restaurants (Bubba Gump Shrimp, HardRock and many many more), free outdoor concerts at night w/dance area...lots of local entertainers outdoors at night and nice tours of the bay and celebrity homes. There are horsedrawn carriage rides around the area in the evenings as well. It's really an awesome location. I loved the Bayside hotel experience and the activites across the street....as much as the cruise.

Take a taxi from the airport to the hotel and where the doorman will meet you and assist in unloading your bags.
Old March 11th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Beginner

Default Thanks!

Thanks so much for the tip! I would prefer to stay by the Marketplace. I've been doing lots of research and findng a lot of places are booked, but I'll definitely check out the Best Western. I don't mind if there is no free shuttle if the cab ride is inexpensive.
Old March 16th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Single Mom and Daughter's Perfect Spot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2cents
From one Mother to another -

I always go a day early when sailing out of Miami and have stayed at the Best Western Bayside Hotel - multi story inside rooms (3 Stars by AAA) within a few blocks of the port. There is no shuttle service to the port...but it's a very inexpensive cab ride. It's been several years...but this hotel was much nicer than a typical Best Western although a little costlier - it was still a reasonable price and a short cab ride from the cruise pier (about 5 blocks away). You can walk across the street to the "Bayside"....a beautiful indoor/outdoor shopping mall with many restaurants (Bubba Gump Shrimp, HardRock and many many more), free outdoor concerts at night w/dance area...lots of local entertainers outdoors at night and nice tours of the bay and celebrity homes. There are horsedrawn carriage rides around the area in the evenings as well. It's really an awesome location. I loved the Bayside hotel experience and the activites across the street....as much as the cruise.

Take a taxi from the airport to the hotel and where the doorman will meet you and assist in unloading your bags.
Unfortunately, the Best Western you describer is now the Holiday Inn-Downtown. They were bought by Holiday Inn about 4 - 5 years ago. So sorry to break the news!
Old March 19th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Passenger

Default hotels in port

i read the reviews on tripadvisor on the holiday inn portside. the reviews were pretty good. i am going on a cruise in january and that is where our travel agent is going to try and get us some rooms. i love the idea of being next to the big shopping area called bayside.
Old April 27th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to sallyRN

do any of these hotels offer onsite parking while you cruise? We will be driving down to Miami from central florida the day before our cruise in November and it doesnot make much sense to pay for a hotel prior to the cruise and pay for parking at the port.

thanks a lot

sally