Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hurricane Watch
Register Forgot Password?

Hurricane Watch Keep up to date on the latest Weather conditions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Passenger

Default what happens.........?

We are cruising Sept.9-16 on Mariner for our 10th anniversary (Sept.14th ) What exactly happens if there's a hurricane? Has this happened to anyone?
Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Yes, it has happened to me several times. But, not a problem. Since they know well in advance if one is coming, the captain can easily sail the ship out of the path of the storm. That said, we have been caught between 2 hurricanes....statistically unlikely, but it has happened. The "ride" was a little less smooth than usual, but we actually enjoyed it. A cruise ship is actually one of the safest places to be in a hurricane....I know, we live in Florida, near the beach. We've dealt with hurricanes at home and at sea.
Probably the only things that might happen to you on the negative side are having a plane flight cancelled and/or having a change in itinerary.
Let us know if you are still concerned...
Maarty
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Passenger

We live in FL too! Palm Caost (between St. Augustine and Daytona Beach)

Thanks so much for the reply! We're first time cruisers so any and all info. is appreciated.

Take care
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Feel free to ask about anything...cruise related that is!. We Floridians have to stick together. Protection from hurricanes, love bugs and tourists!
(Just kidding about the 3rd one).
Marty
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Admiral

This happened to us on the Mariner during Hurricane Frances. We left Port Canaveral before she hit Florida and because she hovered so long we had 2 extra days of cruising...with about 10 other ships around Cuba. It turned out we couldn't return to PC because the ocean floor moved and it was too shallow so first we were going to dock in Fort Lauderdale but there were too many ships so we ended up in Miami. Hundreds of ppl had to be transferred back to PC to pick up their cars. We had to go to the airport and move our flight from Orlando to Miami. We let all the families fly out first because some had missed school already so we stayed overnight at the Embassy Suites. We had travel insurance and they paid for our hotel stay and meals! Never travel without it.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old June 27th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Passenger

Yes! Definetly getting the travel insurance. I'd be nervous not to.

Thanks, for all the replies so far...this place is great
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

I can only suggest that don't get your heart set on a certain island or tour or whatever.

You may miss the island if the Captain has to change the itinerary or have an extra sea day.

Take it with a grain of salt, if it happens, don't worry, you'll hear enough passengers whining over it. Then you'll be sick of hearing them whine.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:19 AM
Passenger

Actuaually, we're in it more for the ship and being on a cruise than for the ports of call. We booked the Western caribbean vs. the Eastern simply because our actual anniversary falls while we are away for the Western. Being that this is our first cruise, we're excited just to be taking a cruise 8)
Old July 4th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Passenger

We have the same concerns for our first cruise.

We are getting married in Miami which will be 7 yrs and 1 day after we started dating (1 day due to Carnival canceling the original cruise).

I am just looking forward to time away from here and spending time in the middle of nowhere...
Old July 5th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Beginner

Hello,

We are also first time cruisers. Sailing on Carnival Legend 8/19/07. Since this is hurricane time, is it better not to book our shore excursions from home in advance, since we won't know the weather situation. If we end up getting diverted from original itinerary, is it wiser to wait till we're on the ship?

A second question, we see many posts regarding shore excursions through outside sources. It seems to be a lot cheaper and smaller groups. Are they as safe? We are a little confused on this issue. We do see that Carnival for some of the excursions that involve ATV's or speed boats, the driving age is older (21y/o) vrs. 16 or 17 for other vendors. We are a family of Dad, Mom and teenage twin boys age 17. Please advise, my husband would like to do these kinds of things with the boys.

Thanks, Lori
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

I would go ahead and book the excursions if I were you. If they are cancelled you get your money back. Also, I prefer excursions that are ship sponsored. Reason being..... If they are late for any reason returning to the ship, the ship DOES NOT wait. I just feel safer that way personally. Also, I really don't know how safe the excustions are off the ship. We did do an excursion that was not ship sponsored in St. Martin and had no trouble. But again, if the ship cancels your excursion you get your money back. I'm not sure if you cancel what happens.
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Admiral

I also prefer to book tours through the ship. Have tried it on our own and, although cheaper, did not feel as secure in any way. Had one really bad experience doing one on my own and I thought that it was one that would definitely be safe. Hubby also had a bad experience doing one on his own and get hurt. Mostly just a matter of bad luck, but I prefer not to depend on luck, especially on vacation.
Marty