Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2000, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Mexican cruise

Been wondering how this cruise would be? Considering it for a future cruise, but never hear too much about it?? Any ideas, whats a good ship?

Thanks,
Donnassei/Sealover
Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2000, 11:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default RE: Mexican cruise

Are you talking about the Mexican Riviera Cruise? For me it is a great cruise *if* you like beach activities. I mean a real Pacific Ocean beach with waves, not like the warm puddle beaches of the Caribbean. Acapulco, especially out at the Princess hotel (outside the bay) is one of the best beaches I have ever been to - nice waves and warm water. Like San Diego without the chill factor.

But for other activities like shopping or sightseeing - there isn't much there, really, you might as well stay on board. Of course, Im a little jaded having grown up in Phoenix. I never need to shop for Mexican souvenirs ever ever again!

Snorkeling is not very good either - they don't have reefs for fish to feed on like they do in the Caribbean.
Old August 19th, 2000, 05:57 PM
Admiral

Hi Paul,
Yes, Mesican Riviera, sounds like we may enjoy it. I'll just add that one to my list of "do do someday". Thanks for the good advice about cruising there.

Donna
Old August 21st, 2000, 09:31 PM
Vicki C

Hi,
The way to see the Mexican Reviera is to take one of the repositioning cruises that start on the West Coast and end on the East Coast every fall. Or East Coast to West Coast every spring. They are usually a good buy because they are so long and you get to go to some really neat places.
Vicki
Old August 25th, 2000, 08:07 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Vicki...

There is a cruise on the new Carnival Spirit - 16 days including 7 days at sea, through the Panama canal, in March. A long cruise with few Caribbean ports, but a lot of ports on the Mexican Pacific coast.
Old September 1st, 2000, 09:54 AM
Passenger

Hey Paul....We're booked on that Panama Canal Cruise. Now to figure out what to do in the different ports of call. We've cruised the Mexican Riviera many times...and wouldn't be doing it again....except we want to "do" the Panama Canal. I enjoy the Mex. Riviera, I'm just ready to see some other places. Oh well, at least I don't have to worry about what to do in 3 ports on this trip!!! Bon Voyage.
Old September 24th, 2000, 05:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi All:
I'm wondering about doing the Mexican cruise (Carnival or RCCL) out of LA between Jan and March. Hear that's whale watching season. Anybody do this cruise at that time of year?
Also, I'm not a beach and sun person and I'm wondering if there would be activities for me in these ports. Any info you'd like to share is greatly appreciated.
I took my first cruise this past May to Alaska and loved it. So now I'm hooked.
Faith
Old September 24th, 2000, 05:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default whale watching on cruise out of LA

Hi All:
Just wondering--anyone do the Mexcio cruise out of LA on Carnival or RCCL around Jan-March? I hear this is whale watching season. I'm not much of a sun and beach person so I'm wondering if a cruise like this is for me. Any sightseeing, tours etc. offered here thru the cruise lines or independents. I live in the SF Bay Area so cruising out of LA would be convenient for me for a 4, 5 or 7 day cruise. Sorry to post this twice. I just took my first cruise this past May to Alaska. Great scenery and ports and, of course, I loved being on the ship. Now I'm hooked.
Thanks for any info.
Faith
Old September 24th, 2000, 09:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Faith, we are the same way with water interests.

We're going on a 7-day Mexican Riviera trip Oct 29. I am gonna write a review and post it, and will be sure to post when it's available for you to look at it.

Harry Martin
Old September 24th, 2000, 11:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Hary:
Thanks...
I know a big part of a cruise is the ship experience but I still figure, when the ship docks, I'd like to be in a place where I can do other activities than go to a beach.
My Alaska cruise was wonderful--wonderful scenery and great ports.
Faith
Old October 15th, 2000, 07:51 PM
Randi

Dear Harry,
I live and work in Mazatlan and am trying to let all the new folks know that it is much cheaper to buy whatever land excursion you would like to do at the main termianl. On the ship they charge double or triple of what you should pay.
I will be at the gang plank to pick some people up in the morning of Nov. 2. Look for me just to say "Hello".
Have a great cruise.
Randi
Old October 15th, 2000, 07:55 PM
Randi

Dear Faith,
I hear the dolphin experience in Puerta Villarta is great! Check out cruisecritic.com and or cruiseopinion.com for more info.
Good cruising!
Randi
Old October 15th, 2000, 07:58 PM
Randi

Default RE: whale watching on cruise out of LA

Hi Faith,
I moved to Mazatlan from Penngrove, by Santa Rosa. I would be happy to help you with any info that I can about Mazatlan. Don't know much about the others but check out the addresses I left in my other message.
Randi
Old October 16th, 2000, 02:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Randi wrote:
>
> Dear Harry,
> I live and work in Mazatlan and am trying to let all the new
> folks know that it is much cheaper to buy whatever land
> excursion you would like to do at the main termianl.

Randi, thanks so much for the post. So (sounding ignorant) how do we book a trip at the terminal? Is it simple?? (that's my big hot button) I'd rather have something organized, rather than just pay a taxi driver (even though my partner is Mexican, and language is no prob)

Thanks in advance for any further info,
Harry (two weeks and counting!)
Old November 12th, 2000, 03:32 PM
Admiral

Faith,

I had no trouble finding something interesting to do in each of the Mexican Riviera ports that I visited two years ago. I would say that Cabo San Lucas is really oriented toward the water side (snorkeling, diving, and beaches). The glass bottom boat cruise out to Land's End is really neat, and the excursion usually does include some time at a private beach resort. Most of the other ports of call are not the best of beach destinations due to potentially dangerous undercurrents and/or crosscurrents, but you will have no trouble finding something to amuse yourself for a day.

One very nice feature of the Mexican Riviera is that the Mexican authorities have solved the problem of myriads of street vendors by building flee markets in each port of call and offering booths in the flea markets to street vendors free of charge. While you may encounter a few street vendors, you won't be harassed to anywhere near the degree that's typical of some other destinations. Within the flea markets, the vendors pretty well stay by their booths where they can keep an eye on their merchandise so, even there, the degree of harassment is not extreme.

Having cruised the Mexican Riviera two years ago, I would not refuse to go back but, all things being equal, probably would choose another destination over a return trip.

Norm.
Old November 12th, 2000, 03:39 PM
Admiral

Donna,

I went down the Mexican Riviera (Los Angeles to Acapulco with stops in Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, and Zituanejo and an overnight stay in Acapulco) aboard MV Sun Princess two years ago. It's definitely worth doing once, and be sure to book

>> the shore excursion that combines the glass bottom boat tour and the visit to the beach resort in Cabo San Lucas and

>> the city tour (with cliff divers) and visit to the Acapulco Princess Hotel in Acapulco.

In the other ports of call, you will have no trouble finding a tour that will amuse you for a day.

As I noted in another post, the Mexican authorities solved the "street vendor" problem by building flea markets and giving the booths away, free of charge, to the street vendors. While some street vendors remain, their numbers are very few so you won't be harassed continuously as soon as you set foot ashore.

Norm.
Old November 12th, 2000, 10:18 PM
Randi

Dear Donna,
If you want some good reviews on the Mexican Riveria cruise check out cruisecritic.com or cruiseopinion.com.
Look under the line you're coming in on.
I live and work in Mazatlan Mexico and if I can answer any questions you have about us please write.
Old November 13th, 2000, 06:37 PM
Admiral

Hi Randi,
Thanks for the tips, will check it out :-)

Donnassei/Sealover
Old November 22nd, 2000, 05:13 PM
Dana Cline

Randi,

We're planning on being on the Elation arriving Mazatlan December 21. According to your web site, the Thursday tour doesn't return until 6 or 7, but unfortunately our ship is only there 8-5.

We would like to do your (highly rated) horseback island tour but are limited to the 8-5 realm. It would probably be me, my wife, and 4 kids. Any suggestions?

You can reach me at 102212.3111@compuserve.com until the morning of Dec 17th when we board.

Dana
Old January 23rd, 2001, 04:51 PM
Teach

We have done this cruise 3 times and are going agin on the Elation next week. Puerto Vallarta. there is a nice hotel right next to the pier about a block to swim. Cabs at the pier will take you downtown for about $4 a person and drop you off at the plaza and you can walk to the Cathederal and the native market and shop all you want.For about $25 a person for 4 you can get a cab to take you all over from Gringo gulch to the beach of Night Of The Iguana and any sights between but shop first as cabs can be caught downtown so dont wast your tour time shopping you'll see more. In Mazatlan you can catch a cab to the gold goast or tourest area for $8 a cab full and shop or the same to the downtown plaza to see the cathederal altho at times this area can be scary. and the beggers are not restricted to sitting on the curb as at the gold coast. Senor frogs is on the way to the GC for the party people. Cabo has a native market on the pier and nice stroll around the harbor if you dont want to do the beach and glass bottem boat . The stay is realy short on a big ship as you must tender in. Going in Jan. or Feb . it can get cool and rough off Baja but the weather in the ports is mild and great. Take an RCL ship if you like to swim as they have covered pools and Carnival dosn't to get the most out your at sea time at this time of year. Have a nice trip Teach
Old January 23rd, 2001, 04:55 PM
Teach

Default Re: whale watching on cruise out of LA

I'm going next week on the elation and will post a note if we see any at this time Teach
Old February 6th, 2001, 05:01 PM
Linda Marie

Just returned from cruising the Mexican Riviera 2 weeks ago, aboard RCL's Rhapsody of the Seas. If you want to spend more time in Cabo San Lucas,take this cruise. I'm not a beach person myself,but had lots of fun just shopping & eating. Found some delicious prawns in Mazatlan at a sidewalk cafe called The Shrimp Factory. Every night before a day in port, a map & shopping & dining recommendations of each place,is delivered to your cabin, which we found most helpful.
Old February 21st, 2001, 12:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Linda,
We are going on the same cruise on 4/1/01. Thanks for the tips. Is there anything else you can tell me. I "coerced" my in-laws into going with us and I want them to have a good time. I'm sure they will, but i also want them to have as much info as possible. How was the ship? I haven't cruised since 1989 and I went on the RCCL Song of America. I'm sure this ship is many times better, and there was nothing wrong with that ship. We do have cabins on the Commodore deck (category 'd') with a balcony.
Thanks!
Faith
Old February 21st, 2001, 08:24 PM
Linda Marie

Dear Faith,
What do your in-laws like to do? The Rhapsody of the Seas is a real "showboat", offering every kind of entertainment imaginable! Fabulous broadway style shows,weekly celebrity guests,( the week I was aboard, Bobby Arvonne,the composer of the theme song of the TV show,"Happy Days" on Monday night, and Herman's Hermits on Friday night.) Leon at the piano bar, karaoke, comedy shows,theme dances,etc. During the day and early evening,lots of different games are played, plus demonstrations of cooking,perfume and napkin folding.
This is the perfect ship for a family reunion,
as you can see by the diverse activities.Our party consisted of me & my mother plus 6 cousins & my mother's youngest aunt. We were seated at table #115 on the 2nd level of the Eidelweiss Dining Room ,on Deck 5. Service,of course, was sublime and made up for everything. I'm sure the food has improved since last month. We set sail on Sunday,Jan.14th,but,unfortunatly,nothing was delicious until Wednesday.
Our cabin was located on Deck 2,with a two-sided window only 1 foot above the ocean.What a view!
A word of warning, if you love coffee, bring your own! Too strong in the Eidelweiss,too weak in the Windjammer Cafe. Only recently,I was informed that RCCL is not known for providing good coffee. Hopefully, this will change,with the addition of coffeehouses to their new ships.
By the following Sunday, the crew felt like family,making leaving difficult :'-(

Have fun!
Old February 22nd, 2001, 12:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Linda,
Thanks for the info!
About the coffee, good tip! My husband and sister-in-law are BIG coffee drinkers. If we bring our own should we bring a little coffee maker too? I'm not sure what is provided in the cabin. Only 38 more days! I can't wait. What about clothes for the men? We are going to try and get my husband a suit, but for the other nights are dockers/khaki's okay with a pullover shirt? I'm assuming no "jeans" in the dining room, right?

How were the shore excursions?

Sorry about the 20 questions.

Thanks!
Faith
Old February 22nd, 2001, 07:16 PM
Linda Marie

Hi Faith,
Yes, bring a little 4-cup coffee maker with you.
There's an outlet on the vanity as well as in the bathroom. Considering your balcony cabin,there's probably more than that. Be sure to ask for dairy coffee cream,(unless you like non-dairy creamer).

Our category i outside cabin contained a tv set,a computerized safe, a love seat with glass accent table, a vanity and next to each bed,a nightstand with 2 nice,deep drawers. The closet is very ample and is double barred. Besides a coffeemaker, the only other thing you'll need is a hair dryer.

There are only 2 formal nights,Monday and Friday.
Save the jeans for Wednesday Western Night,after dinner. Otherwise, it's all resort casual.

Since we were with family who had been to Mexico before, we didn't take any shore excursions. Tender tickets for Cabo San Lucas are free,and are issued early in the morning. Best selection of quality T-shirts here! Town is only a short walk from the pier. While there, we visited the famous Cabo Wabbo cantina, for a cool drink.Then,we shopped,ate lunch and tendered back to the ship.
BTW, each night before a day in port,our steward left in our cabin a map and shopping and dining recomendations for each place ,which we found most helpful.
As for Mazatlan and Puerto Valliarta,the ship pulls right up to the curb,making shore leave effortless.
I hope you get nice weather in PV,there was heavy rain when we arrived. Funny thing about tropical rain,it falls as a mist,but makes huge puddles on cobblestones and bricks. The natives were more shocked than we were to see a downpour in January,not expecting rain til June. Fortunatly,it's not a cold rain,like we get here in Oregon. Instead, it's very hot and humid.
Old July 8th, 2001, 09:28 AM
captaintom

Have a great deal on the Elation out of LA on March 17th for 7 days if interested as part of 22 Stateroom booking.
Old August 21st, 2001, 09:40 PM
Rob H

Out of curiosity, as we are now booked with Sea Princes for Nov 2001, do you use US $ on shore ?
Old August 21st, 2001, 11:29 PM
Linda Marie

Yes, you can! As well as traveler's checks and credit cards ashore.
Old August 22nd, 2001, 01:34 PM
Rob H

many thanks Linda,