Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Douglas

Default Costa Maya, Mexico

The walk to Mahahual is approximately 20 minutes. You can get a ride to the town from the pier. The town is actually 3 miles long. The main "commercial centre" is where you get dropped off. I f you walk a short distance away from the town you will find other bars and restaurants. The town of Mahahual is very safe for all visitors, (contrary to the information given out on some of the cruise ships).

The Dive Centres in Mahahual are BLUE HA DIVING and BUCANERO DEL CARIBE.
Both Dive operators offer resort courses. Blue Ha is a PADI center and can be booked through Mayahual Tours at the cruiseship pier. Bucanero del Caribe (CMAS) can also be booked at the pier. Both organisations try to accommodate people’s wishes but the most important thing is to get the people back to the ship. Blue Ha has all Scubapro equipment and Bucanero has a variety of equipment.

Blue Ha can be contacted through doug@bluehadiving.com or info@bluehadiving.com

Mahahual Village now has: - Snorkel tours, wave runners, fishing, parasailing, and horseback riding, Scuba Diving. 2 operators with booths at the pier are Mayahual Tours (3 booths) and Let's Go Snorkelling. These tour operators organise a trip to town for 5USD per person. The return trip is 2 USD per person with the local taxis. There are a lot of beach bars and restaurants in the area. Shopping for souvenirs is also possible at more moderate prices than offered at the Pier.

Parasailing is now being offered by MAYAHUAL TOURS who have 3 booths at the cruise ship pier.
The snorkel tour operators all have locker facilities for storing personal items of guests. There are three in the town, Mayahual Tours; (20:00USD per person. 1&1/2 hour trip) they have 3 booths at the cruise ship pier selling their trips. They will arrange transport for you or you can go directly into town and they have a stand on the beach just as you come into town. The other is Let's Go Snorkelling- their prices are the same and can arrange transport into town. By the way it costs 5 USD per person for the trip to town. Once in town you return by yellow cab and this will cost 2 USD per person. (Do not ask about this idiosyncrasy in prices). The third place for snorkelling is in the centre of the town (or we should really say Village). They are next door to the Taxis. Their prices are the same. Lifejackets are on board.

As for eating and drinking there are few places worth mentioning: -
OXTANKHA serves the best Ceviche in town -- Ceviche is raw conch, prawns and sometimes Octopus marinated in Lime Juice. It is served with tomato and onion and taco chips.
TAPAS Bar Italian Argentinean owners. Serve good food and drinks, they have a place on the beach with tables and chairs.
Another good recommendation is PEZ QUADRO. This is about 800 yards south of the town centre. Italian run. A beautiful beach bar with swing seats serving cocktails, beer, Italian and Mexican cuisine. There are others like, CAPTAIN MONO and El Delfin.

In Mahahual there are a few restaurants offering excellent cuisine in the day and evenings. There is the Restaurant LUNA PLATA offering Italian pasta and other meat dishes, run by Italians, Dario, Edzekiel, and Luca. The next restaurant next door is TIROVINO run by Chiara and Michael. They offer Thailand dishes and pasta. In the town centre is OXTANKHA offering Mexican dishes. There is also the TEQUILA BEACH, which offers various meals. Later in the evening is Music. On Cruise ship days these places are always open.
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Costa Maya, Mexico

Where exactly is this Mahahual?

Norwegian Sea

Yankee Clipper Windjammer 1978
Celebration 01/04
Old January 11th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Douglas

Mahahual is the small fishing village just outside of the huge Cruise Ship Pier called Costa Maya. This has now become a calling port for Carneval, Princess, Holland-America and other lines. The unfortunate thing you check the web site of Puertocostamaya and there is no mention of this place. This is because they wish to keep everyone in their area. It is worth a visit if you are not taking one of the ships organized tours.
Old February 7th, 2004, 05:57 PM
ShannonR

Any suggestions on Mayan Ruins while in Costa Maya?
Old February 12th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Passenger

Hey Douglas,

After reading your and a couple other reviews of the Costa Maya port of call, my wife and I have changed our plans. The review of Mahahual is exactly what we are looking for. It sounds totally cool, and relaxing.

We had scheduled a 4x4 Unimog Beach Expedition, and have decided to cancel, my wife and I would much rather spend our money at one of the little bars, and restaurants in Mahahual get a little flavor of the culture and knock back some cervezas, and just kicking back and enjoying the beach atmosphere.

We are so glad that we read your review, and we are looking forward to our visit. We are going to sit at TAPAS on the beach, drink, have lunch and drink somemore. See ya in April. Grand Princess.

Cyclone
Old February 15th, 2004, 01:34 AM
Douglas

Default Re: Re: Costa Maya, Mexico

Probably Chacchobben are the favourites. They are only 1 hour away as opposed to 2 hours. You then get back early enough to explore the rest of Costa maya and Mahahual.
Old February 18th, 2004, 02:17 PM
brian kleinschmidt

any idea how much for the parasailing at mahahual you mettioned there is a couple places...would love to do this....thanks so much chef brian
Old February 18th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Douglas

The parasailing boat is out for repair at the moment but should be back in 2 weeks. They charge 45 USD for a 15 minute ride.
Old February 19th, 2004, 09:44 AM
brian kleinschmidt

i will be there on march 12th do u think it will be fixed by then and what is the name of the place to parasail
Old February 21st, 2004, 06:49 PM
Douglas

No idea at the moment, but there is only one place offering it. That is Mayahual tours with 3 booths in the cruise pier complex. Hopefully it will be up and running. The problem is getting spare parts for boats here. Most have to come from the states and this can take weeks.
Old February 27th, 2004, 08:38 AM
brian kleinschmidt

hello doug i have another question...someone said there is a place near the fishing village of mayahual that does massages on the beach..have you heard of these places and do u know where they are and how much they cost thanks for any help you can be...i will be there on the 13th on march thanks so much chef brian
Old February 27th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Douglas

At the moment massages are not being offered but this could change. If I hear of it I will post it.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Hey Doug,

We are putting together school supplies for the school there in Majahaul....we'll be in port on March 17th and want to help out as much as possible. We have already gotten about 4 spanish kids books and some matchbox cars and some coloring books and plan on getting some pencils, erasers, tape, colored pencils, and some other stuff...enough to fill up 2 backpacks which we'll also give them to keep....

Is it pretty easy to find the school there? I'm thinking I can ask a taxi driver to take me to the kindergarton school, right? I want the small kids school (kindergarton?)....Do they welcome people coming over with supplies? Plus what are their hours so we don't miss them...we will be there in the morning so I'm thinking that would be good.

I am also going to get a picture of the city I live in so the kids can see it and maybe hang it up plus a world map to show them where we live compared to their village.

Any other suggestions on what they may need?

Our 10 yr old daughter will be with us and I want to show her the school and how the kids are taught...I'm making it a learning experience to her...me I'm looking forward to a couple hugs from the kids

Old March 3rd, 2004, 08:42 PM
Douglas

The kindergarten is easy to find. It is a 2 minute walk from the taxi rank in the town centre. They will be very happy with the supplies. The kindergarten is open from 8:00am to 1:00pm Central time.
Old March 4th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Douglas

Parasailing boat is back. Will be operational as from 8th March 2004. The price has changed it is now 60 USD for a 15 minute ride.
Old March 7th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Passenger

Douglas-
Some of my friends and I are cruising on Royal Carribean for spring break and one of our stops in Costa Maya. What would you suggest we do? We have until 3pm and we would love at some point to be at the beach. Where would be fun to go and how should we get there?? Thanks so much for any help that you can provide...
Old March 11th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Douglas

Try Pez Quadro for a good fun beach bar with volley ball and other games.
Old March 12th, 2004, 11:52 AM
jlynd53

Alli, You can walk to Mahahual or get a taxi - $5/person round trip. Pez Quadro is a neat beach bar. I have pictures of it that I will try to get posted in the Photo gallery section of this site this weekend. If you are looking for a wild spring break kind of atmosphere you are more likely to find that at the beach located at the pier in Costa Maya. If you want to enjoy the beautiful beach, relax and have some drinks you will enjoy Mahuhual. The prices at Pez Quadro were $3/mixed drinks, $2/beer and $.75/soft drinks. I'm not sure what the drink prices were at the pier bars because we did not go there but there were a lot of very drunk people headed back to the ships at the end of the day. I hope this helps!
Old March 13th, 2004, 06:02 PM
kala

I suggest you wear comfortable shoes and walk from the pier to the village. It really is beautiful. You will see Iquanas if you look close. Some very large. Please stop at Tequila Beach Club, the food is wonderful! They have a beautiful beach, no charge for the layout chairs, food is cheap, drinks are cheap!!! It's only about 300 yards down the path from the village.

We just got back from our cruise Thursday. This place was my favorite of all. Beware of the shops anywhere you go.. If they tell you something is $25.00 you can get them down to $10 to $12. It seems they tell you $25.00 for anything they sell. You can get the real colorful mexican blankets for $13.00 if you try hard enough.
Old March 13th, 2004, 06:04 PM
kala

They were giving massages in the facility that located at the pier. It was right on the waterfront!!! Very nice.. I was just there on 3-9-04.
Old March 21st, 2004, 05:23 PM
Admiral

We just came back from our cruise today!
We took a taxi to Mahahual and it was 3.00/pp....one way...we walked back along the beach which was a pretty long walk but saw some iguanas and such.
We delivered school supplies to the HS there and the kindergarton (3-5 yrs old) and it was a very nice experience! The little ones gave us HUGE hugs and loved us so much! They got so excited when we brought out lollipops ...made my entire cruise so worth while!!!