Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisin' Meme
Default photo ops & museums?

We're headed to the Mexican Riviera in April (Cabo, Mazatlan, & PV), and I'm looking for opinions on must-see places for photography. We love old buildings, the water (duh!), lighthouses, and whatever else is interesting & unique. We're from Ohio, and we've shot farms and forests til we can shoot them no more. Where should we make sure to visit?

Also, my dh and I enjoy touring museums big and small. I haven't seen any mentioned for any of these 3 ports. Do you know of any worth visiting?

Thanks for your input!!
-Amy
Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2005, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: photo ops & museums?

Amy, there is a cultural museum in Puerto Vallarta in the center of town, but I've never stopped in there.

In terms of photo ops, I can suggest the following:

* The Rio Cuale area of PV ... a tropical river area that runs smack through the center of downtown PV.

* The Malecon area of PV offers beautiful statuary with the sparkling Pacific as the background.

* The Agua Molina Hotel along Los Muertos Beach in PV is gorgeous old-time Mexico look with its adobe facade.

* The Colonial Villages tour in Mazatlan offers two stops at quanity 300-year-old Mexican towns -- gorgeous rock cathedral. Also, many chances to soak up local color along the teeny side streets. You can book this thru the cruiseline or through Frank at mazatlan-tours.com.

* The marina area of Cabo is gorgeous.

* Of course, Los Arcos rock formations in Cabo ... take the cruiseline tour or go on your own and book at the pier for $12 for a glass bottom boat ride out to the formations.

Hope that helps.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 21st, 2005, 01:07 PM
Admiral

If you take a cab up the adventuresome roads to the restaurant Las Carmelitas, you will see what is probably the best possible view of Banderas Bay and the P.V. Village and coastline. The food in this palapa style out-of-door restaurant is excellent. You will even enjoy dining with chickens, dogs, and cats cruising in and around the restaurant.

This place is amazing, to say the least. Go at sunset for a dining treat you will never forget. I guarantee the photos from here will keep your P.V. visit in your heart forever.
Old January 21st, 2005, 11:02 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisin' Meme

Thanks for your input!!
Old January 22nd, 2005, 08:14 AM
First Mate

Amy,

I would agree with Harry about the areas he has suggested for PV. I can't comment about Las Carmelitas because I've never been there - maybe this next trip.

While you are on Los Muertos beach, think about taking some pictures of the beach vendors - they are always dressed in white and have a lot of character.... Also the wares they have. I took some closeups of the contents of a briefcase full of silver jewelry. At the hotel we stayed at (Fiesta Americana). I took pictures of the pottery and masks that were displayed tables near the pool. The colors are varied and vivid...

The sculptures as Harry said on the Malecon are interesting studies....there is the one that has become somewhat of a symbol for PV, the Boy on a Seahorse.....as well, the Bustamante, Looking for Reason (it's the one with the ladder...you'll understand once you see it)...

The large church in the central part of town is not that pretty...if you are expecting something built in the 1500-1600 hundreds, you will be disappointed - it was built less than 60 years ago...still, you can get a nice shot of the steeple from the end of the Malecon...and while you're there shoot the arches sculpture...

The most interesting subjects I found were while walking around the south side of town...the part south of the river Harry mentions...there are interesting architectural details that make nice shots.....doorways framed in rasberry colored trim....a display of glass in a window....there is a tile shop (not exactly sure of the location, but Southside) with all sorts of tiles, fountains, sinks, etc. in bright patterns and colors...I took shots of a display of sinks on a wall.....there is also a shop that sells artificail flowers and fruits....they have a display of hanging chili peppers of all colors that made an interesting shot...

I know you have a limited amount of time, but my recommendation would be to spend it on the southside, both to take photos and to enjoy the food and other refreshments that are offered there in great profusion.....no matter what you decide, PV is a lovely experience...enjoy...

Sid1962
Old January 22nd, 2005, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Great tips, Sid! Thanks for expanding on 'em.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 22nd, 2005, 12:01 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: photo ops & museums?

Harry,

My pleasure. I've gotten so much good stuff from this board. When I can contribute a little something I am more than happy to do so....

Sid1962