Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Passenger

Default Mexican Riviera Port Info

My wife and I are sailing on Carnival Prode in October. This is our 9th cruise but first to
this area.
We are mid/late 40's and not big beach/snorkel fans. We prefer sightseeing,taking in the local culture, having lunch in nice local restaurants and for my wife shopping.Also like taking in the natural sights, but nothing too strenuos like hiking,climbing.
We would like some recommendations for Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2005, 09:03 PM
cali-croozer

Default Re: Mexican Riviera Port Info

We took this cruise when the Elation sailed it, but we are beach lovers/snorkelers. While you are waiting for other replies, why don't you check Carnival's website and check out their shore excursions. It will give you an idea of the different things to do in each port. My parents take sightseeing tours in each port when they cruise and really enjoy them. You won't be in Cabo long, and you can probably tour the town on your own. I think you can go see the cliff divers in Mazatlan.

Happy planning. I'm sure others will chime in!
Old July 26th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Mexican Riviera Port Info

Cali-croozer thanks for the reply.
I guess I am also trying to find out if you can just walk around as you mentioned in Cabo, or if its better to take an organized tour. We have done both on past cruises,but having sailed mostly Caribbean, these ports are all new to us.
Old July 26th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

I would also suggest looking at other cruise lines shore excursions for comparison in the Mex Riv.

The port town of Cabo has grown tremendously, you can spend hours walking and shopping, also a wide variety of eateries.

Sea of Cortez on Ryndam 9-28-2005

Round trip Los Angeles to Hawaii, Summit March 26, 2006

Vancouver Alaska Los Angeles, Sept 16, 2006 on Summit

Old July 26th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Passenger

Y2C, Thanks
I have also thought i would pick up a Frommers book to get some info.
Old July 26th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

My lady and I are the types that just walk off the dock into town to see what's there. You really DO NOT have to sign up for any excursions. Cabo has a beautiful beach just south and west of the dock, and the hotel welcomed us into the lobby. We walked past the pool to the beach and as far south as we could (we could not get to Los Arcos, but sunned for a while next to the rocks). We had great fish tacos and a beer before walking back to the dock. Total cost about $10.

In Mazatlan there is a brewery and the central part of the old town that are not far from the dock, including an old church that is visible from the ship.

Puerta Vallarta is very charming, and a pleasant bus ride (cost about 80 cents each way) from the main highway just outside the public dock area. There is also a Sam's Club and Walmart across the highway from the dock. The old town center has great walking, shopping, nice beaches and the old cathedral. We have also just walked south along the beach from the dock and relaxed on lounges at the many resort hotels along the beach.
Old July 27th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Passenger

Thanks Jeff,
The idea of just being able to walk from the ship and find things to do sounds good to me.