CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Mexico (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/mexico/)
-   -   transfer from Ensenada, Mexico (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/mexico/319254-transfer-ensenada-mexico.html)

frank_holland August 17th, 2006 06:47 AM

transfer from Ensenada, Mexico

Our cruise will end in Ensenada, Mexico and our airplane departs from San Diego, California. Does anybody know any information about how we could get from Ensenada to San Diego and what this will cost us ? Thanks.
Are there driving cabs all the way to San Diego, or do we have to change cabs at the border ? Things like that are very welcome.

Rev22:17 August 17th, 2006 02:12 PM

Frank,

Our cruise will end in Ensenada, Mexico and our airplane departs from San Diego, California. Does anybody know any information about how we could get from Ensenada to San Diego and what this will cost us ? Thanks.
Are there driving cabs all the way to San Diego, or do we have to change cabs at the border ? Things like that are very welcome.

Your best bet in this situation is to book transfers through your cruise line. It will be seamless (the buses will pick you up right at the pier and take you to your airline's terminal at the airport) and you probably will have a lot less hassle going through U. S. immigraton and customs at the border.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.

frank_holland August 17th, 2006 03:43 PM

Hello Norm,

Thanks for your quick reply. We make our cruise with 3 adults and when we book with our cruise agency we have to pay $100 each to get from Mexico to San Diego. We assumed that we were able to travel for less then $300 if we managed to find our own way towards San Diego.
Our airplane only leaves the day after, so we're not in a hurry to get to the airport and we can go to our hotel by shuttle from the airport, so that's not the problem.

Thanks,
Frank

Rev22:17 August 17th, 2006 07:40 PM

Frank,

Thanks for your quick reply. We make our cruise with 3 adults and when we book with our cruise agency we have to pay $100 each to get from Mexico to San Diego. We assumed that we were able to travel for less then $300 if we managed to find our own way towards San Diego.
Our airplane only leaves the day after, so we're not in a hurry to get to the airport and we can go to our hotel by shuttle from the airport, so that's not the problem.

Good luck. I have not heard of anybody going to Ensenada other than to board a cruise ship. The route from Ensenada to San Diego is not exactly the beaten path for commercial transportation. The quoted price of $100 per person sounds very expensive for the cruise line's transfer service. I would expect to pay no more than half of that price.

You might also want to consider that the crossings along the Mexican border are the subject of an ongoing crackdow due to illegal immigration. The cruise ine's transfers probably will not be the subject of immigration officers' concers at the checkpoint, whereas some other vehicle might draw a lot closer scrutiny at the border.

JTOL, your best bet might be to book your hotel through the cruise line. The quoted price may sound a bit steep, but the cruise lines generally use the better hotels and include the transfers in the package.

Norm.

marvlgirl August 23rd, 2006 05:03 PM

Definitely use the cruise ships transfers. Even at $100 pp it is worth the aggrevation you will find in getting there from San Diego. I live in San Diego and have my whole life and I will tell you that while I have been to Mexico too many times to count and feel that I "know" my way around well enough I would still take the Cruise Transport.

Here are a few of the reasons:

1. Immigration Issues
2. Toll Road
3. Getting Lost bc they have changed the route or the road
4. Road Bandits
5. Hassle of changing cabs at Border
6. You have to walk across the border with all your luggage

So take it from someone that has more experience in these matters - Do not try to save a few bucks, just use the cruise lines mode of transport.

Have fun!