Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Admiral

Default Has anyone done this tour?

I was looking at Mazatlan Frank's tour page and noticed the city and resort tour hotel playa Mazatlan. It sounds like a good tour has anyone done it? Does it include lunch and drinks? Any information would be helpful. Here is a link to the tour I'm talking about.
http://www.mazatlan-frank.com/PLAYAMAZ.html

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Admiral

Okay I just found another tour that sounds interesting. City and Playa Bruja tour I have hear Playa Bruja is a nice beach. Which would you do?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 20th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Admiral

In Mazatlan I would skip the tours unless you do the colonial villages tour.

Instead I would take one of the open air taxis to the Zona Dorado (Golden Zone) There I would spend about a half day exploring, shopping, etc. Then I would taxi back to the ship. This will cost you about $6.00 each way.

In the afternoon, I would walk less than half a mile. (to the left as you would be exiting the cruise ship terminal) I would then take a water taxi at the very small embarcadero to Stone Island, which costs a whopping $2.oo per person round trip. This is a lovely beach with great palapa restaurants, wonderful strolling, water sports, etc. This will give you an overview of the city and a great beachy afternoon for very little (almost nothing) money.

This is just my idea of a "great" day in Mazatlan. I've been there four times and this was our favorite day so far.
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the advice, I do want to be careful with my spending on this trip. So this may be the way to go. I have heard good things about the golden zone. I'm not sure about stone island, is it a good spot to swim in the ocean? Is there a good restuarant to have some food and drinks?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:51 PM
Admiral

We had lunch at Carmelita's. It is in the middle of several palapa restaurants. There were a couple of other very nice restaurants right next to Carmelita's. The food was very good and they had authentic Mexican coastal fare. The service was excellent and this restaurant was especially clean and well cared for.

The beach is almost too calm but you can swim there or take a banana boat ride. You can also rent ATVs and drive around on the sandy beach if that is your mood.

Most of all it as a VERY quiet place to escape the hubbub of Mazatlan, which is a very noisy busy shipping port more than it is a resort town.
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Are the vendors less pushy on Stone Island? I read some good reviews about stone island on tripadvisor. Except for the horses they use for the horseback rides, several people reported the horses were under fed. I don't horse back ride so it's not an issue. I just want to hang at the beach, swim in the ocean, and soak up some rays. Stone Island sounds like my spot. Thanks for your information. One last question, what did you order at Carmelita's? I'm wondering what authentic Mexican coastal fare is. For some reason Shrimp pops to mind.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:18 AM
Admiral

There were almost no vendors on Stone Island, very few anyway. It is VERY quiet there. It might be too quiet for some people.

We had grilled seafood dishes. The fresh fish is caught daily and is quite excellent. They also have quesadillas, hamburguesas, nachos, ceviche, stuffed avocados, etc. They even have hammocks, umbrellas, chairs, and anything you might need for a relaxing day at the beach.

They will treat you like you are a member of their family. I'm not kidding.