Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Pam Temple

Default excursions

We are taking the Galaxy from Balto to NewEngland and Canada May 27. We have not been able to obtain any information on excursions from Celebrity Cruise Lines. What excursions, if any, would you recommend in:

Bar Harbor, Maine
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Sydney, Nova Scotia
Quebec City, Quebec
Portland, Maine

Also, it sounds like the weather for late May, early June will be a "mixed bag" - true?

Thank you, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Pam
Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2002, 05:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: excursions

Go to the Celebrity web sight, bring up the cruise itinerary you will be on. You will be able to click through to the excursions available in each city on you cruise.
Old March 15th, 2002, 08:45 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: excursions

Went last year in Early June to Halifax. 1 day was great one was cold it is a mixed bag. Also, usually the ships excursions are more expensive. Halifax is like a mini San Fran and the people are so nice. All the shops sit on the Harbor. As you get off the ship there is an area of sightseeing booths that you can check out or you can take a cab for $6.00 to the Sheraton where the shopping is. Also Grayline has a booth outside the Sheraton and the tours leave around 9AM. I took a 3hr tour, "A 3 hrs tour", lol and it was great and more reasonable than the cruise ship. If you go to WWW.Halifaxns.com you will get info. Just check out the other ports also using your search engines. The cruise lines make big buck for this why not save and do it yourself. It can be alot of fun........You might want to check out WWW.grayline.com and see if you can have a brochure mailed to you on the ports.
Old April 17th, 2002, 11:00 AM
First Mate

We signed up, thanks to someone on one of these boards, for a 6.5 hour oldquebectour.com tour, of quebec and country side. The price is about $33 US. It is $54.95 Canadian. If you book on line, do not put in your credit card number. The site isn`t secure, but you don`t need to give your credit card info anyway. as they will take money or credit card the day of the cruise. They pick you up at the gangplank. Celbrity`s price is $90
Old April 17th, 2002, 11:01 AM
First Mate

I meant to say day of the TOUR, not cruise.
Old April 18th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Pat
What is the link for the old quebec tour? Tried oldquebectour.com but it didn't work.

Thanks
Old April 18th, 2002, 10:52 AM
First Mate

It is oldquebectours.com They also have a 1 800 number. It is 1 800 267 8687. I spoke with Remi. They have 4 tours, all much cheaper than the ship tours. I picked the town and country tour, 2 hours seeing the city, and 4 hours seeing the countryside. It doesn`t include lunch like the ship tour does, but for the price difference, I can buy several lunches. They will pick us up at the gangplank. The buses hold 20 to 30 people. Now I am looking for something in Hallifax and Sydney. Will be on the Galaxy on May 27. Booked a hotel on priceline.com in Baltimore. It is the Marriott for $60. Priceline charges a $5.95 fee, and there were some room taxes, too. It was a good deal for us. The price I saw on the internet was $188 a night. Sent for a grayline brochure, so I will see what they have for tours. Hope this helps. Pat
Old April 18th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Historically, Memorial Day weekend it Rains! The weather this week has been absolutely gorgeous - 90's record breaking temp yesterday. The top has been down on the convertible even early in the evening. In Portland, if there is a tour to include Damassacota, ME and the Pemiguid Lighthouse, I highly recommend that. Peggy's Cove is quaint at Quebec as is the city itself. You can take a private tour to the Mansions in Newport. Enjoy your self. It probably won't be beach weather, so touring will be very comfortable. Bring a light spring jacket and a few pair of slacks/jeans for daytime were just in case.
Bon Voyage
Old April 18th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: excursions

Pat
Thanks for the link. Now I just have to decide which tour to take . They all sound good.

jj
Old April 19th, 2002, 07:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

I plan to join you May 27 out of Baltimore. Have email all the tourist and vistors bureaus. Just got Bar Harbor and Halifax's Gray Line tours.
Sydney I'm just going to walk the town for free. I hear there is an old fashion soda fountain in town, my go looking for it.
Halifax it looks like the bus for me. Peggys cove sounds like a tourist trap. I may be wrong, but what the hea. Its my pick.
Others ??
Hope to see everyone.
Robert