CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   New England / Canada (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/new-england-canada/)
-   -   Any advice for Brooklyn Cruise Terminal? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/new-england-canada/337253-any-advice-brooklyn-cruise-terminal.html)

mommylou46 August 1st, 2007 10:03 PM

Any advice for Brooklyn Cruise Terminal?

Anyone sailed in or out of Brooklyn? Is it hard to get a cab there? Will we see the Statue of Liberty when we go by? Anything helpful will be welcome.

Dixie Lee August 6th, 2007 12:25 PM

Haven't sailed out of the BCT yet, but this is the info I have gathered from other sources of information:

May take some time to get a cab upon disembarkation.

Yes, you will see the Statue of Liberty when you sail away.

How will you be getting to the BCT? If by car service or taxi, especially taxi, have the address and directions to the terminal with you as the terminal is fairly new and not all drivers know how to get there.

mommylou46 August 7th, 2007 12:47 PM

We will be arriving at Brooklyn from a Canada/New England cruise on the Grand Princess. Going to spend some extra days in NYC area, so will need to go to our hotel in New Jersey. Rather nervous about the arrival, but we are hoping for the best.

Dixie Lee August 7th, 2007 02:11 PM

We, too, were nervous about navigating in and around NYC; still are, somewhat. But the pre-cruise part I think we are comfortable with now. We will use a car service to take us from LGA to our hotel in Brooklyn. But, based on posts we have read recently, there does seem to be some dilemmas in getting out of the BCT upon disembarkation for those who are not driving. I haven't gotten any satisfactory answers to that yet. It seems that you can't reserve a car service upon return? Not sure, guess I will ask when I make our reservation for pickup from LGA. If that is the case, then we will call for one or grab a cab. It seems that the taxi situation is either feast or famine - have read posts that there are plenty waiting in line and then have read posts complaining that they are far and few between. Can't quite get the pulse on this issue. I'm just glad that I made our flight reservations for late in the afternoon; might take us that long to get out of there!

loves to travel June 27th, 2008 01:36 PM

Re: Any advice for Brooklyn Cruise Terminal?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommylou46
Anyone sailed in or out of Brooklyn? Is it hard to get a cab there? Will we see the Statue of Liberty when we go by? Anything helpful will be welcome.

Getting to the terminal by taxi is no problem but I highly suggest you get the transfer from the ship to get back to Manhatten. When we did this there were literally about three taxis. Can't remember if you see the Statue of Liberty - I think so. When you leave from NY City, you go right pass her.

Rosemary

Dixie Lee June 28th, 2008 02:58 PM

The view of NYC and the Statue of Liberty is breathtaking. We got excellent pics of both.
When you leave the terminal, be ready to cross under the Verrazano Bridge. Get a spot on your ship at the highest, most central point and be prepared for a real thrill - you'll see :) You will cross under the bridge approx. 30 minutes after setting sail. At least, we did when we sailed on the Crown Princess.
We had no problem getting to the terminal from our hotel - $15.00 taxi drive from the Holiday Inn Express in Brooklyn.
We got screwed when we returned back after our cruise and had to get to the airport. We were directed to the next taxi in line and spent $58.00 to get to the airport. Found out later that we should have walked past the line of taxis closest to the sidewalk to those on the farthest lane away from the sidewalk and they would have been less than half of what we paid. Beware of that!
Embarkation is an absolute breeze!

calita July 2nd, 2008 11:25 AM

We sailed into the Brooklyn Terminal several years ago. We got up early to see the Statue of Liberty. It almost brought tears to my eyes. Getting a taxi to Manhattan was super easy. There was a line up of them. We took our luggage and left the ship early. It was under $50.00.
We spent several days in Manhattan before heading home. Enjoy!