CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   New England / Canada (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/new-england-canada/)
-   -   Wife Wants To Head North (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/new-england-canada/370179-wife-wants-head-north.html)

nctraveler54 December 20th, 2009 10:14 PM

Wife Wants To Head North

Wife is retiring in July and wants to go on a New England / Canada cruise. Looking around, I see there is a wide range in ports and pricing; anybody have any suggestions? She first wanted to head back to Alaska, we did a cruise back in 2003 but now wants to see the fall colors. Have only cruised with Princess and Carnival, both were great trips. I have traveled to a number of places (by plane and car) in Canada but she has never crossed the border. Thanks in advance for any help.

Snoozeman December 21st, 2009 12:29 AM

I've never done a cruise 'up north' either. I love Nova Scotia though so I'd consider any cruise there. Halifax is fantastic. Good luck & let us know if you find a good one.

lulu48 December 21st, 2009 12:22 PM

If you are flying in or out of Canada you need to get passports

Any cruise line that goes is probably fine just a personal choice ..fall colours are usually late September but so are the after effects of Tropical storms, hurricanes
If they go to Quebec City or Montreal those are good stops

Enjoy

nctraveler54 December 21st, 2009 07:56 PM

Thanks for the info, still looking at options. The 14 day NCL is the one I like, hits all the ports north of the border; not sure I can take that much time off. We have ask a few friends if they would like to go, that also could change the way we look at it. Thanks for the help, please keep it coming.

Trip January 4th, 2010 08:41 PM

Try and book when you can see the peak colors in your fave ports...I'm in Boston and our foliage peaks in mid October,so as you would cruise north, the colors would be less and less. Just something to think about:)

Parrot Mom January 6th, 2010 01:06 AM

Fall Cuise

Personally I think this cruise north is highly underrated.Fall colors depend on the sprng and summer rain, etc. etc. and the whims of Mother Nature. You can not tell of the excitement of finding the color city of Halifax, laid back St. John, bustling Portland, historical Boston, quaint bar Harbor, Montreal and Quebec. We've done this cruise twice.. once when Bermuda had a storm and we were directed to Bermuda North. BTW NCL does have first dibs on berths as a regular cruise line using these ports. Leaving from NYC you may stop in Newport, R.I. and/or Martha' Vineyard or Nantucket.. The further north you go i.e. Quebec or Montreal the color will be there first..but weather wise I think I'd choose the end of September or first week in October..you will love the great seafood and lobsters hacks, the friendliness of people and uncrowded ports.

nctraveler54 March 28th, 2010 10:19 PM

The wife has booked our trip with Princess for 09/17-09/27. If anyone has any advice, please pass it along. We are starting in New York and ending up in Quebec City. Have to start booking plane tickets now and planning shore excursions/trips.