CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   New England / Canada (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/new-england-canada/)
-   -   Calgary ,Canada (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/new-england-canada/388658-calgary-canada.html)

Lakers Fan April 5th, 2012 11:05 AM

Calgary ,Canada

Calgary is the only major city in Alberta that we've never been to .

What are the must things to do for people who will only be there approximately 8 hours ?

Lakers Fan May 28th, 2012 09:27 PM

WOW ,121 views and no replies .Not even the person who resides in Calgary has responded .

Trackypup May 28th, 2012 09:51 PM

I could have sworn I responded to this. Did you post it somewhere else? What kinds of things are you interested in? I'm not a fan of Calgary, but I'll look into some options

Lakers Fan May 28th, 2012 10:06 PM

We are interested in historical sites ,museums ,etc .

Trackypup May 28th, 2012 10:16 PM

Ok, let me do some digging. They do have a museum

Lakers Fan May 28th, 2012 10:39 PM

Thanks ,I sincerely appreciate this .

Kuki May 28th, 2012 11:20 PM

Calgary is city of over 1 million people, and traffic is awful. The airport is in the extreme north east part of the city.

In 8 hrs. you might be able to get downtown, have lunch, and then get back to the airport.

The musuem is quite small, and depending on what exhibit is running, not all that great.

There is a war museum. There's a wondeful planetrium/science center. But honestly those show you nothing of the city itself. They could be any city.

There's a spot called Heritage Park, that's built as an old town, but the city itself has grown drastically in the past several decades, and there are very few historical buildings that were retained. The philosophy was rip it down and build. It is dominated by oil company head offices.

The food scene has blossomed in recent history, and so there are numerous outstanding restaurants.

It's a nice city, but the nicest things about it is the areas nearby, outside of the city.

Trackypup May 28th, 2012 11:30 PM

I should have clarified what Kuki alluded to, are you coming in and out of the airport and have 8 hours to spend?

Lakers Fan May 29th, 2012 11:42 AM

I'm not sure yet . We've been to several cities in Alberta but not Calgary . We met a couple on our last cruise who live in Calgary and they invited us to visit them .Presumably not Kuki's neighbors because they were not familiar with him .

Trackypup May 29th, 2012 12:54 PM

This is from my Co-Worker in Calgary:

The Glenbow Museum. Located downtown, and starting this week-end is a western art exhibit with the celebration of the 100 anniversary of the Stampede. There is Heritage Park, for a physical view of the development of Calgary, not far from downtown. The new Science Centre, easy location by taking the LTR, is great for kids; and a variety. The penguins are at the Zoo this year, again easy with LTR. History week around the city is the last week in July.
http://www.chinookcountry.org/

And Calgary was designated cultural city for this year:
http://www.calgary2012.com/

But walking along the Bow River, from Prince’s Island downtown, through Chinatown, past Fort Calgary, and then into Inglewood, an early neighbourhood, is great. There are two very nice restaurants in historic buildings in the later area – Rouge and Deane House.

Ontario June 4th, 2012 10:11 PM

Calgary

Hi my parents live in Calgary so I usually head there at least once a year. The airport is actually in the northwest quarter, same area as my folks. Calgary is geographically a very large city and can take awhile to get around. The Bow river walk is a good idea. The Eau Claire district is also nice. Lots of good shopping. I am partial to art galleries and always go to Websters Gallery. The Calgary Tower gives a great view of the city and beyond. Devonian Gardens is great too but currently closed for renovation, should be open this summer. What time of year will you be there? Of course there is the Stampede in July. If you like unique amber jewellery and other pieces go to the fantastic shop 'Amber Connection'.

Lakers Fan June 4th, 2012 10:33 PM

Thanks Tracky and Ontario .We are thinking of going to Calgary in the summer of 2013 .

Ontario June 21st, 2012 02:28 PM

Okay, so if you are there in early July you could attend some of the Stampede events. They have agreat parade to start it off, and then various rodeo events. Also fair booths and displays. Even if you don't attend any of those things, there is a general stampede fever in the city, with many people wearing cowboy/girl hats, boots, etc. If you ever wanted to buy western clothing, you will find it in Calgary! There is also a huge variety of cosmopolitan activities. The oil and mineral industry is huge and there is no shortage of wealthy homes cars etc. Lots of malls, boutiques and specialty stores. It's like Dallas on steroids! But with mountains on the horizon.
For day trips from Calgary, I like to go to Canmore. The drive toward the Rockies is always spectacular and Canmore is a beautiful mountain town, small, but with just enough shops and galleries for a nice day!

Lakers Fan June 21st, 2012 08:50 PM

Thanks ,I am writing all of this down .