Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2001, 08:52 AM
Max

Default St. Petersburg Tours

Are there any tour companies on the piers at St. Petersburg that beat the prices offered by the cruise ships? And that don't rquire special visas?
Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2001, 12:45 AM
max early

Default Re: St. Petersburg Tours

I saw your name and couldn't figure out when I wrote this email and then I realized it probably was another Max...anyway, we just got back sailing the Baltic on the Amsterdam...a wonderful trip...I think that ANYONE leaving the ship outside of a ship's tour requires a visa..and on our pier in St. Petersburg, there were NO tour operators...in fact, it was a guarded pier and people had to have special permission to even enter the pier...we had to have passport check leaving and entering the ship....I really don't think you'd want to be on your own in this port...the people, culturally, are not very friendly nor helpful and most speak no English.

We had the very best ...we were tied in with a group from Portland, Oregon and THEY had their own organized tours with visa covering...we saw many sights that HAL just hopes to include...we usually got places BEFORE the fleet of buses from the ships arrived...the summer palaces about 20 miles out are superb...as is the Hermitage, the former winter palace...they have 25 yes 25 Rembrandts alone in the Hermitage..much better taken care of than our former trip 12 years ago...

One ship excursion I would NOT miss is the chance to attend the FOLKLORIC show at a theatre downtown...it is fantastic but then we are music, dance fans...it is strenuous to include this..we came off of a full day excursion, the show which lasted until 11 pm, up for a full day excursion the next day...and we are approaching 80, so it took some effort, but well worth it...

Any other questions, would be happy to answer..just email me...Max
Old July 23rd, 2001, 08:33 AM
Steve Zimmerman

Default Re: St. Petersburg Tours

When are you going on your cruise? I am on the NCL Dream on Aug. 4th and I don't think you can book from the pier. You must at least have a visa before you go (about $100 per person for the 2 days).
Perhaps you can share a private tour with other couples on your ship. There are several tour companies you can pre-book before the cruise.

Steve