Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 17th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Debbie & Debbie

Default Sky cruise 3/23

We are a little nervous sailing on NCL Sky. We are huge Royal Caribbean Cruise fans. Tried Princess and disn't like it. We took NCL because we got a great price with a balcony. We never even had a porthole before! (We are very economical). This will be our 5th cruise and we are ages 51 & 52. Jim is a high school teacher counting down to retirement from the Chicago area. Looking forward to hearing either from someone on same cruise or someone who can hopefully give us a review please write back.
Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2002, 08:09 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Sky cruise 3/23

My husband and I just returned Feb. 9th from a cruise on the NCL Sky. We loved it! It was our first time on a cruise so we don't have anything to compare it to except for what our parents have told us about their cruises. They liked the idea of the freestyle cruising after we told them about it. We thought it was great. We could eat when we wanted, where we wanted, and choose to be alone or with others.

Out of our group of 16 people that went on the cruise, several had sailed before and they all seemed very happy with freestyle cruising and the Sky.

The ship was absolutely spotless and the service was excellent. We had a stateroom with a porthole. The stateroom was rather small but we weren't in it that much anyway. Our steward Steven Francis took great care of us and was always smiling. The food was great as was the entertainment. We can't wait to go again!! I hope this helps.
Old February 18th, 2002, 09:09 PM
Aaron

We were on the Sky the 1st week of Feb. And it was great! We loved the Freestyle concept, service and food were good, entertainment was a little weak for our tastes, but,that is our opinion. We had a great experience with Freestyle, and will travel again with NCL.
Old February 23rd, 2002, 07:55 PM
Passenger

Hi, My husband and myself will be on the Sky on 3/23/02. This will be our 11th cruise and we love Norwegian. Hope to meet you. You all will have a wonderful time. We are from Nashville and just can't wait to fly on down to Miami.
Old March 6th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Sky Jan. 26th and loved it. We also love Royal Caribbean and we were on Celebrity last year and loved it too. We're pretty easy to please for the most part, so as long as people are cooking for us and cleaning our rooms, we're pretty much happy. In all honesty, I've been on 6 cruises before this one, and I was worried how I'd like Freestyle Crusing, and I have to admit, it was great. The buffets were tasty and there was quite a variety on them, the dining rooms were excellent and we liked the choice of not having to rush to dinner, or dressing up if we didn't feel like it. The only minus is that you don't get the relationship with your waiter, but we found all of the service staff to be friendly and efficient. We didn't try the premium restaurants on board because we are also economical, and we found the food at the regular dining room and the buffet to be great. We also had lobster tail on the 2nd formal evening, so they didn't spare any expense. As a matter of fact, I think this was the most food that I've ever seen on a ship! It seemed like the buffet was open all the time (not great for the waistline!!).

Our only complaint was the size of the cabin. We too got a great deal on a balcony, which was great by the way, but we found that the storage space was limited inside. Royal Caribbean doesn't have the largest cabins also, however they seem to be better laid out. We did enjoy the balcony option and I loved sitting out there early in the morning while my husband slept a little longer (I always seem to sleep great on cruises and get up early). Perhaps room service breakfast? They also supply robes for you to use, and we got a bottle of champaigne (not very good but a nice touch) and fresh fruit in our room. They also have shampoo, lotions, etc. in the bathroom. The ship itself is beautiful and clean.

My advice would be to keep an open mind and go with the flow. You might want to go to dinner before 6:30 or after 8:00 since these seemed to be the busiest times in the dining room. I must admit that it was a little strange to wear shorts to dinner on a couple of occasions, but it was relaxed. It was sort of like being on a resort.

Enjoy your cruise.
Old March 11th, 2002, 10:59 PM
Teresa Carpenter

We will be sailing March 23rd with our 18yr old daugther, her two girl friends, and our 6 year old son. We are looking forward to it. It is in celebration of the girls' graduation and my daughter's 18th birthday.

Hope I don't get seasick!

See you there!

Terri
Old March 12th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Debbie R.

This is our 5th cruise. We took our 16 yr. old son on the last 3, but am leaving him home with his older brothers due to tennis team committments. He really enjoys cruising and we enjoyed having him with us. He always stayed with us and didn't want to do the group things with the other teens. The girls should have fun since its spring break and plenty of other kids their age. I've never had a problem with seasickness. Its like being rocked in a cradle at night. Can't wait. Vacation will come none too soon!