Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Default Anne Campbell on Pride of Aloha

This is from Anne Campbell currently onboard the Pride of Aloha.

Hi Gang.....

I'm presently aboard Pride of Aloha, the third day of the voyage. Yes, there are plenty of start-up glitches but I'm having a fantastic time anyway. I think Hawaii is the most beautiful place I've ever seen and NCL delivers it in spades.

First the physical ship: NCL completely refurbished the ship and she is indeed lovely. Panels of Hawaiian art adorn walls and the brilliant colors of flowers -- pink, yellow, purple, red -- adorned fabrics. It's tastefully Hawaiian but not over the top. I love the ten restaurants and large number of lounges and bars throughout the ship.

The food has been much better than the cuisine I found on Norwegian Dawn which was overcooked and underseasoned. Frankly I'm a bit surprised that some of it is quite tasty. Last evening I dined at Le Bistro which is a stunning and romantic restaurant, where the food was sublime ($15 surcharge). I've dined twice in the main restaurant where the food was better than expected.

Built in 1998, this is a modern ship with all the amenities and services you'll find aboard any of the newer vesssels. Her weakness is cabins smaller than the industry norm.

Yes, there are service problems, which always happens during the first few months of a new ship's life. Some people discover that working aboard a ship isn't for them and they leave. While they've all been aboard Pride of Aloha for a month, there is a long learning curve with a crew of 850, new to each other and new to the ship.

The biggest problem is the Lido restaurant, where one must wait in enormous lines for breakfast and lunch. I have the feeling there is poor supervision here and believe it will be corrected. After all, this is still a young ship. A potentially bigger problem may be inadequate seating for passengers during days at sea. I spent 25 minutes searching for an empty chair and ended up standing at a bar to eat.

Some of the American crew are very good, some need a lot of work. It's a process of weeding out.

NCL's excursions are awesome. In Kauai I took a six hour tour to the Northeast coast in a huge zodiac with big engines (45 mph across the water). Here are enormous mountains reaching 4,000 feet above the ocean. Gigantic turtles and a pod of 300 dolphins performed acrobatics all around our little boat. After a wonderful lunch on a deserted beach, we had incredible snorkeling. NCL charges $175 for this tour, but you can buy it directly from the operator (www.captainzodiac.com) for $50 less. I don't think there are tours under $100 but they are certainly worth the money. In Kauai, an overnight stop, there were free shuttle buses to local malls and even the local K-Mart!!!
You can always rent a car (Budget is everywhere here) or head for the beach on days you don't take a tour.

The people of Hawaii are the warmest and happiest I have encountered anywhere. These islands are lush and the last unspoiled place on earth.

Remember, NCL has the ONLY ship making seven-day Hawaii voyages and the itinerary allows a large amount of time in port.

Given the problems, would I take this cruise again? Absolutely, in a nanosecond. I'm having more fun than I've had on any cruise in a long time.

Anne Campbell
Editor
CruiseMates

www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2004, 12:00 PM
margu1241

Default Re: Anne Campbell on Pride of Aloha

Are there really ten restaurants on board? I am only counting six (palace, crossings, le bistro, kahili, pan pacific and hukilau). Please advise, as I would hate to miss out on the other four when I sail.
Thanks,
Patty
Old July 8th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Familiar Face

Anne, thank you so much for the positive review. We are sailing Nov. 7th and I must say were getting nervous after all the things I have read about NCL and this particular ship transition. It is good to know that things are maybe getting worked out. Besides, how could you possibly not have a good time when you are in Hawaii!! I look forward to more updates from you. SueZ
Old July 8th, 2004, 01:40 PM
First Mate

There are definitely NOT 10 restaurants on Pride of Aloha.
Old July 8th, 2004, 04:12 PM
First Mate

Thanks Anne, keep us updated. NMNIta
Old July 9th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Anne Campbell on Pride of Aloha

There are six restaurants.

Anne meant to say the 10 restaurants and lounges...

www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old July 9th, 2004, 07:19 PM
margu1241

Default Re: Re: Re: Anne Campbell on Pride of Aloha

Thanks for claryifying Anne. One of my biggest dissapointments when switched over to the Pride of Aloha was the smaller number of restaurants. What has your experience been when making reservations at the speciality restaurants? I am guessing from your review that making them for the night of the Mexican buffet/free Margarita night might be a good idea.
Patty
Old July 10th, 2004, 08:19 PM
john livingston

Anne Campbell's comments are industry p.r. She should know the number of restaurants aboard and should accurately report hte food problems which make this ship unacceptable.
Old July 11th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Family cruiser... I have to agree with you!! Anne was reporting her initial impressions (after a couple of days), she did say lot of glitches, and lots of service issues.
People need to reread what she actually said, instead of trying to read between the lines.

I went on one ship, on another line quite some years ago, for its second sailing, and "the glitches" were everywhere. At the time I thought I'd never sail with that line again. It's now one of my favorites. I also learned to avoid new ships entirely for at least several months after their inaugurals.

With the Pride of Aloha NCL has an even larger problem to deal with.... having to staff her entirely with US citizens.

Not sure if they'll be able to get it together, or not, but it's certainly WAY too early to judge yet.

Anne's excitement over the Hawaiian islands is certainly understandable... and would do alot to dim the problems she may be encountering onboard.

Once she has experienced the entire cruise, I'm sure she'll have alot more to say on the matter.

Old July 12th, 2004, 12:51 PM
margu1241

I have enjoyed reading this review so far, but am wondering when we can expect to see the rest of the review. Will it be on this thread, or should I be checking the review section? I will be leaving for Hawaii on Friday morning, and would really like to see it before I leave.
Patty
Old July 12th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Beginner

Here is OUR review of POA

I must say...MANY people were very upset about this cruise...just wait...you will see

I just got off the July 4th sailing of the NCL Pride Of Aloha.

WORST CRUISING EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE...
I have sailed many others and this was an AWFUL experience.

Here it goes...

SERVICE

-Poor service!!!
-Felt like we were in the crews way.
-found 1 friendly person - a bartender in Capt. Crooks Lounge.
-cruise director - Patti. she was terrible and never there for you.
-Food service was slow
-had to stand in line for 45 minutes to TRY to talk to a representative
-If you called them they would NOT answer the phone, they would pick up and put it on hold WITHOUT saying anything.
-Several times the just hung up!!
-When you DID get someone, they always said “you have to talk to this other person” Which they would NEVER call you back.
-LINES, LINES, LINES…that is all we did was stand in lines!!!

DRINKS

-Constantly out of domestic beer
-Forced to buy the more expensive imports.
-$8.00 Liquor drinks…5oz. cups…WHAT A JOKE!!!
-Bar at the pool shut down toooo early
-took FOREVER to get a drink
-LINES, LINES, LINES…that is all we did was stand in lines!!!

FOOD

-food was "terrible", yes "worse than terrible"
-NO variety in food
-Breakfast buffet. 2.99 Dennys grand slam is better than this.
-sit down breakfast in crossings and pallace...same as buffet, you just had to wait longer.
-Crossings and Pallace restaraunts you had to wait 45 minutes to get table for dinner. while you stood and looked at more than 25 tables that were empty.
-Once you got in you were there for 2-3 hours for LACK LUSTER FOOD!
-over cooked lobster, tough steaks, dry chicken, wilted lettuce,
-one night the crew dropped 5 trays full of dishes.
-You would have thought we were in a hurricane...We were NOT!!
-Inexperienced wait staff.
-Constantly out of Coffee, tea and Ice.
-when they did have ice...NO CUPS.
-when they made coffee...NO CUPS.
-when they had coffee and cups...NO CREAM
-the buffets were a disaster.
-greasy spoon food.
-on mexican night...of course they ran out so they put out old steaks and burgers from lunch.
-one morning...NO orange juice...they said "It's Frozen"...Nice planning NCL
-If you did not want to pay the $15.00 per percon surcharge for the other restaraunts, you had ONLY 2 choices, Crossings or Pallace.
-GET this...it was the SAME menu...EVERY NIGHT!!!
-Coffee bar...was NEVER open
-LINES, LINES, LINES…that is all we did was stand in lines for sub par food!!!
-Most people go on cruises for the FOOD, PRESENTATION and the Wonderful buffets. NO MIDNIGHT BUFFET!! POOR PRESENTATION!!! BAD FOOD!!!

ENTERTAINMENT

-Very rarely had a chance to get to a show after a 3-4 hour meal.
-The ones we went to…”6th grade play”…need I say more!!!

KIDS CORNER

-Very little activites.
-They had the WRONG people working with these kids.
-at least they could have put employees that actually liked kids with them.

CLEANLINESS OF THE SHIP

-day 1 first trip to room…bathroom had pubic hair in the shower.
-could not find stateroom attendant to get it cleaned.
-could not get in touch with the concierge
-day 2 breakfast on the 11th floor buffet…there was hamburgers, hotdogs (half eaten) old drinks and garbage all over the pool deck
-NO one even attempted to clean the deck.
-day 2 stateroom attendant did not clean the room.
-everyday…had to sift through plates in buffets to find a clean plate
-The boat in general was dirty, with no employee picking up after any of the passengers.
-tables would sit for hours with dirty dishes on them while others searched for a clean table
-guests started moving dirty dishes off tables to the floors just so they could eat.

EXCURSIONS

-OVERPRICED
-the excursions were less than ˝ the price off of the boat.
-they switched one of our excursions to a lesser valued excursion and did not inform us.
-they tried to charge us the higher price.
-took a day and a half to get the right person to fix the problem
-took getting REALLY pissed at them to even try to fix it.

RECAP:

The most fun we had on our Hawaii Vacation…WHEN WE GOT OFF THE BOAT AT EACH ISLAND

One of NCL’s biggest problems facing them…SEAFARERS UNION!!! The quality of peoples is already bad, now they have the Seafarers International Union working. http://www.seafarers.org/log/2004/072004/poa.xml

I would NOT recommend this cruise line to anyone.

Have had GREAT vacations with…

Royal Caribbean (first class operation)
Carnival (believe it or not they really do a great job, good food and a lot of fun)
Old July 12th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Passenger

Oh my... the first review I've seen of the July 4 inaugural. I must admit these posts are getting funny now =) I have never read so many terrible reviews in my life. I'm a trooper, I'm not going to cancel my cruise though my husband told me today "BUY TRIP INSURANCE!" lol

I am looking forward to the Hawaii part, definitely!
Old July 12th, 2004, 07:41 PM
First Mate

However it goes It probably won't be dull.
Old July 12th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Passenger

Yes, a "hell trip" won't be that bad for us because we live on the west coast, traveling there is easy, and my husband's best friend lives in Hawaii so we try to visit. But I'm sure it is not nearly as entertaining for someone that has to fly 13 hours to get there, save for a very long time, and this is their "one shot" for Hawaii. I just wonder if NCL is having financial problems because they are paying their staff so abominabaly? If anyone knows?
Old July 12th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Beginner

I have to admit, the islands were wonderful. They were everything we expected and MORE. If we go back. we will fly to Maui or Kauai and stay at a resort. No more cruising for a while for us.
Old July 12th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Whiteknight

I must say that review is pretty harsh. It was like reading about a stay at the infamous prison of Devils Island at French Guiana. If I don't hear about a hell of a lot of improvements by 2005, I shall have to rethink my potential plans for a 7 day cruise in Hawaii next year. Of course, there are always the other cruiselines that go there from Mexico and Vancouver, but they're longer cruises and are at sea for several days. But I may not have a choice if I want to cruise the islands and not chance Norwegian. For now, I'll just wait and see what's in the next chapter of this horror story.
Old July 12th, 2004, 10:26 PM
First Mate

NCL has lots to offer even though they do have some problems I assume with POA; anyone who is lame enough to judge an entire line by one experience is very niave regardless of what they would like us to think;. Natalie, I am not an expert on who is having financual problems, but the only ship in the fleet that is stuck with these prices is the POA. All the rest on NCLs ships have crews from other than the USA. For those who are booked, just go and enjoy; for those who have not yet booked POA decide for yourselves.

NMNita
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:44 AM
Passenger

Hi Nita, thanks for responding. Yes, they have definitely cornered the market in Hawaii. But I've read elsewhere that employees are only getting paid $6/hr and NCL has limited their vacation pay. And the comments about running out of food on the cruises....it makes me wonder of they are having finantial difficulty. I tried to look up their stock but couldn't find the ticker.

I have no doubt we'll have a great time in Hawaii and pray things get better soon.
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:45 AM
Passenger

sorry for typos
Old July 13th, 2004, 02:04 AM
margu1241

I suspect that food might be the corner that gets cut, especially for the first months as they have moved people from the America at lower rates than they are charging for new bookings. If they have the ship mostly full of people like me, who were guaranteed rebooking at America rates, then they will need to cut back somewhere, as they most likely will not be taking in the revenue they need to make the cruise profitable.
Patty
Old July 13th, 2004, 02:16 AM
Passenger

I booked our cruise this winter at a very high rate. I missed all the news about the America and what happened to it's passengers., have been trying to catch up on what's going on. I know it's pointless to worry about it now, as there are still 3 1/2 months till we cruise, but I can't help but wonder.

We already have a backup plan to eat on ground but I hope it doesn't come to that.
Old July 13th, 2004, 11:30 AM
First Mate

I think food has been cut already on many lines as it just isn't what it was 10 or 15 years ago. I still eat my share and am happy for the service plus I don't have to fix it, do dishes or wait on anyone for 1 week. Vacations are great. Natalie, you will have a good time just seeing the islands if nothing else and how bad can the food really be? Of course it won't be 5 star, but what the heck. As for the $6.00 an hour, I haven't seen this posted, but probably is right. We have to remember they get room and board as well plus the glamour of cruise life. I was going to look them up on the exchange as well, but I may be wrong, I don't think they are public. If so, did you look under Star cruiseline? Albuquerque is not a major metro area and our paper isn't the Wall Street Journel; may not even have it. As for being in trouble my understanding is all cruise lines are struggling a bit right now. Too many new ships, too much competition; it's almost a price war in some situations. NMNita
Old July 13th, 2004, 01:16 PM
abbyra

Hummmmm....Guess I was on a different cruise. I was too busy watching fabulous sunsets on the deck or the Napali Coast of Kauai from our balcony or lava flowing from a volcano viewed from the bow of the ship at night to take time to complain about the food and service. Of course there were problems, many of them. However it was obvious that these problems resulted from inexperienced staff. I for one, was willing to forgive this in order to not spend 3 days of the cruise waisting time going back and forth to the Fanning islands. Hawaii is beautiful. If you want to cruise the Hawaiian Islands, this is the itinerary you should choose. If you want great service, stay at one of the many resorts on shore instead. My husband and I could not believe how few people were on deck during the sunsets....which were unbelievable. I guess we were on the ship for different reasons than the others.

Though we did have to wait far too long for service in the restaurants, we found the buffet lines acceptable along with the food. I thought the staff was doing a good job clearing the tables too. The breakfast options were many, so I don't understand the comlaints there. Our cabin was always clean, and our attendent 'Jacki' remembered me by name. Our favorite waiter was 'Oz' in the outrigger lounge. I suggest you look him up. The lounge is beautiful and Oz will help you out with any questions you may have about the islands. All in all, I think with time and experience, the problems will be corrected. If you relax and go with the flow, you will enjoy your trip. However, if you go looking for problems, you will certainly find them. Aloha!
Old July 13th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Whiteknight

Wow, this is really getting confusing now. Reading some of these comments makes you wonder if all these people were on the same ship. I may just have to roll the dice to decide my course of action. I will make a comment on the financial health of the conventional cruiselines. They're doing okay and making a satisfactory profit. While it's true they're not cleaning up like they were a few years ago, they are profitable enterprises. All those new ships are due to their success and the outlook is for the cruise industry to keep growing by leaps and bounds.
Old July 13th, 2004, 09:16 PM
BooandBee

Thanks abbyra for your positive input concerning POA. This cruise will be to celebrate our 25th anniversary in Sept and probably our only time to visit Hawaii, so we have been very excited but reading some of these posts have made us a little nervous. We always try to make the best of things and enjoy our time so I am sure we will be fine. This is also our first cruise so we really don't have anything to compare to, so that might help. Anyway I just wanted to say thanks for relieving our minds a bit.

Lisa and Gary
Old July 13th, 2004, 09:41 PM
First Mate

Lisa and Gary, barring absolutely hurrendous problems the first cruise is like the first anything; it is the best in the world and never will anything compare. I am sure by Sept the glitches will be ironed out for the most part. There may always be some problems with this ship, but go with your eyes open; a smile on your face and a possitive attitude. You will have a great anniversary to remember. Our 25th was our first trip to Spain. We loved it. Our hotel, part of a package was not the Ritz Carlton, the food was included and I could have done as well at our near by steak house (the food away from the hotel was outstanding) The location wasn't idea, but all in all it was a trip of a lifetime. Partly cause it was our first trip abroad (many since) and partly because it was our 25th. Now we aren't far for doubling that. Happy anniversary!

NMNita
Old July 14th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Whiteknight

You know, it's just my opinion, but I feel compelled to throw my two cents out here. If this is your very first cruise and a special occasion on top of that, I think I would read the reviews from the cruise industry experts very carefully and make a decision based on those reviews. It would be tragic for your first cruise to be a major disappointment and possibly turn you off to cruising before experiencing the real joy of it. I'm not saying your choice is bad, by any means. I'm just saying it makes sense to give yourself the best possible shot at a great cruise. Just my opinion.
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Excellent advice WhiteKnight. For a first-time cruiser picking a line or ship to cruise on you are very wise to check out 'professional' reviews such as the kind that Anne posts on this website. They are 'generalized' and speak well about what the overall experiance usually is and what is to be expected while on this ship and who it is designed to please. After doing that then it is great to look at the reviews posted, again on this website, from your average cruiser who will tell you what they experianced and thought. It works out great that way and gives one great insight into the cruise. From there you go to the message boards to discover tips and interesting things to do, see, etc. Knowledge is a great tool and one that helps you get the most out of your cruise.
Jim

Old July 14th, 2004, 01:40 PM
BooandBee

Thanks for the advice and the encourgement from all. Unfortunetly we already have the plane trip scheduled, (first class w/sky miles) and time off of work so we can't change anything now but in the future I am sure I will be doing lots of checking around and reading posts from lots of places. With this being our first real big vacation we were kind of new to all this so we just went along with the travel agents advice and really didn't do any checking, I never really heard of problems on cruises before so I really never thought about checking around. I will know better next time. We will be taking Nitas advice and I am sure we will have a wonderful time, after all we are in Hawaii, away from any stress and worries for 14 days!!!!! Its funny when the POAmerica sank, I said to my husband "I sure hope this isn't an omen!" , but again we will make the best of things no matter what happens.

Lisa and Gary
Old July 14th, 2004, 03:15 PM
First Mate

And even if the cruise part of the trip turns out to be not the best please don't give up on cruising entirely because of one experience.
I don't think the destination will disappoint you!