Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2004, 02:21 PM
NATALIEATSEA

Default SS NORWAY

I DON'T KNOW THE STORY, CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT HAPPEND TO THE SS NORWAY? WHAT A BEAUTIFUL SHIP!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2004, 03:00 PM
Uncmarts

Default Re: SS NORWAY

The "Norway" had an onboard explosion in one of the boilers last year while docked in Miami.... There are many postings on what took place. The ship was towed to Germany and is currently tied up at a ship yard. Supposedly it is awaiting a new boiler to be custom built and scheduled to re enter service sometime this spring....

There are many rumors that the ship man not ever be placed back in service.. It is a "Wait See" situation.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 03:40 PM
NATALIEATSEA

THANKS FOR THE INFO. WAS ANYONE ON BOARD? DID ANYWONE GET HURT?
WHAT A SHAME!!!!
Old January 23rd, 2004, 10:06 PM
Yeoman

I think the final count was 7 staff were killed if I'm not mistaken. A lot of staff were hurt but no passengers. They did the emergency evacutation I believe. We were on the Norway cruising a week before it happened. We got back May 18th and it happened early in the morning of May 25th while docked in Miami. It was a great ship and a wonderful cruise and if she ever comes back to service, I'm sure we would sail her again.

Luanne

Old January 24th, 2004, 06:26 AM
Patrickatsea

Default Re: Re: SS NORWAY

LUANNE,
THANKS FOR THE INFO, I DIDN'T REALIZE PEOPLE GOT HURT, LET ALONE DIED!!
THAT SHIP IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!! THAT'S AMAZING YOU WERE JUST ON IT!! SOMEONE WAS WATCHING OVER YOU GUYS!!! THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO!!!
Old February 4th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Beginner

In the end, there were eight crewman who died and several others who were seriously injured, mostly with burns. One crewman was a steward from Jamaica and all the others were Filipinos, mostly enginemen. The explosion happened at 6:34 AM just after we arrived back in Miami. The staff did an excellent job during the emergency drill so there was no panic among the passengers, even as we watched them take the injured off to the waiting ambulances and medavacs. It might have been a lot worse if we had not been at the dock. They evacuated all the passengers after they had taken care of the injured and extinguished the fire, about 9 AM. Such incidents occur or you can stay home and drive in the traffic. We are still sad when we think about the loss of life but have been on four cruises since then and have four more booked.

The Rolling Stones