Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Shine

Default Dawn 3/7/04 w/2kids need advice please!

Hi Cruisers,
Can anyone give me advice on the cruise out of NYC in March? Is it freezing until you get to FLA? We have 2 girls 6 & 10. Is there enough time to do Disney. What are the best attractions. Can we bring alcohol on board ship? Any great discoveries on any of the other stops we should check out? This is all new to us. Any advice would be great.
Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to disneylynn
Default Re: Dawn 3/7/04 w/2kids need advice please!

HI Shine,
We were on the dawn in november, My kids were 8,11,15
We went to epcot and yes we had enough time.
My tip is to try and get your park tickets before you go so you dont waste time on lines.
We shopped in miami at bayside.,we walked there and took a taxi cab back for $6.00
Old January 24th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to disneylynn
Default Re: Re: Dawn 3/7/04 w/2kids need advice please!

Shine,
It was starting to warm up by the time we woke up the next morning.
NCL does not want you to take alcohol on board but that is up to you.
you can put some in a water bottle or something.
In the bahamas we did the dolphin encounter . My family loved it .
If you think that is somthing your family would like booked it now
it sells out fast . If you never been to disney you should read one of the many books
on the park so you have a plan.
You will have a great time
Lynn
Old January 25th, 2004, 01:09 PM
valtandc

we're taking two kids and are planning on doing disney. just run full speed any you'll see alot and be exhausted that night.

why bring booze when you can buy cheap on the boat and pay an extra $10 or so to drink it in your room. just bring plenty of bottle water.
Old January 26th, 2004, 02:25 AM
ANONYMOUS

hello there,
i just finished my contract on the dawn as a youth counselor. Yes, in march, it will still be quite cold leaving NYC on sunday..and it is still chilly on the monday, but tuesday it will be warm and sunny in time for Port Canaveral. Alot of the parents i talked to, said there was enough time, but it was rushed- (disney). perhaps just pick one great park- like..the magic kingdom- you haven't been to disney, unless you've been there. Check out Alien Encounter- the scariest thing ever- maybe too scary for the kids actually, but quite amusing. Obviously head ot the Haunted Mansion, take a boat ride on its a small world, do the peter pan ride if its still there, and space mountain is a must- but beware of a height restriction- there might be one. take the kids up to the T Rex Centre, Deck 13 at the VERY BACK of the ship. The day you arrive, there will be an early registration (no charge for the kids program, unless babysitting is needed) usually around.. 330 or so... it could change, as i left the ship during the first week of january. register the kids, get the program for the week, and show up for the orientation that night around 7pm- dont' be late, or else you'll miss out on the introduction of the program/counselors, etc. LOTs to do for the 6 year olds, usually in the age group of 6-9. the 10 yr old will go with the 10-12 year old groups. You will find out all about the programs, and the activities. They really are a lot of fun, as long as you give them a chance. The first day of program (the monday)- if the ship is full to capacity, in march, it should be- the kids room is going to seem ridiculously chaotic..and itS CRAZY in there. Do not be discouraged, it will settle down soon enough. The 10 year olds are in the Teen disco- a very cool environment, its a lot of fun. Program is every night, 7-10, and runs all day on sea days- check the schedules. DO NOT BUY the SODA CUP for the kids offered when you step onto the ship. They can get a wrist band, or a soda cup for 14.95 or 16.95- prices may have changed, i'm not sure.. OTherwise, you'll be paying 50 some odd dollars for the adult soda cup. You can get this during the orientation on Sunday night for the kids.
The whole youth staff is very energetic, well trained, fun, wacky yet completely responsible at the same time. And- the kids get to meet other kids, making their vacation that much better having met new people.

Oh, and when in miami- take a spin down to South beach. You can take a city bus there for 1.25 , its the C bus i do believe. Or take the ship bus, for i think its 20$ for a return ticket. SOuth beach is the place to be, where there is obviously the great huge awesome beach strip. Or not into the beach scene, i suggest eating at news cafe on ocean drive, take a table out on the sidewalk, its a great place to people watch and has some awesome food.

Great Stirrup cay- private island- get off the ship early. The island fills up pretty quickly, and you may not get an unbrella or beach chair. It gets crowded. I hear the snorkelling is good. i never went, because i can't stand salt water for that long.

Nassau- definitely go for the dolphins. Its the best experience you'll ever have, and you'll never forget it either. its totally worth every pennY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or.. go to Paradise island- a nice strip of beach, and the ocean swimming is wonerful. bring a snack, as there isn't really any food vendors along the beach.
OR go to Atlantis, and check out the huge aquarium. i believe there is also a beach there and a good place to eat.
OR.. just cruise around in Nassau by foot- and check out the duty free shops..souvenir shops, drugstores, shoe stores.. nassau was my favourite port by far .

Any other questions, just let me know! ENjoy your vacation, is going to be great!!!!!
Old January 26th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to mariamc

thank you so much sympatico for all of that great information.
but can i bother you for some more info, please...

we are going on the dawn 02/29/04 with our two daugthers one 9 and one 13. are there activities for the 13 year olds, she is a bit shy , very mature, and she gets bored of us and would rather spend sometime with kids her own age. we are not comfortable with just letting go around the ship alone. we would like to let her spend time with teens her own age ,in an supervised enviorment . thank you again so so much .
maira
Old January 26th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Ob Nurse

Youth counselor..great memo! I wanted to ask you if it's worth booking the room at the Comfort Suites to use Atlantis facilities. It looks like we are only there from 7am -1 pm. Does the ship leave right at 1pm?? Thanks!
Old January 26th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Anonymous

Mariamc

Wow, i think i have too much time on my hands. i don't sit ont he computer all day! reallY! But i love to answer questions about my job. It was just so fun, i can't get enough!

Register your 13 year old in the teen program. Its very laid back, and easy going. THere is one counselor on duty for this group, and it will be a girl. Their activities start at a meeting place, and they don't spend all their time in one room like the other kids do. THey will be throughout the ship..either having some sweets at the chocolate buffet... Or... hot tub parties... Crazy weird scavenger hunts around the ship.. basketball games/competitions, dance competiions... Or sometimes even, most of the teens just like to sit around and find a cool place on the ship, and honestly, they will just sit there and chat with each other, and it feels almost like home, because everyone gets to know each toher so well. Its ag reat way to meet new people.... encouragement is key if she is shy.

Now..the 9 year old.. will have to be in the 6-9 year old group.
There are going to be ALOT Of 9 year olds.. in with that group. This age group is uslaly the majority of kids on the ship. But.. the 6-9 program is great, for all of its ages. ball pit, movies, pirate night... there will be a snack everynight, spy night.... alot of cool ball gams, like gagga ball- kids love this, - a version of dodge ball.... and much more. it really is a lot of fun.

Also, the ship is very safe. There is alot of security, and a lot of people around at all times. The staff is extremely helpful and nice. I was saying to someone else, if you are worried about your daughters whereabouts, purchase some walkie talkies before you leave for your cruise, as on the ship they are AWESOME. You can always track down your kids.. and with it being such a large ship, its easier and less stressful then searching 14 decks...

Hope that answers your question
Old January 26th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Anonymous

Ob Nurse-
Yes the ship is usually very punctual, and when i was there, it always left ON TIME. So from 9-1.. and travelling time to atantis.. and.travelling time back to the ship, you really are only there for a few hours... Its up to you, but the day will feel a little rushed if you have big plans.
Old January 26th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Passenger

Youth Counselor

Thanks for your comments. There has been some confusion about the hours of the kids program. Is it only open during the day on port days for paid babysitting? What about during holiday weeks, like Easter?

Also, I have a son with develop. delays. Will there be any problem putting him in the kids program? He has already been on a Celebrity ship and had a great time in the kids club with no problems.

thanks.
Old January 26th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to mariamc

dear sympatico,
i wish you were working on the dawn when we are going on the cruise. If you are any indication of the staff on this ship, then we are truly in great hands.
ncl should be grateful to have a crew member on board that is so willing to help people with thier questions even on his own time.

i will make sure to purchase the walkies talkies this weekend, that will be a great way to keep in touch.

It sounds like a perfect setting for our daughters.. i am so excited this is there first cruise and our first time on ncl. i am so so so grateful to you for help. thank you again.

maria: )
Old January 26th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Puff

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I wish you were going to be on my cruise! So the kids programs run all day until 10pm? Is there a babysitting room for late night or do sitters come to your room? What is the cost of that? Do you know what the beer and cocktail prices are? Can we bring our own?
Old January 27th, 2004, 01:55 AM
Anonymous

Hours of Kids Crew REGULAR PROGRAMMING as follows:

For the Cruise from NYC- Nassau=

On a SEA DAY = 9am-12pm, 2pm-5pm and 7pm-10pm.

days at port- 7:00-10pm.

Babysitting available:

"Late Night Party Zone"=
Everynight from 10pm-1am. a Fee of 5$/hour/child
-This is when all ages 2-12 are in the t rex centre together, equipped with a ball pit.. mini cinema, access to board games, colouring, beach balls, giant balls.... mats... the list goes on and on

"Port Play"=
Everyday when the ship is in port, a Charge of 5$/hour/child. Port play is available usually from the time the ship docks... til 5pm the latest i do believe. -the same idea as the Late night party zone.
-Port play usually has less kids participating, and there is only 1 counselor on duty- but there will probably only be about 5 kids- just an estimation- don't take my word for it.

When i was working on the dawn, we had alot of kids, with many different medical and or/ develmental delays, ADD, ADHD, CP kids... diabetic.. we have them all, and they all got along just fine. Write down your childs condition on the registration form. It will be written on the back of their bracelet that they wear when in program..so the counselors are informed.
Also- if you feel your child may not be able to work well with a specific age group s/he is more than welcome to come down to the next age group. NCL policy just won't allow younger kids to move up to an older age group.

Unfortunately, NCL rid their babysitting in rooms just recently within the past couple of years for security reasons., and now offer as i mentioned, port play and the late night party zone.

Alcohol is not allowed to be brought onboard the ship.

Beer prices, and cocktails.. cocktails i know.. i'm pretty sure..range from.. maybe 4$-8$????? i'm sorry dont' know much about this. i never really spent alot of time in passenger ares at the bars...

And to ease your mind, all of the counselors onboard the Dawn, are completely awesome. To be honest, it was the first job that i have ever worked at, where there wasn't one uncool, stuck up or mean person! You will find all of the counselors to be completely awesome in every single aspect.

Oh and OB Nurse- the ship on fridays when i was there, actually left at 2pm ... not 1pm. Sorry, I wasn't thinking properly.

Um.. As for easter holidays? I dont' see why things wouldn't be running as planned. I worked over Christmas, and Christmas day, we did not offer port play babysitting on the private island. That was the only thing that was changed.
I imagine, things will run as per usual. You will get a program, that has all of the activiies planned out almost hourby hour for the whole week. Go to the orientation on the evening of your arrival to the ship, and all of your questions can be answered there.

Anyway, again,, i hope this answers all of your questions.
yes, i do answer these questions on my own time- i guess i just liked my job that much, that i can't get enough of it!

Oh and just to remind everyone- what i am talking about, is how things were from November to January.. on the NYC to Nassau Run. Things..such as prices and times could change ... so be aware, this is just a rough guide..

You are all going to have such a wonderful time!