Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2004, 02:36 PM
estrella

Default Dawn in May

Anyone planning on going on the Dawn the first week of May, 2004? This will be my first cruise on the Dawn and I am excited to meet some new cruising friends!!!
Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to GEO396
Default Re: Dawn in May

My wife and I will be on the same cruise. We ended up on the 11th deck and are really looking forward to getting away for a week. Reading Pennsylvania is home base. Where do you guys hail from? Hope to see you on board.
George & Peggy
Old March 11th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Lady Reeler

I will be going on the Dawn on May 2nd with a group of 41 people from the Patchogue Moose Lodge. This is my 3rd cruise with NCL but my first out of NY. I am looking forward to that.
We loved the Freestyle dinning on the Sun and the Sky.
Old March 13th, 2004, 02:32 PM
estrella

Default Re: Re: Dawn in May

Hi George and Peggy!

My husband Frank and I (Esther) are really looking forward to it. We are on the 8th deck. We are from Attleboro, Mass. This is only our second cruise and our first with Norwegian. Hope to meet you on board!!! Are we in the same age bracket so we have thing's in common? We are in our middle 40's.
Old March 13th, 2004, 02:34 PM
estrella

Hi - It's just me and my husband for this cruise. Sounds like you have a fun group.
Where is the Patchogue Moose Lodge located? Where are you from?
Old March 15th, 2004, 10:39 AM
mommyof2

Hi! I live on Long Island also and will be cruising for the first time with my husband and 2 children, ages 2 1/2 and almost 5 on May 2 out of NY. We are on the 11th deck. Can't wait!!
Old March 19th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Lady Reeler

Hi,
The Patchogue Moose Lodge is in Medford Long Island. We are about 60 miles from the City. We are hiring a bus to take us in to the piers.
We are all middle aged. We are also on deck 8. Most of us have BD cabins with a balcony. Hope to meet you on board.
Where are you on LI?
Old March 19th, 2004, 10:20 AM
mommyof2

We are in Stony Brook-not very far from you at all! We also have a balcony. We are in our 30's. That's a great idea to hire a bus. My in-law's are going to take us and pick us up do we don't have the expense of long term parking. I hear it is expensive.
Old March 19th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Lady Reeler

I am trying to find a Banner to put on our cabin door that would identify us as Cruise Critic members. I cant find any. I guess I will have to make one up my self. Does Cruise Mates have a banner that I could download?
Old March 19th, 2004, 03:48 PM
estrella

We sound like a great group going. Good idea about the bus. My husband and I are supposed to take a bus from the capital of Rhode Island all the way to New York. That will be tiring in itself. We'll probably catch up on our sleep so we can have more time awake for the cruise, not to mention waiting for the ship to let us on in the first place.
Old March 19th, 2004, 03:51 PM
estrella

Speaking of the cruise - since some of us are middle-aged, we were wondering how many children do you think will be on board. We took the Disney cruise and they were running us over in the stair wells. Ahh, kid's are great aren't they -gotta love them.
Old March 19th, 2004, 04:13 PM
mommyof2

I will have 2 kids with us-my in-law's took the same cruise in November and they said there were a decent amount of families with kids on it.
Old March 25th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Mike (and kim)

We will also be on board..honeymoon! Getting married the day before. FROM NYC
LATE 30's.
Old April 18th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Laura R.

We will be on board also. First cruise. Husband is in 50's, I'm in 40's. We live in Jersey, and we'll be on the 9th deck. I've traditionally visited unusual countries (last trip was to Bulgaria & Turkey) on my own staying in hostels. This will be quite a change.
Old April 25th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Mike (and kim)

ONE WEEK TO GO!!! HIP HIP HOORAY

I hope we have good weather .. MAY 2-9 DAWN people RULE!!!... smile
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Bob Stevens

Have a great trip!
Old April 28th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Passenger

Going on 5-l6 on the Dawn, I'm looking forward to your opinion of everything when you get back. Please!
Old April 28th, 2004, 11:25 AM
DAWN & JOH

Hi Laura!!

John and I are from Long Island, Central Islip.

We are in our mid-40's. We are planning to go to Universal Studios that Tuesday.

Our cabin is on Deck 9.
Old April 28th, 2004, 11:33 AM
DAWN & JOH

HI MIKE & KIM:

John & I cant wait to get on that luxurious cruise ship Dawn. Hope to see you both
there.

We are on Deck 9.

Dawn & John
Old April 28th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Lady Reeler

And AWAAAAAY we go.....!
We are on Deck 8. Hope to see all of you.
Donna & Donald
Long Island
Old April 28th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Eve

Hi -

We just got back from our cruise on the Dawn on 4/25/04. We had a fabulous time and it was the best vacation we've ever had! (Yes, we've cruised before with another line) Here's some tips:

The Venetian, Aqua and Impressions are the only restaurants where reservations are not required. It's literally first come, first serve. The service in all three were excellent!

LaTrattoria's food was marginal and it took us 4 days to get a reservation there. The service was also nothing to write home about.

Salsa was very good too. However as with La Trattoria, go the Deck 7 midship and stand in line at 8:00 a.m. the day before you wish to make your reservation. If you try calling on the phone, it is close to impossible to get through.

The Garden Cafe has buffet style breakfasts, lunches and dinners. The food at all three times was very good! If your hungry after the restaurants close, The Blue Lagoon is open 24 hrs. It has a limited menu, but the food is still pretty good if you're hungry.

If you like playing Bingo, wait until the last two days. The prices for playing Bingo are considerably cheaper than the begining of the cruise.

Juice, Tap Water and Ice Tea is free. Soda, alcoholic beverages are extra. A tip: if you like the speciality drinks, order the first one with the souvenir class. Keep the glass, washing out in your room and the next time you want a speciality drink hand them your glass, which they'll also wash out and refill for a smaller price.

A must: Go to the entertainment shows - the Jean Ryan company is WONDERFUL!!!!! We normally only go to one show on cruises - we hit every show they had and thoroughly enjoyed them. On the last night, they have one show only at 7:45 p.m. - it is a riot!

The cruise director, Ricky Matthews is hysterical - he makes the cruise fun!!!!!

The cruise excursions were okay. We went to NASA and loved it. In Miami we took the B & B Hopper and to be truthful, we could have skipped it. There is not much to do during the day at South Beach and Miami Beach as all of the action takes place at night and you are long gone by then!

Grand Stirrup Cay is a nice, relaxing day in the sun. The have a huge bbq, clean bathrooms and a Straw Market, which unfortunately, I should have gone to.

Nassau is an extremely short trip. We took the City and Pirate Tour which was nice, but cut into our time at Nassau. We got off of the ship at 9:15 and had to be back on board at 1:30 p.m. Our tour ran an hour late ending at 12:20 p.m. instead of 11:15 a.m. There was no time for browsing or shopping. We hit the Straw Market across from the Pirate Museum and only had time to do two rows. It is amazing. Another tip: negotiate your prices. They are willing to move on prices to sell their items as the other vendors carry pretty close to the same items. We could have easily spent a few more hours there.

I'm not sure if you are traveling with children or not. We have an eight year old daughter who had an even better time than us. They have a kids buffet which is scrumptous and she never stopped eating from the time we got on until the time we got off. Every single restaurant has chicken nuggets, etc. The camp was great too! The counselors are fun and they have plenty of family oriented games planned.

The pools are heated which makes life nice. The week we went was Spring vacation, so it was rather difficult to use the hot tubs, which were occupied by teenagers. Another tip: The El Dorado Spa (at no charge) has a hot tub, spa and lap pool for adults only to use.

If you're looking for souvenirs that say Norweigan Dawn, the last day of the cruise they have $5.00 t-shirts on Deck 7 (atrium), along with some really nice watches for $79.99.

Hope you enjoy your trip and happy cruising!

Eve
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Mike (and kim)

WOW...we are getting ready right now. We are going to have a great time....! That review was wonderful. Since we are coming w/o kids, we hope to enjoy some of the evening programs....I cant wait to go on the balcony and look at the stars that first night.