Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Concierge service ...

Just wondering what most people use the concierge service for and how did it make a difference?
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:50 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Concierge service ...

Ease and convenience!
Consierge can handle tender tickets
tours
shore excursions
dinner reservations
Old April 16th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Tomct

Default Concierge service ...

We are far from "high maintenance" people, but did use ours for a couple of problem resolutions that saved us some valuable vacation time on board. One had to do with a major excursion problem resulting in full credit for us and a couple travelling with us. the other had to do with some "ship to shore" telephone credits amounting to nearly $100 resulting from a mixup related to complimentary calls allowed when our ship was going to me 6 hours late due to a medical emergency on board. Our alternatives in each case would have been to go through normal channels, and in the case of the phone calls, it was at check out time and the line at the desk was about 50, many of whom had the same problem. We ducked all that with a 30 sec. phone message.
Old April 16th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Passenger

Does the coniserge get very busy, or are they pretty available? Is their tip included in the flat gratuity?
Old April 16th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Tomct

Default Re: Re: Concierge service ...

Ours seemed very busy, but we also had access to an assistant, and I think it was the hotel director's adm. asst. or secretary. We often laeft messages that were always responded to promtly with a return call and/or action.

It was our 1st expereience with a concierge, and memory tells me a tip was not part of a general tip. However, it seems I was also told that such staff is compensated pretty well, and tipping was not necessary. That said, we appreciated her service very much, as it saved us much grief resolving the two problems we had, so we tipped her pretty well, by putting cash in an envelope, and delivering it to her office, which was just behind the main service desk. I think a tip could be directed to the concierge staff, but it would be subject to splitting. I also tried to sniff out what might be appropriate, but the staff could not and would not make any suggestions.
Old April 17th, 2004, 06:16 AM
ppaxton

Default Re: Re: Re: Concierge service ...

I am curious to see if you get any more responses. This will be our first cruise with a butler and a concierge service and I'm not sure what to do about tipping.
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:33 PM
sunlover317

When we sailed on the Norway, the concierge Karen got us tender tickets so that we didn't have to go wait for them and we were among the first to get off the boat. Other than that, I don't remember using the service. I plan on using the concierge for dinner reservations on our next cruise since it is freestyle.
Old April 30th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Concierge service ...

I had an AB Penthouse on the Dawn in June 2003 (and will again June 2004). I made good use of both the Concierge and the Butler. On embarkation day the Concierge, Butler and room stewards came to the suite to introduce themselves. A form was left to fill out what speciality restaurant we wanted to eat at. You could pick date and time for the entire cruise. We were also able to make a last minute change in Le Bistro one evening by caling the Concierge. The Butler was great. You have a special room service menu that is the Butler's menu. It is a more extensive menu. You can also order any main diningroom meal brought to your room. On the formal night we decided to eat in suite. "Arnie" the butler brought us each dinner and set us a nice table with cloths and flatware. We had "Arnie bring us breakfast most every morning so we could eat on the balcony.

The service was great
Old April 30th, 2004, 12:22 PM
KarlaC

I am going on the Dawn in June of 04 and have an AC Penthouse Suite. I never had concierge/butler service before. Is it free and how much should we tip?

Thanks for the info.
Old April 30th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Concierge service ...

When in June do you sail on the Dawn. My daughters and I are on the June 6 sailing.

The Concierge and Butler are not a part of the automatic tip that is taken on your onboard account. They are an extra service and I would tip them as such.

I gave them a tip of about $50 each up front and let them know that it was a thanks in advance because I would be using their services alot. They were great !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I gave them about $150 each at the end of the cruise. The tip is of course a very personal thing and of course is expected but not required.
Old April 30th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Concierge service ...

I forgot to mention that your room service is delivered by the Butler to your suite. Usually it is expected to tip the room service with each food delivery. I let the butler know that my children will probably want room service while I am not there with a tip. I like to tip up front so that tipping each service won't be necessary,.

The services of the Concierge / Butler are included in the price of your suite. What you pay them is in tips.