Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Karen Hahn

Default Cell Phone

Colin Veitch of Norwegian Lines was quoted in our newspaper, "Are you going to be annoyed by sitting next to the pool and having somebody talking on their cell phone? Probably not any more annoyed than just having a noisy person next to you. . . . People will just get used to it."
After riding MetroNorth to work for 12 years, I found the cell phone usage got more and more annoying. I'll just get used to it???? Is he nuts? What is a vacation for? Sitting next to a noise person is annoying but sitting next to a one-sided conversation, usually notable by the ego of the person carrying on the conversation and usually loud, is not just a little annoyance. Personally I won't cruise on a ship that allows unlimited used of cell phones.
Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cell Phone

well that day is comming some carnival and Rccl ships allready have it!

Carnival Celebration 94
Carnival Fantsy 96
Old July 19th, 2004, 10:30 PM
First Mate

I was just on Adventure of the Seas and people used their cell phones whenever they wanted to. Keep in mind that it is very expensive if you have just a national plan. I used mine in St. Thomas and San Juan because it was part of my national plan. I never talk for more than a few minutes on mine anyway. But if someone wants to use their phone then so be it ... they're paying for it. I've never heard of a cruise line banning cell phones. If that's the case, can they also ban smoking?
Old July 19th, 2004, 11:19 PM
Carol Pullen

Default Re: Re: Cell Phone

I am on the phone all day, doctors, claimants, attorneys, providers, lien claimants, part of the big draw on taking cruises has always been not having to listen to any ringing phones. It is a real escape. I for one do not want to hear any "jingles" or "fancy ring tones' while on a cruise ship. One can call home while in port and in an emergency someone can always get a message to you. I find a lot of people who talk on cell phones do not care in the least that they are talking about personal matters in a crowd. I do not want cell phones for the same reason, I would not want 10 people around me at the pool all listenting to different, loud music. I want to tune the rest of the world out for a week or two and just totally relax.
It is not the noise per se but the association. People talking, kids laughing and playing have no effect on me, that actually adds to the fun.

Carol
Old July 19th, 2004, 11:41 PM
First Mate

I don't want cell phones next to me at the pool either, but ,once the technology is there.
I don't see how it can be helped .

dalwhitt

As you may know Carnival did have one smokefree ship (Paradise) but they couldn't keep it booked and from what I understand it is returnung to being a regular cruise ship with designated smoking areas. (Welcome back by the way . I gather from your posts that your AOS cruise went well.)

Karen Hahn

Quote : 'I'll just get used to it???? "

Well NCL thinks you will. That seems to be there approach to all customer concerns these days. Bad food, long waits for tables, dirty cabins, I guess they look at all these problems then Mr. Veitch solves them all by saying
, "People will just get used to it."
Old July 20th, 2004, 12:12 AM
First Mate

Yes Gardencat, things went very well on my AOS cruise, thank you very much. Its in my top two among my nine cruises. And in less than three weeks I'll be on Pride of Aloha. There is nothing like a cruise ... or two.
Old July 20th, 2004, 10:40 AM
shadow99

Carol,I totally agree,as a TA I am on the phone all day long.I do not wish to hear ringing phones while trying to relax around the pool,and yes,most of these individuals do not give one hoot that we are hearing their personal conversation..I also want total escape from clients,phones,faxes,emails,etc.etc.Regular ship noise is no problem,but most of these people need a lesson in phone etiquette....
Old July 20th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Cell phones only work when the ship is within sight of land. I wouldn't worry about this.

www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old July 30th, 2004, 08:27 AM
George in NY

Default Re: Re: Cell Phone

Anne,
Yes currently the case but techology now exists to allow regular cellphone useage while at sea and hence the concerns of many.

George in NY