Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 9th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Passenger

Default POA - October

My entire family has booked the POA October 10-17. We are very nervous about all the unfavorable reviews. It sounds like it would be better to book a rental car at every port and do our own excursions. Can anyone give me some advice???
Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to segerdsegerd
Default Re: POA - October

Do not cancel that cruise! We were on the July 18th sailing. There are some problems but NOTHING that you'll even have time to notice because you'll be enjoying the islands and all they have to offer. Just get to dinner fairly early, say 5:30 - 6:30, and you'll be just fine! Have fun and stop worrying! I'll send you any information that you need about the trip. It's the best way to see the Hawaiian islands and most of the crew is very helpful.
Old August 9th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: POA - October

Thanks! You just don't even know how this calms my nerves. Since I'm the cruise director, I feel responsible for everyone having a good time.

Are their irons on board?
How much are the cocktails?
Should we have a rental car waiting at every port and plan our own excursions?
Old August 9th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Passenger

Glad that you're feeling a little better about this cruise. I too was the cruise director for our party, everyone had a good time.

No irons, I brought a travel one.

The cocktails were pretty expensive, was trying to look at my charge account that I have here. I guess they were around $7 each. We only ordered frozen drinks so I'm not sure about beer and wine.

We didn't bother renting a car in each port, only Oahu when we returned as we were staying there for an additional three days. If you have a lot of people in your group you might want to because those shore excursions are very expensive. We booked excursions that we found on the web instead of the ones on the cruise ship. We were either picked up at the terminal or walked if it was close by. Maui is the toughest port, there's nothing nearby.

Hope you have a great time! If you have any other questions, just ask and I'll try and help you.
Old August 10th, 2004, 08:35 PM
eeco

segerdsegerd, Thank you for your positive outlook on this cruise. I will say we were getting a little nervous as we are booked on the Nov. 7th cruise and still have time to cancel but would hate to. We haven't been to Hawaii in about 24 years and our daughter will be celebrating her 21st birthday while on the cruise. We are spending 6 days in Oahu prior to the cruise. I want her first cruise to be unforgetable (more for the positive stuff than negative hopefully) Glad to hear you folks actually had a good time and the problems weren't bad enough to impact your trip. I do feel a little better and would appreciate hearing more about your experience when you have the time. Thanks, eeco
Old August 11th, 2004, 07:28 AM
asgiess

I too had my first cruise on the POA on July 4th (the inaugural sailing). We had a
blast. We were way too busy ziplining on Kauai, downhill bicycling on Maui, kayaking
and snorkeling on Hawaii, to even notice that the food lines were a little long. The
cruise will be what you make of it. I do suggest that you book your excursions on your
own and enjoy the islands. If you have any questions about any details about where
I booked my excursions, let me know, and I will be glad to help. The excursions
definitely made my trip. Have fun!
Old August 11th, 2004, 08:11 AM
mahalo

PLEASE CANCELL!!!!!!
Read my previous post, then go see Hawaii on your own. There are soooo many other things that are wrong with that cruise that i didnt post. Save your money and book hotels on the islands on your own.....Hawaii and all of its islands are gorgeous and a deffinite 'must see'....but dont cheapen your tresured memories by sailing on this 'floating disaster'.....maybee they should re-name it POS!!!!.
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Sue Smith

You dont have the right to tell folks to cancel, that is so not right. I am on the POA on 9/5 and plan on having a blast!!!
Old August 11th, 2004, 02:18 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: POA - October

"You dont have the right to tell folks to cancel, that is so not right. I am on the POA on 9/5 and plan on having a blast!!!"

I hope you do have a good time however, I think Mahalo is allowed to give whatever advice he/she wants. They have been on the cruise and know what they experienced. If they feel that cancelling is the best thing to do why shouldn't they say so?
Old August 11th, 2004, 04:10 PM
mahalo

This is a public forum....The same rights that allow someone to say 'don't cancell, take this cruise' ect. , are the same rights another person would have to say the opposite. To say someone "does not have the right to say something" tears at the very fabric of our constitution. Having said this, I would like to point out that I offered my OPPINION.....it is up to mellen or any other person for that matter to make up their own mind. Lets all act like the adults that we are and not turn this forum into a series of personal attacks made simply because an individual did not agree with anothers' oppinion.

I needed to first get that off my chest. Now for some practical advice.....If you are taking the POA as a way to 'taxi' around the islands of hawaii and dont mind the terrible service or having to rush thru the overpriced shore provided by ncl, to be at the restaurant as soon as it opens at 5pm just so you can get to eat, then it is very practical.....but....if you take a cruise to enjoy 'the cruising experience' so to speak, then spend your hard earned dollars elsewhere. Either way hawaii is "a must see"
Old August 12th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Passenger

Would love to hear which excursions you took and what you recommend.
Old August 12th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Passenger

Was I happy about the problems on this ship while I was there? No. Did it ruin my week and the fantastic time we had in Hawaii? No. We (from the cruise) discussed this again today and all agreed that we had a good time. Nothing that happened on this cruise changed our minds about what a great time we had. We did not rush back from our shore excursions to get to dinner by 6:00. We like to eat early so this didn't bother us at all. None of our excursions were rushed or cut short to get back on time. The shore excursions we did included, zip lines, bike ride, helicopter tour of the big island, kayaking, snorkeling, and Pearl Harbor. We did most of these through the excursions desk and did not rent a car. Everyone is looking for something different on a vacation, we had a good time doing exactly what we did. Hope that you have a great time too.
Old August 12th, 2004, 08:44 PM
asgiess

I agree with Segerdsegerd 100 percent. The shore excursions made our cruise. Yes, there were problems with the ship but it did not ruin my time in the Hawaiian islands. If you want to spend all that money and gripe and complain the whole week, you will have a lousy time. If you enjoy the islands and the excursions and laugh about the little things that go wrong on the ship, you can enjoy your time. It's up to you!!
Old August 12th, 2004, 11:17 PM
SurfAngel

Mellen
I too had a wonderful time in Hawaii. The shore excursions that we did were Horseback riding, and surfing in Kaui, the eco-safari in Hilo, body glove snorkel and dolphin sail in Kona, and waterfall/hiking adventure, luau, and Atlantis Submarine in Maui. I highly recommend the hiking adventure, surfing, luau, and the body glove snorkel and dolphin sail. But like I said before if you want to see the spinner dolphins go in the afternoon. Unfortunately I wasnt on that trip. I went in the morning and missed them. Still it was an awesome excursion and if you have kids they will love it! Mine did! Hope this helps!
SurfAngel
Old August 18th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Passenger

Hi - its me again! Do you happen to experience any karaoke on the POA??? I understand the have a karaoke bar or something. I'm wondering if they had a good song selection or just a few popular songs.

Thanks!
Old August 19th, 2004, 03:40 PM
John Tee

Make sure you have a group of 9 or more so you can get a fixed seating time rather then waiting around for an hour and missing the shows. (The shows are pretty good.)

Don't bother with the drink sticker ... your better off paying for your sodas using your room # and getting a can rather then a thimble of soda. We got the sticker and it was a total mistake. You spend all your time hunting around for an open bar, being told to go to another ... waiting around for the bar tender to finally get to you and then you get this tiny plastic cup of soda. If you ask for two ... man they rip into you ... you scum for even asking. It was unbelievable. Get the whole freaken can and enjoy it as you watch all the sticker people scurry around getting their fill if they can. What a joke.

If you go with your group realizing that the Dinning situation is going to be total mayhem ... but Hawaii is fantastic ... it is possible to have a good time on this cruise.

The Breakfast Buffet is very bad. I don't know how breakfast is in the dinning rooms because we didn't have time to waist two hours doing breakfast so we suffered through the buffet ... uncooked eggs, fruit from cans, stuff running out, table no cleared ... oh it was a joy.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 04:53 PM
jpconner

I would love to know how you reserved the excursions. We are booked on the Oct. 17 cruise. thank you.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 05:49 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: POA - October

I found all the places that we want to visit on Google.com; then I either emailed or called and made reservations and got directions. We're are renting a car in each port . I also live on Oahu so am familar with the outer islands. We are horseback riding on Kauai (Silverfalls Ranch - North Kauai); visiting Hawaii Volcanoes National Park from Hilo; visiting NELHA and Kona Coffee Farms from Kona; Lahaina and Kaanapali Beach from Maui; and Haleakala downhill bike ride on Maui. I found some wonderful maps with driving times on google too.

Our trip is Oct 10-17 and I'm hoping to post a fantastic review for all the nervous travelers!
Old August 23rd, 2004, 07:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are going on Oct. 24 and would like to do the same thing. Any info would be useful.
Old August 28th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Markisha Jones

Be very careful with what you eat or drink. My mother and grandmother just returned from Hawaii, they traveled from August 15, 2004 thru August 22, 2004. When my mother returned along with 10 other passengers on this cruise, they all became extremely ill. Two out of the 11 were hospitalized, and it was due to fecally contaminated food or water, was the doctors diagnosis. My mother became ill on August 23, 2004, on August 25, 2004 we had to transport her to the hospital by ambulance. So just be careful with what you eat or drink on that ship, not to mention service is very poor, and the ship condition is very unsanitary. So if you do decide to sail be careful. the menus never change in the resturants, and the food is cold and very distasteful.
Old August 28th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

CANCELL YOUR TRIP.. I've been to Hawaii 35 times and to every island.. Lana'i is my favorite.. People on this board tell how bad the ship is and how good the islands or shore trips or off the ship is.. So if off the ship is great, then don't get on the ship just because it will feel great to get off.. My advice here (and it is my 35 trip advice) is not just for the POA, it is for people who really want to see the land of Hawaii.. You need to be on the land, in your rent a car, not having to rush back to the ship at a certain time.. Go to the nice land resturants, visit the beaches and take your time..ect..I'll bet the total cost of a land trip with hotel, car, ect.. will be less than the cost of the ship and the shore stuff.. I like to cruise (34 of them), but I can tell if you want to see Hawaii the correct way and not just a touch of it, see it by land..Thank you,, OM
Old August 28th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Markisha...

I am very sorry for what happened to your mother and group of people. I sincerely hope they are all better soon.

This may have happened on the ship, or it may not have. Since they were travelling in a group they may have gotten it on any one of the islands in a restaurant. If 1/3 of your group got this then I believe we would have seen many more reports among other passengers on the same cruise if it was ship related.

Please do not go and post this on every thread we have as if you can prove it is ship-related. It may be, but I would tend to think it is not unless we get more reports of the same thing happening with passengers NOT related to your mother's group.

Old August 28th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Markisha Jones

However, many individuals in my family's group did not eat on the islands??????

PLUS my mothers' group were not the only passengers to get sick, check your board Paul!
Old August 31st, 2004, 01:58 PM
First Mate

We are going on our 25th anniversary cruise (lst cruise for both of us) on the POA and are very concerned about all the negative remarks. Can you help us with some shore excursion choices. Thank you ....how did your cruise go???