Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 22nd, 2004, 05:03 PM
firsttimecruiser

Default Cruiseline or some kid in his basement

I just got off the phone with NCL ordering the $79 anniversary package. I've read some people's remarks about not getting what they ordered and NCL insisting that the customer bear the burden of proof, so I was sure to ask about a receipt. They promised to fax one (and did so quickly to their credit.) It said nothing! It had the name of the package, the amount and that it was paid. Not a single detail that identified me (e.g. my name, stateroom number, cruise date, last four digits of cc number, fax number.) Its worthless as a confirmation. Everytime I call (after I finally found a number on their website) I am treated at best indifferently and frequently disdainfully. What kind of business is this? Has anybody else had similar experiences? I hate to be so gripey even before my first cruise and of course this isn't going to ruin anything for me. I'm just a little surprised. I mean, at least a kid in his basement would have a customer service email address.

I feel better now
Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2004, 06:09 PM
pata

Default Re: Cruiseline or some kid in his basement

Hi,
We just came back a few weeks ago from a NCL cruise and ordered the Anniversary Package. I did not ask for a receipt but the charge did show up on my credit card and I assume yours will also. The package was really nice and we enjoyed it very much. If you are worried just take a copy of your credit card statement showing the NCL $79 charge. I do not think you will have any problems at all. Do keep in mind that the bubbly and chocolate covered cherries will not be delivered to your stateroom until after you leave the port. Some confusion may come from thinking it will be in your stateroom when you arrive. It will not. If you do have any questions when you arrive, just call the information desk listed on the phone. You will find the crew are very compliant and will do all they can to insure you enjoy your trip. Hope this helps.

Pata
Old November 22nd, 2004, 10:40 PM
firsttimecruiser

Thanks Pata! That's a good idea about the credit card statement. I won't worry if the stuff isn't there when we arrive.
Old November 24th, 2004, 05:59 PM
pata

You are welcome. The crew on the Sea are the best. The power went out on the nite of the anniversary party and the host called our room to make sure we were coming, which I thought was very nice. They had the party in Boomers and took a picture of each couple in front of a cake. The pictures were excellent and the cake was delicious. Champagne was served and each couple told how long they had been married. We did run into a couple at the pool the next day who said they missed the party because when they approached the door the club was not lit up and they thought it was closed. So, don't be shy if it is a little dark, just go on in and enjoy. Have a great trip.
Old November 26th, 2004, 07:24 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Cruiseline or some kid in his basement

firsttimecruiser

I too have a very low opinion of NCL's customer service department and find they behave in a very unprofessional manner. Having said that though, I will say that the on board staff seemed to be much better and we had a very nice cruise on the Dawn last year.
If you can get past your dealings with customer service things should improve on board.
Old November 26th, 2004, 10:42 AM
pata

Hi gardencat,
Nice to see you are still here. Have another story about the customer service at NCL. I booked directly thru them on 9/27 for the sailing on 10/30. Julio was very nice and only charged my credit card the difference in the price and the $500 coupon I had from MBNA...which I had not mailed. I over nighted the coupon on 9/30. On 10/12 Julio called to say our trip would be cancelled unless I paid the balance due that day! I could have done that but wanted to know what had happened to my coupon and why they did not have it. When I got home that day I called and faxed Julio the receipt showing I had sent the coupon by registered mail and a copy of the coupon front and back. He implied that would hold off the accounting department until I could trace the package. The next day I went into the post office and they could not find it. No one really wanted to do anything there about it but a nice guy took pity on me and spent some xtra time and found it in the Miami post office, but it had not been picked up by NCL.
Thinking all was well, I went on to work. I arrived home at 4:00 and had a message from Julio saying my trip was cancelled as of 5:00 if I had not made final payment. (And it was 5:00 in Miami when I got the message.) Talk about your heart racing! Anyway, long story short, NCL had finally picked up my package at 3:00 that day and credited my account and all was well. The thing that confused me was Julio had called me on my cell phone number the day before when he wanted me to finish the payment that day. The next day, when they were getting ready to cancel my trip.......they left a message on my answering machine at home without even calling the cell # which I had with me all day.
The reason the post office gave for the delay was the hurricanes in Miami and they are not really liable for anything. Just wanted to share this little story to show that not only NCL may be lacking in customer service, but the US Post Office as well. I really think the lack of caring is world wide and if you do mangae to find someone to help you in a delima, it is pure luck and not because anyone really has to do it. Anyway, I was glad I had my receipt at the post office and glad that the man took the time to help. Oh yes, and it was obvious that whomever he was talking to during the search, did not want to help him either. He stayed calm and was persistant in his search. He also took the time to report that someone to their superior for refusing to help him.
Persistance was the key........like I said, nice to see you are still here gardencat.
Old November 27th, 2004, 09:43 PM
First Mate

Pata,
Speaking of persistance... yes I'm still here.
I have been checking in occasionally just to see how things are going with the POA and NCL in general but have been happy to see that things seem to be improving as far as POA is concerned.
I'll be interested to see if NCL manages the PO America launch better than that of the Aloha.

Glad to see your name too, and glad to hear that you enjoyed your cruise on the Sea.
Old November 28th, 2004, 07:01 PM
pata

Gardencat,
Yes, I have been reading a few reviews about the POA also. Either things are getting much better.......or only the postives are posting!

Pat
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:23 AM
First Mate

pata,

I think that the cruise experience is getting better.
I also think that anyone who reads these boards or follows cruiseline news has, by now, heard the horror stories about earlier cruises and so is going in with lower expectations. Under those conditions, anything that goes right is a pleasant surprise and leads to more positive reviews than would otherswise have been given.

I think NCL would have handled this a lot better if they had admitted at the bginning that they were having staffing problems and offered people the opportunity to cancel on the early cruises. I'm sure some would have gone anyway but with lower expectations, and while NCL would have lost some of the revenue from those cruises, they would not have generated so much bad feeling and bad press and they might have held on to more of the original staff if they had not been put in such a difficult position.

Well, guess we will never know about that for sure but at least it is good that more customers seem to be satisfied these days.
Old November 30th, 2004, 06:14 PM
pata

Gardencat,

Certainly the reviews I have read are better than the earlier days. It is interesting also, that people seem to have also adjusted to the mandatory resort fee and tipping the staff on top of that. I guess most people do the mental math and include it in the cost of trip. I do. I have read a couple of reviews where people were still caught unaware at the end of their cruise. Like someone said...."They will get used to it." And, we did.
Old November 30th, 2004, 11:03 PM
First Mate

One thing I don't understand is that, despite the more positive recent reviews I have read here and elsewhere, the other cruiseboard, which allows users to give ships numerical ratings, still has the POA rated at 1.2. That is the lowest rating I've seen for any ship there and it hasn't improved in the last couple of months. That seems strange to me since the reviews have improved considerable during that time.
Old December 1st, 2004, 06:46 PM
pata

Gardencat,
Maybe they factor in the customer service along with the cruise experience when they rate? Also, I really believe that most people do not take the time to post reviews unless they are a fairly regular part of cruise board. Then, being a regular, it would certainly not make you too popular to post a negative review....as you well know. Perhaps the numerical ratings you mentioned are really a more honest feeling about the POA than a long drawn out review?

Pat
Old December 2nd, 2004, 07:17 AM
First Mate

Pata
You could be right about people being more willing to give a quick rating rather than write a long review but it still seems strange to me that the rating hasn't improved at all over the last few weeks.
Just another cruise mystery I guess!