Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Passenger

Default Norwegian or Princess

We are experienced cruisers and are trying to decide between the Norwegian Jewel or Star Princess for next January. I have posted this on another board but haven't gotten a response yet. The last two years we did RCCL but need a change. In the past we have always liked Celebrity and Princess, especially the food. We did Norwegian 10 years ago and really thought that the food was not as good as other lines. Any info on the main dining room food or other areas would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Sailoress

Default Re: Norwegian or Princess

Okay, well i've cruised, Carnival and Princess as a passenger, and work for NCL.

No offence to my own company that employs me, but i'm going to have to say princess.
the food is so much better, the ships.. seem cleaner.. there seems to be some extra touch added to the place, gives it some.. sparkle in a sense.

I would definitely go princess.

its my fav. cruiseline thus far.
Old February 11th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Familiar Face

I have noticed your posts on other boards. Very good idea to get a variety of opinions. I have not sailed NCL yet but will in 6 weeks on the Spirit. I have sailed Celebrity, HAL, Princess & RCI. I really enjoy the Princess experience. I enjoy HAL & Celebrity and IMO Princess is kind of a combination of both lines. I have been on Star Princess and I am booked on her again for Nov.

I am sure the Norwegian Jewel will be a great ship but I don't know much about the NCL experience. IMO, RCI & NCL are a notch below Celeb, Hal & Princess, but both lines still have much to offer. I would sail any of them, but my favorites are still the trio I mentioned.
Old February 12th, 2005, 02:38 PM
newmexicoNita

The jewel should be one of the nicest ships in the water. As you know everyone has his/her own idea about cruises and how they rate: I agree with shifra about Celebrity but certainly not about HAL anymore. I haven't cruised Princess and probably never will for reasons I would discuss right now: the two things that stand out for us and keep bringing us back to NCL are the alterntive dining rooms, not just one or two but several and the freestyle dining. it is becoming more popular and accepable all the time yet some still prefer traditional dining which has some positives as well. NMNita
Old February 12th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Norwegian or Princess

I have cruised Carnival, Princess and Norwegian (Holland America soon) and am in general agreement that Princess stands out above the other two. I agree with Nita that the new NCL ship, Jewel should be outstanding. I would also note that the things Nita likes about NCL (Alternative and Freestyle Dining) exist on all the Princess ships I've cruised.

Looks like you have some great choices. Whatever your decision, I don't think you'll regret it.

Regal Princess 4/03
Norwegian Star 11/03
Norwegian Wind 4/04
Dawn Princess 5/04
Norwegian Wind 9/04
Carnival Spirit 11/04
Norwegian Wind 3/05
Holland America Ryndam 5/05(2, back 2 back)
Carnival Liberty 9/05
NCL America, Pride of America 12/05
Norwegian Wind 4/06
Carnival Liberty 11/06