Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2005, 04:06 PM
mcweitz

Default questions about majesty

Can someone answer some questions about majesty?
Is there a better location to be on ship with regard to noise and movement?
Was the ship drydocked recently? What was done? I've read mixed reviews about staff and food quality-could you address that if you've recently been on the ship.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2005, 02:52 PM
kcusick

Default Re: questions about majesty

We sailed on the Majesty (our first cruise) in May 2003 and loved it, but there are a few things we're doing differently this time around (we're on the May 1 Boston-Bermuda). I get terribly sea sick, and didn't know that the worst place to be on a ship for motion is forward and near the top. Our cabin was in the bow of the ship and we had a suite, so we were on a high deck. I was one sick puppy that first night out of Boston--so sick I missed formal night our first full day out at sea. For minimum motion, opt for the lowest deck, mid-ship. Also, unless you absolutely feel you have to have that outside window, save your money and go for an inside room. Even the owner's suites on the Majesty don't have balconies, so you aren't missing much. Plus with 3 days in Bermuda, who cares about the view? Our inside (superior) cabin is actually larger than many of the outside cabins and cheaper! Pay attention to where the location of your cabin is for a quieter cruise. Don't book a cabin that's above a disco or a lounge. For sea sickness, I learned about the patches you get from your doctor at home before you set sail on that cruise, and wouldn't leave home without them ever since. PATCHES WORK!

Since May 2003, we've been on 3 other cruises (not NCL). I've got to say that the food and entertainment we experienced on the Majesty was a cut above the other two lines we cruised with, especially the breakfast pastries and desserts. We loved the Freestyle dining, where you can pick and choose when and where you want to eat and arn't "married" to a specific table and time for the duration of the cruise, but that's an individual thing. Some people love traditional dining and assigned seating. We had good service. The ship is old and was in need of a major re-do when we sailed, but it never interferred with the overall enjoyment of our cruise. It's a comfortable old ship and it's much smaller than what's being built these days, but we enjoyed the intimacy of seeing familiar faces and making a few new friends we might not have otherwise met. Obviously we don't mind the dated decor or we wouldn't be doing it again in six weeks. We heard about the fiasco on one of the last October Boston-Bermuda runs last year, but assume she's been repaired, as we're definitely sailing on May 1.

Bon Voyage!
Old March 12th, 2005, 05:59 PM
PGamble

Hi: We just returned today from a 7day cruise on the Majesty. From our arrival in Charleston to our return to Charleston it was great. When you arrive in Charleston parking, luggage, check in etc. is very efficient and takes very little time. The first person we met on the gangway was smiling and pretty much everyone thereafter was smiling. We had a little bit of rough water on leaving Charleston and I am told this is fairly common. Be sure and take a jacket as Sunday and Monday was a little cool at times. There is a formal night if you enjoy that and you can partake or not. We "dressed" every night for dinner, but when I say that I don't mean formal just what you would probably wear to a nice restaurant. We were in cabin 933 and had great stewards and it was v ery quiet. You are just the right distance from the elevators but not too far that you have to hunt for them. We had tons of spring break kids, but they were all a lot of fun and even though we were right under the pools on deck 10 I never really heard anything. The only problem we had with our cabin was that while we had a window we also had a lifeboat right in front of it. On the deck diagram on the Norwegian website it shows this lifeboat as not being in front of the window. But since you are on decks most of the time it doesn't really matter that much. All of the crew were wonderful. Anything you wanted they tried to get for you. In the restaurant you have a waiter and his/her assistant and the wine steward. They are watching your table all the time and are right on top of everything. I enjoyed all the food we had on board and we are kind of food snobs. The french fries on deck 10 are wonderful. There is a full beakfast buffet every morning on deck 10 with eggs, bacon, grits, oatmeal, waffles, pancakes, etc. You can also eat in the dining room. Full buffets at lunch on one end of deck 10 and a cook station on the other with hamburgers, fries and pizza. Ice cream pretty much all day. Our room was very clean and our stewards were great. As soon as we left for breakfast each morning they came in and cleaned, made the bed gave us clean towels and always filled our ice bucket. After we showered they would come back in at some point and leave more clean towels. At night they turned the bed down, left chocolates on the pillows and filled the ice bucket again. We had a small refrigerator in our room which was nice. We had plenty of closet space and drawer space. On Wednesday we had incredibly high seas and I, as well as several other people, had to leave the dining room. The hostess was wonderful, helped me out of the dining room and gave me lots of saltine crackers. They brought our dinner to our room and were just great. We had 30 foot waves and it was truly a rough night. We were told that this happens sometimes on leaving Cozumel and returning to Key West. We had a little rough water on Friday night, but not too bad. I hope this answers all your questions, but if you want to know anything else just let me know. This was our first cruise and we had a great time. Again everyone was really wonderful. Hope you have fun on your cruise. Pam
Old March 13th, 2005, 08:13 AM
First Mate

We enjoyed our Boston to Bermuda cruise on the Majesty so much, that we're booked for an "encore," in July.

I am anxious to compare the ship, before and after the drydock repairs. They were replacing carpet at sea during our cruise last May. What else was done?

Hopefully, they repaired the plumbing. Our toilet was out of order for a while, but was promptly corrected.
Old March 13th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Passenger

Do they make animals out of the towels at night like Carnival does and put on your bed? We always looked forward to going to the room and see what towel animal was left on the bed. thanks
Old March 18th, 2005, 02:22 PM
First Mate

Nope------no animals. Maybe they do it for children, but we have never seen it on Norwegian.

Carnival is famous for the towel animals. We had different ones every night aboard the Triumph.
Old March 18th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Tomct

Default questions about majesty

Plenty of towel animals on all our NCL cruises, three on the Dawn, one on the Star.
Old March 21st, 2005, 07:25 PM
mpm

Default Re: Re: questions about majesty

Tried to do this a few days ago and it never got posted.. so will try again....
We will be sailing on the Majesty also on May 1 this year...this will be our fourth trip on the Majesty.. although we went once before it was lengthened..
We didn't find that being on a top deck was bad.. we were in the aft though.. and will be there again this year.... We always take Dramamine before starting the cruise and while at sea and then again on the way home.. have not had any problems.. We also enjoy the freestyle cruising.. but we do take advantage of the dine around plan.. We like the Hog Penny and the Swizzle Inn..We have always used the moped...an easy way to get around..but have tried the busses alsoBermuda is our favorite place to vacation and this will be our twelfth time there...
Old March 30th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Beginner

No towel animals but wonderful waiters who entertained young and old alike with napkin rabbits!