Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2005, 03:28 PM
American Pride

Default Re: NCL DREAM was a NIGHTMARE!!!

I thought this thread would die but I guess not.... All cruise lines are required by the US government to report ANY GI illness whether it is norwalk or not. These mandatory reports are to be filed if there are over 15 reported cases on a cruise. It is impossibel to hide anything like that...just read these boards or watch CNN and you'll hear all about it right after it happens.
Old August 7th, 2005, 03:47 PM
newmexicoNita

American Pride, I too thought it had died but seems like our unhappy OP who isn't even on the Dream right now wanted it opened plus has started another thread. As I said, if nothing else it makes for interesting discussions. NMNita
Old August 8th, 2005, 01:12 PM
DroopySails

"I am so glad I dont work on a cruise ship because I would just go ballisitic and start slapping people in the face for being so demanding. "

My big laugh of the morning! Thanks!
Old August 8th, 2005, 01:58 PM
American Pride

Oh yeah and we won't take into account that at any given time there are probably 15 to 20% of the crew that are openly gay themselves.......and none of us really care if they are or not...it's their business.
Old August 15th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Russell Strong

Any info you could send me would be much appreciated regarding contacts, address's etc... We just returned from the Alaskan cruise aboard the Star and guess what? we did not make it to Glacier Bay due to reported mechanical malfunctions. Each room was given a whopping $200 dollars off any ship services incurred while cruising. We felt that upper staff members were less than concerned with our plight. Hopefully there will be many more cruisers that will lodge their complaints. Thank you.
Old August 15th, 2005, 10:13 AM
newmexicoNita

You got a $200 per cabin on board credit and you are not satisfied? What did you expect from missing a port? Until very recently, I don't care what cruise line you were on, missing a port resulted in nothing. Darn some people are just never satisfied. NMNita
Old August 15th, 2005, 11:52 AM
russ

Default Re: Re: NCL DREAM was a NIGHTMARE!!!

If you noticed Glacier Bay is not a port. The cruise is touted as a 7 day Glacier Bay cruise. Many many people were more than a little disappointed. If I did not want to see glaciers I would have booked a cruise elsewhere. What, do you work for this line?
Old August 15th, 2005, 05:31 PM
newmexicoNita

Hate to break this to you, but this isn't the first nor will it be the last ship to miss seeing Glaziers. I should have worded my remark a little more carefully, I am very much aware a glazier is not a port; I have been to Alaska more than once. I am sure many people were more than a little disappointed, I would have been also, but you didn't answer the question, what do you expect if $200 on board credit doesn't satisfy you? NMnita
Old August 15th, 2005, 05:34 PM
newmexicoNita

russ,
BTW, I am not sure what the question "what do you work for" means? Do you mean, who do I work for? If that is your question, I don't think that has any bearing on this issue. NMNita
Old August 16th, 2005, 03:27 PM
JL

NMnita you keep defending the line...but they are at fault...they not only missed 1 port, they were late on the next port...which means you could not do tours..and late on return which means that most of the travelers missed their flights...regarding illness...yes they are covering it up and NOT reporting outbreaks....you figure out why??? they are concerned with bottom $$$ line and not the customers!
Old August 16th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Stuff happens!

Ships sometimes miss ports or "areas" because of mechanical problems or weather problems. We missed a port on one cruise. We had our port fees refunded. I didn't expect anything else and would have been thrilled with a $200 credit!

I realize that you were disappointed, but what else did you want the cruiseline to do?

I always expect the unexpected, no matter how I travel. Planes are late or flights are cancelled. When traveling by car, there can be road construction and traffic jams.

Also, some of you obviously haven't read many of NMnita's posts! She doesn't always defend "the line". She just happens to have much more experience cruising than a lot of us, and I personally believe she's right on this one.

Regarding illness onboard. Cruise ships are required by the Centers for Disease Control to report any gastro-intestinal illness (Norwalk or others). Check out the CDC site:

http://www.cdc.gov

for lots of interesting info. about GI illness on cruise ships. (Type "cruise" in the search box.)

Post Edited (08-16-05 17:46)

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 16th, 2005, 06:20 PM
newmexicoNita

Fern, finally a voice of reason. I completely understand the disappointment these passengers are feeling, but there isn't too much more NCL can do for them. According to reports from another board they did offer hotel accommodations and meals for those who could not make their flights, they gave on board credits. I'm still wondering what is expected. As for the illness, anyone who knows anything about cruising knows the policy about reporting illnesses if they exceed a certain per centage.

NMnita
Old August 16th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Droopy Sails

Somebody on another board said it well:

There are cruisers and there are travelers (some of whom happen to cruise).

I'll take the travelers anytime.
Old August 21st, 2005, 02:17 PM
Lesley Smith

It is a shame that Norwegian Dream is still sailing, she has been a nightmare for 3 years, that I have noticed. I sailed last year in the Baltic and chose this ship for the itinerary, the Captain changed the route and missed one port and arrived in St Petersburg on the wrong day for the Ballet. I found out about the problems two days after embarking, but was told that "everyone" had been notified before the ship sailed.
The response to my compaints was, "too bad, so sad"!
I am cruising on the Jewel soon and hope it is better, 4 stops in 10 days across the North Atlantic. in hurricane season.
Good Luck getting your wishes.
Old August 21st, 2005, 03:00 PM
newmexicoNita

Leslie, a couple of things: 1-sounds like you will be with us, leaving out of Dover 2 weeks from today. Don't worry about the hurricanes, I will take care of the worrying for all of us. Shoreguy has said we are not allowed to use the S word; I guess he means storm! As for sailing the jewel, I can't imagine it being anything like the Dream. I was one of those who loved the Sea, but certainly don't expect the Jewel to be similar in any way except maybe Le Bistro. Have you signed up for any of the meet and greet parties? NMNIta
Old August 23rd, 2005, 01:40 PM
JackWC

Wow, you are really mistaken - we sailed on the Dream for 16 days this May and we felt she was great. I have read so many great reviews that coincide with my experiences, that I find it hard to place any credence with the negative ones. Sorry - I'm not buying your story.
Old August 24th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Lesley Smith

Default Re: Re: Re: NCL DREAM was a NIGHTMARE!!!

Glad you enjoyed your cruise Jack.
I, however, had a rotten time.
Old August 24th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Lesley Smith

You can sign up in advance?
I have booked my tours but not any meet & greets
Old August 24th, 2005, 11:22 AM
newmexicoNita

Lesley, don't ya want to go over to roll call/ NCL and join us for our 2 get togethers on the Jewel? We will meet at 6pm cruise night and again on the 6th. Hope to see you and of course this cruise will be a better one!!!! NMNita
Old August 25th, 2005, 12:48 PM
newmexicoNita

Gregg, check Dream CruiseA plus/ Both postings deal with the latest return which I believe was Monday. Forget about the shouting match, as you put it, Brandon had his say, I had mine and all is well that ends well. We were just trying to keep things interesting so everyone would continue reading!!!!! NMNIta
Old August 25th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Lesley Smith

Tried to go to roll call but my computer is not agreeable. I have the information and hope to see you on the 4th.................. my computer shuts down when it does not want to do anything.
Old August 25th, 2005, 08:34 PM
newmexicoNita

Lesley, I am so happy. We will see you 6pm in the Star bar, hey it rhymes. I thought you didn't like Shoreguy and me.

Nita
Old September 3rd, 2005, 07:50 PM
George_East

Default Anyone Suing NCL!!!

I am interested in hearing from any attorney that would like to bring a class action lawsuit against NCL
Old September 3rd, 2005, 08:08 PM
NeverUnderstand

Get a life George no reasonable attorney is going to listen to your pitiful whining.