Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Beginner

Default Injured OnBoard

My wife recently was injured on a Hawaiin cruise on NCL Pride of America.
While it is not the ships fault that this happened, the level of care she received was appalling. After getting her arm stuck in a door due to a vacuum created by a gust of wind, we went down to the medical office to see the Doctor because something did not feel right to her. After taking Xrays, the ships doctor, told her it was just a bruise, put her arm in an elastic bandage, gave her a script for Ibuprofen and sent her on her way. After the pain did not subside after 3 days, she visited her Doctor at home, and after another Xray discovered it was a Clear fracture. We have requesitioned her Xrays from the ships Medical office, but has anyone had any similar experiences involving injuries on board a cruise ship? Do we have any recourse about the lack of Care received?
Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Admiral

I had a similar experience but not on a ship; this was in St Martin about 20 years ago and it wasn't my fault. To keep it short: I broke my foot. The St Martin hospital was very nice but did nothing. They xrayed, it do show a small fracture and they told me, rather than cast it, I should try and find a big stick to use as a cane til I got back to America. They did wrap it in an elastic bandage which helped. I didn't let it spoil my vacation but I was somewhat handicapped: this happened the first day thus we spent one week doing very little. I will say it was relaxing. When I got home the xrays showed 3 small broken bones. BTW, I never did find that stick. I simply let it go; not the stick, the entire situation. While on the Jewel last year a woman in our group injured her arm. She seemed pleased with the care, but every ship is different. I think it's sometimes hard for us to realize, in America we react very different from many other countries.

If you are really unhappy I would write a letter, remember NCL is not about to accept blame as it throws them right into a possible law suit and Lond knows there are enough of those going around with every cruise line right now:Costa, RCI, CArnival (well I am not sure they have actually been sued yet) RCI and Celebrity: we all know Princess will get it as well. NMNita
Old April 7th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Sorry to say I did have a terrible accident on a ship.. My wrist was badly broken on the very first day...the M.D. set it, sent me a bill and never heard from them again..If you care to write to me I will tell you EXACTLY what to do..The cruise lines (it wasn't NCL) do not want to help you at all. parrotmom@comcast.net
Old April 8th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
Sorry to say I did have a terrible accident on a ship.. My wrist was badly broken on the very first day...the M.D. set it, sent me a bill and never heard from them again..If you care to write to me I will tell you EXACTLY what to do..The cruise lines (it wasn't NCL) do not want to help you at all. parrotmom@comcast.net
Hey Parrot Mom, haven't seen you on these boards for ages; hows the doggie doing? NMNita
Old April 8th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Admiral

The little Queen is doing fine..lol.. She right this minute has a pink Italian leather collar on with Swavsovki crystals..handmade.. Did you know in September I was the recipient of TWO more African Greys, a Grey who is 16 and after living in this house for four months decided to show off... and laid three eggs (we thought he/she was a male) and is so happy here just laid four more...lol. No, they are infertile.. Earlier in September became the recipient of a 20 year old neglected African Timneh...trying to get his feathers to grow back with some success....both newcomers have reverted to eating healthy. Nita.. it's a fun house... all for the animals...lol Oh yes..Ms Mellie is requesting cheese right now.. sharp only..

BTW checking out the boards for exciting trans-Atlantic for this fall or next..our last one on the Celebrity Century from Barcelona definetely hooked me
Old April 8th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Admiral

How many do you have now? Yes, I was about to ask if the eggs were fertile, but wondered how they could be if she/he was supposed to be a he and hadn't been bred.

We did the Jewel last fall; what a wonderful ship. I just can't say enough about it, plus we had hooked up with a large group from CC (sorry, the other board) we had the best cruise ever. Next time this week DD and I will be on the Sun for the second time. I will report back when we return. NMnita
Old April 8th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Have six and that keeps our life interesting..... also for the first time boarded a Grey... If could here the jabbering going on from the bird room you'd be hysterical.. The "boarder" talked with a "Indian-sing song voice)...Interesting that I'm interested in the Jewel and the Dream. On the CC we hooked up with a group from CC and did Tuscany...to die for.. Found a great driver in Barcelona and hotel...from this board I believe and a driver in Rome for Tuscany.