Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 8th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Passenger

Default NCL Spirit

I'm looking for feedback regarding the Spirit. We are considering a 11-day Southern Caribbean cruise over Thanksgiving and I'm not sure about this ship. Never having done a 11-day before I'm concerned about being this being too long. Last year we were on the Dawn twice w/i two months and enjoyed both trips.

I love NCL's Freestyle. Just returned from a 9-day on Celebrity, which we loved, but too many formal nights and dress codes.

I'd like to hear experiences from anyone who recently traveled on the Spirit.
Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Admiral

Hubby and I were discussing our recent Spirit cruise earlier today. We were kind of laughing about it, calling it our bipolar vacation. Which accurately describes our cruise better than anything. There were several things on the Spirit that were the very best of all of our cruises, then there were other things that were the very worst of all our cruises. Its a beautiful ship, We ate in all the speciality restaurants they were all good, Shogun, Teppenyaki, Le Bistro, and Trattoria were all great, Cagney's was OK. Kids facilities are top notch.
Our room steward was fantastic and took great care of us.
Raffles was alright if you were able to go there at off peak times.

We never ate at Garden Room, but did eat frequently for Lunch and Dinner in Windows and the food was good, but service was inconsistant, sometimes it was exceptional, other times it was not so great. Truthfully if I was given the opportunity to go again, I would do it again.
I did fall in love with the ship, it is gorgeous.
The longest we have cruised is 13 days, and I would have no issues with being on the`Spirit for 11 days.
Old April 10th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the input.

I think the "freestyle" experience (which I love) allows more room for inconsistencies during a cruise. I've cruised on a variety of different lines and like NCL for this "freestyle" experience. After working all week in Corp America, the last think I want to do is HAVE to dress up every night. Having the option of dressing formally is nice.

Are there enough things to do on the Spirit for 11 days (4 of which are at sea and will probably not be pool weather)?

What time of year did you cruise on this ship? Have you tried the Dawn? We were on the Dawn twice last year w/i 2 months. Each cruise was a totally different experience (even on the same ship). I think the second time had an entire new staff (which could have used more training). Although, the second time we were upgraded to a Penthouse Suite - that was awesome. But overall, the service was not what it was 2 months prior. Still, all in all, it was a great cruise - as all of them are. We just returned from a Celebrity Constellation repositioning that was the best yet (but when I return from one - that one was the best).

A bad day on a cruise ship is still better than a good day at work!

Any other input would be appreciated. BTW - I like the term "bipolar" vacation.
Old April 11th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Admiral

I have to agree with your conclusion regarding "freestyle" and inconsistency. However, it was sure nice not to have to lug that extra suitcase with all our formalwear. This was our 4th cruise in 14 months and we participated in formal nights on the previous cruises and got some beautiful pics, but we really just wanted to relax and let our hair down this time.
We cruised the Spirit just a couple weeks ago March 19-26. What surprised me was how quickly it started to warm up after we left NYC. Half way through our first sea day people started wearing shorts, and the kids were having a ball in the kids pool.
I think there is plenty to do on the Spirit, and was never bored. There were also several things I missed and will have to do again when we return. If you only have 4 sea days on an 11 day cruise, that seems pretty port intensive, I think you'll be glad for the sea days to kind of relax and catch your breath.
I did not try the Dawn, and I only saw her from a distance as we raced her back to NYC from Nassau.
I have to say that the one thing that did impress me in our meeting with some of the ship's officers was the fact that they invited constructive criticism. One of the officers was very interested in what we had to say and commented that our timing was good since she would be meeting with Colin Vietch NCL's President and CEO while we were in port in Miami and took notes so they could relay our thoughts to him.
Funny thing is I have been reading some posts in the last few days reflecting some positive changes in the areas we had discussed, it could be a coincidence, but wouldn't it be nice if our comments resulted in improving the cruise experience for those who come after us?
Some people don't like to hear anything negative about their favorite cruise line or ship, but often by bringing these things out into the open and bringing them to the attention of those who can make changes, it brings improvement.
Old April 24th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Passenger

Any comment on hairdryers? Read somewhere that converter needed to use own hair dryer so bought one. Have cruised quite a bit and this is the first ship I ever saw that required a coverter because no 110 for high watt items.

George in NY
Old April 29th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Beginner

Default Hairdryers

I was on the Spirit last week. I'd recommend just using the hairdryer in the bathroom. It's not the most powerful one, but it does the trick, even on hair as long as mine. And you'll save space in your suitcase by not bringing your own. I would recommend bringing a multi-outlet thing, as there is only one regular outlet in the room that is easily accessible.
It's a beautiful, clean ship that I wouldn't hesitate to cruise on again.
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:28 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Hairdryers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermudafan8
I was on the Spirit last week. I'd recommend just using the hairdryer in the bathroom. It's not the most powerful one, but it does the trick, even on hair as long as mine. And you'll save space in your suitcase by not bringing your own. I would recommend bringing a multi-outlet thing, as there is only one regular outlet in the room that is easily accessible.
It's a beautiful, clean ship that I wouldn't hesitate to cruise on again.
I appreciate the reply, However the bathroom hairdryer will not make my lovely bride happy. She MUST have her own, such is life. I purchased a converter travel kit from Brookstone that should do the trick no matter what they have. Believe me I would love to save the suitcase space, alas, not only don't get to save the space but take up more by now carrying converter.

George in NY