Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:30 PM
Beginner

Default alcohol question?

I am taking a cruise this weekend on the Spirit and it is my first time on a cruise. I was told by many people to bring on my own alcohol. How is this possible with xray?

Can anyone tell me the best way to sneak it on?

Is it true that the alcohol you buy from the duty free shops, they dont give to you until the cruise is over? Any info you have will be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Hi boytoy25,

NCL is one of the most strict lines regarding bringing alcohol aboard. You can try to pack it in your checked luggage, but if they see it on the scanners you'll have to go open your luggage and give it to them to hold until the end of the cruise.

On our cruise we were able to order a bar setup for our cabin, but I don't see that option on the NCL site now. (One of the worst cruise line sites IMO-no search feature .) The setup cost more than what we pay at home, but was much easier and we didn't have to "smuggle".

If you used a Travel Agent check with them about the bar setup, or call NCL directly.

Yes, anything you buy onboard (or at the ports) will be held for you until the end of the cruise.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

For NCL in cabin bar set up call 1.800.327.7030 and ask for In-Cabin Bar Setup. You will need your booking number, ship name and cabin number, plus a credit card.

NCL is the WORST cruise line for scanning baggage for smuggled liquor. If they suspect there is liquor in the bag they will hold it and contact you to come down and open the bag. If there is liquor in the bag they will hold it until the end of the cruise and return it to you. It's quite draconian but that's how they do it.

The in-cabin set up is the best way to go.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Beginner

Wow, i didnt know it was that bad!! haha.

What is the in cabin bar? I will call about it but how do they charge for the alcohol consumed? Do they bring a bunch of different things and charge you for what you use? How does it work.

Now what i am trying to get on is a bottle of jack daniels. What if i were to empty out a 2 liter soda bottle and dump in the jack daniels and reseal it? Does anyone think it would work?
Old May 4th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Passenger

If I was about to do that I would dump it into cola bottle and hold it while boarding so like i am drinking cola and walking...
Old May 4th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Beginner

haha. .. well the amount i want to bring is a 2 liter bottle so i cant really hold that when boarding.

My housemate said that when the boat ports in Florida for the first stop, i can buy it somewhere off the boat and then bring it back on with me.. Do they recheck your backpacks when you reboard?
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Hi again boytoy25,

Quote:
What is the in cabin bar? I will call about it but how do they charge for the alcohol consumed? Do they bring a bunch of different things and charge you for what you use? How does it work.
There is no cabin bar. If you call the number Mike gave you, you can order a bar setup. We ordered a bottle of Jim Beam and a bottle of Smirnoff Vodka. They're 375 ml. bottles. I think they were about $25.00 each.

Quote:
Now what i am trying to get on is a bottle of jack daniels. What if i were to empty out a 2 liter soda bottle and dump in the jack daniels and reseal it? Does anyone think it would work?
Probably not. If they see anything "liquid" in your checked luggage you'll have to do what Mike said:

Quote:
If they suspect there is liquor in the bag they will hold it and contact you to come down and open the bag. If there is liquor in the bag they will hold it until the end of the cruise and return it to you.
Quote:
Do they recheck your backpacks when you reboard?
Yes, when you come back onboard whatever you are carrying (backpack, shopping bags, etc.) goes through the scanner.

IMO, it is really easier just to call and order a bar setup and not fool with trying to "smuggle" liquor. Just consider it part of the price of your cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Captain

Believe me, if you can think of it, it's been tried before and the cruise line security guys are onto it. I've never had trouble getting a bottle of wine on board but I've reached a point in my life where I'm just not into the hassle of smuggling vodka in assorted containers (plus, if they leak your clothes are gonna smell like Jack for the rest of the cruise). And if you think drink prices are high, try getting all your clothes done by the onboard laundry!

Last time we were aboard we got a 375 ml. bottle of vodka and 3 cans of tonic for about $17.

Yes, if you buy alcohol off the ship they will seize it and deliver it to your room the final night of the cruise. Now you can get a small amount in a 20 oz coke, sprite, whatever bottle but it seems like a lot of trouble to me. Just my opinion.
Old May 6th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Beginner

thanks for your help everyone. I guess i will pass on trying to smuggle it on. Hopefully my credit card bill wont get too high!! haha