Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:26 PM
Passenger

Default Back from Crown loving it!!!

Ok, I am back from NCL Crown and ready to report!
As everyone said embarkation from Philly was a breeze. We travel in pack of 10 adults and 4 girls 11 to 17.
Rooms for all where with obstructed view on deck 8th. Room numbers 80041,44,48,52,54.
All rooms had enough of the sea to look at.
I picked deck 8th is also because it was higher level (I wanted higher deck) with affordable for all prices. We paid $2400 for 3. It was $1700 for two give or take...
These prices all inclusive except $10 per person per day tips ($5 per child).
Deck 8th is also on a middle of everything and trust me - 6th, 7th and 8th are decks to pick...this is were life was going on!

So we made few pictures of a Crown which is small but still a good looking ship...I will not say breathtaking but farely good ship. I was very worry about Crown inside and I was amazed how well they taking care of her. I haven't seen paint falling off the walls anywhere. Rooms were large - we had a tripple handicapped - I am telling you - it is way to go. We could dance in it and size of the restroom was ... huge!
Restroom had nice bath foam and shampoo (haven't used)in large dispencers. Shoe mitts and shower caps.

We had 2 separate beds and bunk. Nice pillows (I am picky about this). All crispy clean and overall very pleasant.
Our friends who's 25th Anniversary we celebrated had their room decorated with flowers ($35) and baloons, cake, ribbons ($35) which surprised them and made good first impression even better.

Crew was predominantly from Indonesia and Phillipins and we loved them! They were not in your face but there when we needed them.

We paid with MC so we got coupons 'buy 1 get 1 FREE dinner at specialty restaurant on first night'
So we made reservation at Le Bistro for Surf and Turf which included 2 lobster tales and filet mignon steak. It is normally $20 but we paid $10 with coupons. Can't beat that! It was delicious meal, I recommend it. Even for $20 it will worth it.

Next night we dined at Seven Seas and had huge lobster tale also.
In Seven Seas there was different menu every day with nice dishes to pick from.
If we wanted to get 2 main courses it was easy, just ask!

I must comment on Yaht Club Buffet - I read so many complaints about this place.
Yes, breakfast food was the same every day but to be fare - what anyone expecting from breakfast menu? You name it - they had it. Even omelet station where you just ask for whatever omelet you want! Croussants were outstanding! I had 'em with lox every morning (never before. Cold cuts, scrambled eggs, bacon and sausages, fruits and cheeses...if it wasn't exceptable - Seven Seas was serving breakfast as well...
But you had to dress up a little.
Yes, buffet is not a place for 'professional' eaters, so go on, order and be served!

I do not get some people, really!

So if you have any questions - I will answer them. It was a good cruise, relaxing and quiet. Ship saled at full capacity and we never had wait time, always could find a table or chair to sit and tan or talk. Waiters were not naggy ar pushy - asked questions once and then waited for us to call them when we were ready.

Dressing up to a dinner...whatever! I felt funny seing ladies dressed in sparkly gowns waiting in line to enter the restaurant. I feel if you dressed in glitter you better be coming out of the limo! But as i said there were no wait time like an hour - lines were moving quickly and because we tipped very well we asked for tomorrow table every time and were getting it no problem. We figured on a cruise tipping was worth it. Everyone knows you then and you get more smiles. It was nice.

However summary of my report will be 'so-so' for the reason that Bermuda is the place you want to inhale as much as you can and realizing that we were on a ship more then at Bermuda got us all to the same desicion. Next time we FLY to Bermuda and stay as long as we can. It is UNBELIAVABLE Island. Those waters are breathtaking and we were SO lucky to get rained on for 2 days but STILL being able to get to the beach every day (it was clearing up later).
It could be worse, we could be just stuck on the ship.
For everyone who LOOOOOOOOVES beaches - FLY to Bermuda. Do not take a cruise unless you love ship life more then beach life.
This Island is place I could die happy at!

We took 2 vans for 3 hour tour - $150 per van. They took us to a Crystal caves and around Bermuda...I wanted to cry from joy every time I saw new lagune. Instead I was madly taking pictures I am planning to download and to give you a link to.

And best news that they planning to move Philadelphia port to add more cruise lines from Philly. We had guys from CA!!! I was amazed! So...as you can see there is no complaints from me about a cruise at all, only regrets about not being able to get more Bermuda but it is not NCL's or anyone's fault.
So, bon voyage to all who is going.
Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:29 PM
Passenger

Yeah...finally a positive review of the Crown.

Just out of curiousity, approximately how much were the drinks?
And was it difficult getting a lounge chair by the pool?

Thanks... and glad you had a good time!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Back from Crown loving it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLoony
Seven Seas was serving breakfast as well...
But you had to dress up a little.
Yes, buffet is not a place for 'professional' eaters, so go on, order and be served!

I do not get some people, really!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLoony
Dressing up to a dinner...whatever! I felt funny seing ladies dressed in sparkly gowns waiting in line to enter the restaurant. I feel if you dressed in glitter you better be coming out of the limo!
Me too. I really don't get some people, really!

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:58 PM
Beginner

Did they have the Chocoholic Buffet aboard the Crown? If so, what day and time did they have it? Also, do they still serve the chilled soups?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:35 AM
Passenger

The Crown is somewhat similar to the Spirit, which is what i travelled on recently. Deck chairs are always a problem, but latley you can find them pretty easily. Alot of the poor reviews are from people just looking to have a crappy time.
Your on a beautiful boat, on vacation, cruising to a beautiful island... how can you be disapointed. You have to let the little things go.
Usually chocoholics buffet is at midnight.

-Bryan
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:15 AM
Passenger

I repeat - Crown sailed at full capacity BUT there were chairs and tables available at any time. We were not affraid to leave and return to standing position...lol
Chocoholic buffet was on the way back. I wasn't interested this is why I am not exactly remember what day but it existed.
Drinks are $5.25 per shot of vodka to $7.75 for fancy coctails.
But we smuggled evrything...every couple! Wrap into clothes and check in and enjoy! Also on the 20th we could get our liquor from duty-free at 3:00 pm so we could drink until midnight and wake up in the morning to disembark sober...
Old June 28th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Passenger

Old July 1st, 2006, 07:31 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Dancyalien

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I found it very informative. I have been very reluctant to go on the crown because it is an older ship and much smaller.

So many people trash NCL but so far I've had wonderful experiences with them. To tell you the truth, i enjoyed my trips on NCL far more than my trip on Carnival. But, one day I will give Carnival another shot.

Thank you again.....

Carnival Inspiration, Sept 2009
NCL Sky, June 2009
NCL Sky, Nov 2008
Disney Wonder, April 2008
NCL Spirit, Sept 2006
NCL Pride of Aloha, March 2006
NCL Dawn, June 2004
Carnival Sensation, July 1998
Old July 12th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Passenger

Default Third time on the Crown

We are sailing for the third time in September on the Crown. If we listened to some of the reveiws we would of never gone. The ship is older - no rock climbing or ice rinks but very good crew and ship. The Yacht Club buffet has so many choices. I heard one lady say it is the same thing every day. Well, if you order ham and eggs every day -- who's fault is that. We have an owners suite again and highly recommend it . Enjoy

[img]/countdown.php?month=09&year=2006&day=03&hour=16:00[/img]