Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2006, 01:43 PM
First Mate

Send a message via ICQ to Cynda
Default NCL Star-Mexican Riviera

Anyone taken this 8 day cruise recently and have pictures of the ship? Is it in good condition or showing wear and tear? Any information on the ports and kids club would also be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Admiral

NCL normally keeps their ships in good condition. We were on the Sun which is within a month the same age as the Star and she looked as new and shiney as the first time we cruised her, 4 years ago. One tiny little thing: I ran into a bar stool (no I wasn't drunk, it was early) and there was a piece of broken wood, I got a nice cut on my arm. I am sure they were not aware of the broken off piece, it was the back of the chair and up at the top. One little band aide and I knew I would live happily ever after. I mention this cause there are some who would blast the ship for things like this. Go and enjoy!!! Oh, there is one thing that drove both my daughter and I crazy the first time we cruised the Sun and this time as well: hopefully the Star will be different: cabin colors: green carpet blue and gold spreads, Blue carpet, green and gold spreads, why blue with blue and green with green? Beats us all to heck.....NMNita
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nita
One tiny little thing: I ran into a bar stool (no I wasn't drunk, it was early) and there was a piece of broken wood, I got a nice cut on my arm. I am sure they were not aware of the broken off piece, it was the back of the chair and up at the top. One little band aide and I knew I would live happily ever after.
What You didn't sue NCL

I didn't even notice the colors in the cabin! Sounds like they're left over from the 70's. How could that be since I know NCL Sun wasn't sailing that long ago!

We enjoyed our Sun cruise . Everything was in good condition except our cabin steward, who was just plain RUDE! That won't stop us from cruising NCL in the future if the price and itinerary are right.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 4th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Admiral

Fern, I thought about sueing but I couldn't find an lawyer on board. and if you beleive that I have some prime land here in NM to sell you. NO, it isn't my house!!!

Actually the colors were, yes, 70s but very notical, it is just the combinations that made us wonder. Maybe they got the decorator for just pennies on the dollar or maybe she/he had a little too much wine when the color conbinations were picked.
Old August 6th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to SushiSu

We are taking this cruise, also, on Oct 13th. Really looking forward to it. I had heard, tho, that you have to sign up for the "extra" restaurants when you first get on the boat...is that true?
Old August 6th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushiSu
We are taking this cruise, also, on Oct 13th. Really looking forward to it. I had heard, tho, that you have to sign up for the "extra" restaurants when you first get on the boat...is that true?
We could on the Sun and Jewel. On the Jewel we called the desk, on the Sun we went to the reception area where there was an area set up for this purpose. We booked for the entire week. NMNita
Old August 8th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Passenger

Another question that I have, regarding the alcohol, I read that you can have an "in room" bar set up in your cabin. I would much rather do this than try and sneak some on board. Can you tell me how to get this set up? Do I call my travel agent and have her do it or should I call Norwegian myself?
Thanks so much for all the help on these message boards. Alot of questions are answered thru cruisers that have travelled before and I have been taking notes on what to do and see in all the ports during our cruise.

Sue
Old August 8th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushiSu
Another question that I have, regarding the alcohol, I read that you can have an "in room" bar set up in your cabin. I would much rather do this than try and sneak some on board. Can you tell me how to get this set up? Do I call my travel agent and have her do it or should I call Norwegian myself?
Thanks so much for all the help on these message boards. Alot of questions are answered thru cruisers that have travelled before and I have been taking notes on what to do and see in all the ports during our cruise.

Sue
Sue, you should be able to do the bar set up without going through your agent even though most things do have to go through her/him. Here is the number to call: 866-625-1159. Hope this helps, it is better to do it this way. We used to think it was fun to see if we could smuggle the booze on, now it just isn't worth it, seems pretty stupid. The bar set up plan is relatively new: maybe a year or so old. Good luck,

NMNita
Old August 9th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Beginner

Hi Cynda.
We sailed the Mexican Riveria this past Feb on the STAR. We had a great time with no complaints. IMO the STAR is a beautiful ship, clean, shiny and sparkles. We were on her when they had to change the itinerary so we did not go to Ixtapa or Acupulco (spelling ) If you like shopping Cabo has many stores, restaurants and margarita shops within walking distance. We did the pirate ship adventure in PV and had a blast! My daughter is 21 and my son is 17 and they loved that excursion, they had entertainment for all ages!

We are a family of 4 and did not make reservations at any of the restaurants and had no problem being seated for dinner at 6:30 each night. I am in no way saying you wouldn't need reservations - we may have just gotten luck??!

I love NCL freestyle cruising - we are booked on the JEWEL this Nov.

I do have a few pictures but I have no idea how to attach them???

I hope some of this helps. Happy Sailing!!
Old August 9th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Beginner

I also wanted to add - The kids club seems great. Although we had no use for it, the kids seemed to be having a ball. they have their own swimming area, own buffet station and for the entire cruise I don't think I saw a complaining, whining child!! ~Val
Old August 9th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the number. I'll give them a call and get that all set up. Seems like one less thing to have to worry about. I read, on one of the boards, that if your cruise $$ goes down, you can ask your TA or call NCL themselves, and ask for on board credits. We paid our cruise, in full, in May, for the October 13 cruise. Any suggestions or thoughts on that?
Old August 9th, 2006, 09:18 PM
First Mate

Send a message via ICQ to Cynda

Thanks for all the replies gang

I am wondering too....how you know if your cruise rate goes down before you sail, and how you go about getting the better rate if you have already paid in full??
Old August 9th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Hi Cynda,

You can keep checking the NCL site for your cruise and watch the prices.

If you've already paid and it's after the final payment date there's not much you can do .

If you've paid and it's before the final payment date, you should be able to get the new price or some OBC (onboard credit).

Check with your TA about the "new" prices either way. It can't hurt to ask !

Sea Princess 2014
Old August 9th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Admiral

Fern took the words right out of my mouth. Sometimes even if it is only a month or so from sailing they will adjust the rate by giving an OBC, but dont' count on it. because you are 2 months out, either call your agent or NCL. An agent should be on top of this, but sometimes they do get busy. I try to check every week or so for my clients: sometimes I miss the reduced rates I am sure. NMnita
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nita
I try to check every week or so for my clients: sometimes I miss the reduced rates I am sure. NMnita
This is so true! A good TA will check prices at least weekly, but realistically they can't spend all their time checking the prices for already booked passengers! They just have too many other things to do.

That's why I check them myself and let my TA know. It only takes a few minutes to check for new prices and we've saved big $$$! For our next cruise prices went down twice and we were able to get a great price!

Sea Princess 2014