Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Passenger

Default ncl dawn worst ever

food was poor service was poor overall quality has gone down. lack of staff.
Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: ncl dawn worst ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by moynahan123
food was poor service was poor overall quality has gone down. lack of staff.
And when were you on the Dawn? A little more information would be helpful. comments like poor service, poor overall with no details isn't telling people what they need to know about the experience.
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Admiral

I'd like to know, too. While our first NCL cruise wasn't the best, our second one was great. If there's something we should be aware of on the Dawn, please give us specifics!

Thanks,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Familiar Face

Hi,

I was also on this cruise. I will post more details later. I was on the Dawn in the past, and my family and I were on the 5/5/07 one-night cruise. This was the worst night we have EVER had on a ship. None of the cruise staff was present at the sailaway party. THe lunch buffet had one station open at 3 pm with warm food and just about 4 or 5 choices... where was the variety like last time? Dinner... two hours... we couldn't even get desset because it was taking too long with Impressions only half full. We wanted to see the show. Let's skip to the Quest... one hour of sales pitches. 9 times, the cruise director, and his host (the man who had the show earlier that night) announced to buy a shot for $3.50 or 10 shots for $30. 9 times in one hour! Not only was the whole event a sales-pitch, but the cruise director and co-host had SIX or SEVEN shots ON STAGE. Yes, they got drunk while hosting a game show. I have never, ever seen something more unprofessional by a cruise director or professional on a ship. The one time he appears to host something, he gets drunk on stage! In the morning... worst breakfast buffet I have EVER seen. No lox, no omlette stations, no waffles, no toppings for pancakes or waffles... just watered-down eggs, overcooked hashbrowns, and fresh-fruit. The excuse - there was no time since they had to disembark the ship and they had to obey NY standards. Excuse me... but how come last time on disembarkation day IN NY... they had all of this. I can understand the omlette stations holding up lines... but the lox... the waffles... these are just simple sings of NCL cutting back. Wow... never thoughout I would have been embarassed to have broughout a first time cruiser on a cruise. I wasn't expecting a 7-night cruise... just a day and night comparable to 1 day and night in a 7 day cruise.
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Admiral

For us, hands down, we all agree in my group DAWN proved to be the best cruise we have taken so far. A ten day New Years Eve cruise.
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Admiral

I did get a private message from the OP, but I was hoping she would post here as well. some of her complaints were legit, some not the fault of anyone, just bad luc.k. apparently embarkation was a nightmare and the cabins were not ready til about 3:30pm, she went to the reception desk to check on her OBC and was told to call her TA, which she did. Yes, she did get it, but she thought there should be something in her cabin stating she had an OBC. I don't know where the OBC was coming from.

As for food, her big complaint was the buffet was awful. they kept serving the same thing or as she put it, would add one different kind of meat each day and just change the name of the dish. She did add that many times what was posted in the afternoon would be served for dinner changed at night. I have never heard of this, unless once or twice they ran out of something.

It poured down rain when they got to St Thomas so everyone that had disembarked had to turn around and get back on the ship: This caused total kiaus. (spelling) someone slipped on the wet deck, I think it was her, about this time I sorta backed off reading the details. Anyway no one except one crew member seemed to care. One crew member, a female in a floral shirt (I think they all wear floral shirts) was really rude.

At Debarkation they did have to wait in the bus for over an hour because someone in a wheel chair had not yet boarded the bus yet, don't know why the delay. Anyway, several people were afraid they would miss thier flights even though she did say they were among the first off the ship. Maybe there were those who forgot, we always suggest no one book a flight until after 12pm.

anyway, I think you get the picture. Again, hopefully she will come on and tell her stroy better than I can.

I will say, it doesn't sound like the worst experience in the world, quite the way she put it, but I am sure enough happened to make her cruise less than what she had hoped for. the only thing she didn't make clear and is not in her profile is how many times she has cruised and cruised NCL. She did mention being a lattitude member. NMNita
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt690
Hi,

I was also on this cruise. I will post more details later. I was on the Dawn in the past, and my family and I were on the 5/5/07 one-night cruise. This was the worst night we have EVER had on a ship. None of the cruise staff was present at the sailaway party. THe lunch buffet had one station open at 3 pm with warm food and just about 4 or 5 choices... where was the variety like last time? Dinner... two hours... we couldn't even get desset because it was taking too long with Impressions only half full. We wanted to see the show. Let's skip to the Quest... one hour of sales pitches. 9 times, the cruise director, and his host (the man who had the show earlier that night) announced to buy a shot for $3.50 or 10 shots for $30. 9 times in one hour! Not only was the whole event a sales-pitch, but the cruise director and co-host had SIX or SEVEN shots ON STAGE. Yes, they got drunk while hosting a game show. I have never, ever seen something more unprofessional by a cruise director or professional on a ship. The one time he appears to host something, he gets drunk on stage! In the morning... worst breakfast buffet I have EVER seen. No lox, no omlette stations, no waffles, no toppings for pancakes or waffles... just watered-down eggs, overcooked hashbrowns, and fresh-fruit. The excuse - there was no time since they had to disembark the ship and they had to obey NY standards. Excuse me... but how come last time on disembarkation day IN NY... they had all of this. I can understand the omlette stations holding up lines... but the lox... the waffles... these are just simple sings of NCL cutting back. Wow... never thoughout I would have been embarassed to have broughout a first time cruiser on a cruise. I wasn't expecting a 7-night cruise... just a day and night comparable to 1 day and night in a 7 day cruise.
I have read several other reviews about the 1 night cruise last weekend, they are running about 90% negative with similar complaints like you had. No one has mentioned the CD getting blasted, but they have complained about food and service. I will say, I do not think this is an example of NCL cutting back, but what to expect on a one night party ship that was being booked at a very low rate. I have done a 2 nighter before (not NLC that was similar,) I wouldn't consider a 1 night cruise after reading your review. Thanks for giving us the details and forewarning us. NMNita
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Admiral

I guess it is all about if you are a glass half full person or a glass half empty person. We are in my family glass half full people. Thats means when disembarkation turned into total and complete chaos, we just sat there on the floor and laughed at watching others behave like they needed to storm off the ship to escape drowning, while tied up in the pier in New York. It poured rain for us as well in St Thomas and for what ever reason it always does that when we are there..........so we got umbrella's and continued on our way. There were things we wanted to do. Getting off the ship in I think it was the private island, was also not efficiant, ( unlike six months earlier when it was) but again, we just laughed it off. None of these things are going to kill us and it is always rather amusing to watch people go on and on like they are near death. I have a relative that is like this.......I always tell him, Relax, take a chill pill, life is to short to get your knickers in such a twist.........needless to say we don't cruise or land trip with him any more. On DAWN, there was a very rude cashier, and unhelpful. I dont walk of angry, stewing inside. I find another one, and POLITELY, say " You know I was just treated with disrespect and in an unhelpful way by that other person and I still need help". You would be surprised at the results that yields........Bottom line is I have never been on a perfect cruise or land trip because there is no such thing as perfect. I have had complaints with NCL, on a cruise we took March 06, and I didnt back down, it was documented and on video....and we were compensated, and so it should be like that as there were a serious issues. However even then, it did not spoil my trip or my time. I have really really liked some cruises, and others that I think, it was nice but I wont pick it again, but never have I been on one that I say there was nothing good. Carnival was good, but they were for us not clean and the ship was not in great shape, a black push up bra greeted us in our cabin.....it sure was not mine, but that didnt mean my cruise was spoiled, but just that I was at the front desk saying "ah, you better try again with the clean up", and when the cleaning still never was done well, it was more than reflected in the tip for the cabin keeper. BUT it didnt "spoil" my cruise.........I am to busy being with loved ones and enjoying them.

I personally would not go on a one night cruise. For me this is to short, I cannot imagine that it would be all that nice, there is not enough time on board, and the cabins are not ready till afternoon, and the next day, you are getting off. I feel bad for those that went and it didnt go well, and they should ask for money back in terms of credit voucher.
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Passenger

Default Just a guess here

I'm just guessing hear, but I'm pretty sure your CD wasn't getting drunk on stage, for two pretty significant reasons.

1 - He's not allowed to. Just like driving a car, a cruise ship employee cannot have a b.a.c. over .08. In the event of an emergency, as CD he needs to proceed to the bridge to make vital announcments. If he was drunk, he WILL be fired, especially being in a positon of authority.

2 - Its a show! C'mon, do you really think he took 6 or 7 shots in an hour? It was obviously water or juice. I guarantee he sees himself as a serious performer and this is part of his schtick. I bet you think people are really drinking in movies too...

On another note, of course he was selling. Its his job! If it's not drink packages, it's specialty restaurants or shore excursions, or photos with the captain, or future cruises, or bingo, on and on and on.
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Just a guess here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzougypsy
I'm just guessing hear, but I'm pretty sure your CD wasn't getting drunk on stage, for two pretty significant reasons.

1 - He's not allowed to. Just like driving a car, a cruise ship employee cannot have a b.a.c. over .08. In the event of an emergency, as CD he needs to proceed to the bridge to make vital announcments. If he was drunk, he WILL be fired, especially being in a positon of authority.

2 - Its a show! C'mon, do you really think he took 6 or 7 shots in an hour? It was obviously water or juice. I guarantee he sees himself as a serious performer and this is part of his schtick. I bet you think people are really drinking in movies too...

On another note, of course he was selling. Its his job! If it's not drink packages, it's specialty restaurants or shore excursions, or photos with the captain, or future cruises, or bingo, on and on and on.
excellant points: I have no doubt the cruise wasn't all that great but I agree about the CD. I thought the same thing. It's like watching the Rtt Pack; they were really not drinking while performing. We all know they did plenty of it, but while on stage it was all a show. NMNita
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

I am confused was the CD on the Dawn or on the Quest? If it was the quest then it should be on a different board as it will give a negative view of the Dawn (which we just booked an hour ago for Aug 25th sailing).
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America