Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Default Lobster in main dining rooms

I have just heard a rumor that since the 1st of July there is no more Lobster being offered. anyone who has sailed since July 1st can you confirm or deny this?

thanks a bundh,

Nita
Old August 17th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Beginner

What??!!! Say it aint so! This will be my first cruise and that was one of the things I was looking forward to!!
Old August 17th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAmy
What??!!! Say it aint so! This will be my first cruise and that was one of the things I was looking forward to!!
Since I mentioned this I have heard back: it seems like, yes there is Lobster but it comes on a seafood plate. I have even seen pictures of it, much nicer than the olden days when you got 1 little tail. this is a tail plus scallops and other seafood favorites. I don't think we have to worry too much.

Enjoy your cruise,

nita
Old August 17th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Passenger

which ship were you on
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsy
which ship were you on
I wasn't, not since the chages but it has been posted on two other boards complete with pictures of the emtree meal. I will be on the Star next month, will report back.
Nita
Old August 18th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Admiral

On the grand Old lady, they used to serve whole lobsters. It was all that you can eat. There were contests all around on who could eat the most.

Well, that is gone and so is she.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old August 18th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
On the grand Old lady, they used to serve whole lobsters. It was all that you can eat. There were contests all around on who could eat the most.

Well, that is gone and so is she.

I sometimes wish those days were back and yet, there are lots of positive things about today's was of cruising.

We never got to sail the Norway. 4 years ago we booked her for our granddaughters 21st birthday celebration, suties and all as the price was so cheap. We really wanted her and her younger sister to see what cruising was like 20,30 or more years ago. Much to ours and millions of others disappointment the accident happened and we never got to even step into her reception area.

Certainly among the many changes in cruising is the quality of food. I don't care what line you choose. this isn't to say the food isn't good, it is quite good, just not gourmet anymore. It used to be eating and nightly dancing plus formal nights were what cruising was all about. Those days are gone forever.

Nita
Old August 18th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Quote:
which ship were you on
I wasn't, not since the chages but it has been posted on two other boards complete with pictures of the emtree meal. I will be on the Star next month, will report back.
Nita
Why not just post the picture here

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old August 18th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Quote:
which ship were you on
Nita
Why not just post the picture here

Because I am too stupid to figure out how to do that.

Nita
Old August 18th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Thanks Shoregur for the pic.

Going on the Pearl in Oct and hope they have that on the 5 nighter!

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old August 20th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Linda6
Default lobster

Just got off the Spirit in July. There was a night with lobster in the main dining room. My husband had it. It was "rock" lobster which isn't the good kind from Maine. He loves lobster and has eaten it in restaurants many times BUT on the ship, he hardly could finish his and said it was the worst,chewiest lobster he has ever had. Not worth it at all.
Old August 20th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda6
Just got off the Spirit in July. There was a night with lobster in the main dining room. My husband had it. It was "rock" lobster which isn't the good kind from Maine. He loves lobster and has eaten it in restaurants many times BUT on the ship, he hardly could finish his and said it was the worst,chewiest lobster he has ever had. Not worth it at all.
While many people enjoy lobster, and most ships on most lines serve it, what Linda said is true for almost all standard and premium lines. Fresh, Maine lobster is rarely seen and what is served is frozen and IMO not too great. There are a lot of wonderful entrées to be found on cruise ships but lobster isn't one of them.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 20th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda6
While many people enjoy lobster, and most ships on most lines serve it, what Linda said is true for almost all standard and premium lines. Fresh, Maine lobster is rarely seen and what is served is frozen and IMO not too great. There are a lot of wonderful entrées to be found on cruise ships but lobster isn't one of them.

Take care,
Mike
I agree, it is just so traditional, that is why everyone gets upset at the thought of not having it. Of course Main Lobster in 1000 times better but rock is better than none. Well maybe not. I do like it, have only had it once when it was really bad. That was on the Zenith: 8 of us at the table, who got the mushy lobster? Yours truely. I actually couldn't eat it. Other times, (most of the time) it is ok, a little tasteless and sometimes chewy. A lot depends on how often you have really had Lobster from New England I think.
Old August 25th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Passenger

We just got back from the Dawn today.

They had Caribbean Rock Lobster in Venetian and in Agua (main dining rooms) on the first sea night, Captain's night. This is also the night that Beef Wellington is served.

We are from MA and this is not the type of lobster that we are used to but it was excellent.

Also, at Teppanaki, we had seafood Diablo which was lobster tail, shrimp, scallops, and calamari. It was excellent. Totally beyond my expectations.
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Beginner

I sailed on the Sun Aug 12 and had succulent lobster in the main dinning room. I think it was Monday sea day. Usually the sea days are the formal days and they have the better menu. But all the days were very good.