Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 15th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to skygrabber
Default NCL PEARL OR JEWEL..WHICH ONE DO I SAIL ON

JUST LOOKING FOR OPINIONS ON THESE SHIPS AS I'M LOOKING TO GO ON ONE OF THEM IN LATE MARCH OR EARLY APRIL.I'VE CRUISED ON MANY SHIPS AND THIS WILL BE MY 11TH CRUISE.. TELL ME YOUR THOUGHTS,LIKES AND ANY DISLIKES ON THESE SHIPS.I WILL BE CRUISING SINGLE MOST LIKELY. I APPRCIATE IT. THANKS SO MUCH AND HAPPY CRUISING...PETE
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Passenger

not sure about the Pearl, but we just came back from the Jewel and it was awesome! Loved the pool areas and pretty much everything on the ship. I think they should be very similar in amenities. BTW, the coffee stations ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! especially loved the Lattes and the Esspresso's-also, they do not c harge extra for these and most cruise lines would...very state of the art!
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Beginner

I have been on both, but the Pearl is newer and has a rock climbing wall and bowling alley, unlike the Jewel.
Old February 19th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Admiral

We cruised the Pearl last Feb to the Carribean.
The balcony cabins are just gorgeous as is the rest of the ship.
The piano bar has two very good entertainers, Peter James and Clarolyn (yes, 2 'L's') Maier.
There is also a huge WII where you can play or just watch others for hours...very fun.
Plus, all the other standard cruise stuff.

Do not waste your money on the specialty restaurant named Cagney's...the portions are insultingly small.
Old February 20th, 2008, 05:27 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to gfleo

Was on the Pearl last November, and was FANTASTIC. Fellow cruisemate Jennifer was on the Jewel November and she told me that she had the time of her life, so I think both will be fine, but like linnealee said the Pearl has a bowling alley and a rock climbing wall and is newer too.
Caribbean Princess
C. Destiny
N.Pearl Nov
C.Valor Sept 2008
Ruby Princess
C.Splendor
Indy
Liberty 2009
Carnival Liberty
Eurodam
Radiance
Mariner
C. Freedom
C. Triumph
Navigator (TA)
C.Dream
Solstice '10
Costa Fortuna
Summit
Norwegian Dawn
C.Glory Sept '11
Brilliance '12
Mariner (TA)
Liberty OTS
C.Breeze '13
C.Conquest
Serenade TA
C.Sunshine '14
Indy
Vision

Oasis TA
Old February 20th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Admiral

We have been on GEM, the newest sister to pearl and jewel, either ship I think will be wonderful.

I agree about the specialty places to eat. We were given a night at Cagneys, and I really cannot say I found the food any better than main dinning rooms and certainly the service was not quicker or better. It was a nice evening, and I accept the gift with gratitude and appreciation , however I would never pay for it myself. We were six for the dinner and all felt the same way.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 07:56 PM
Passenger

I had the King Cut Prime Rib at Cagneys and it was HUGE (14 Oz). I guess small is relative
Old February 22nd, 2008, 09:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbd1
I had the King Cut Prime Rib at Cagneys and it was HUGE (14 Oz). I guess small is relative
I had the surf and turf.
The prime rib was the size of a Hostess Ding Dong...only 1/2 as thick. The lobster meat was the size of my baby finger. I regretted not ordering the King Cut as soon as my plate hit the table.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:25 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbd1
I had the surf and turf.
The prime rib was the size of a Hostess Ding Dong...only 1/2 as thick. The lobster meat was the size of my baby finger. I regretted not ordering the King Cut as soon as my plate hit the table.
The one that I saw on someone elses plate sure seemed larger than that. I ordered the T-Bone and didn't like it. I was offered another entree. Did you tell the waiter than you didn't think you were given an adult sized dinner?