Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2008, 08:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default NCL Cancels entertainment programs

It is my understanding that NCL has cancelled many onboard entertainment programs for domestic travel including Bridge Directors, Arts & Crafts, Special Interest Lectures, Dance Instructors and Dance Hosts. This comes from their Sales & Marketing Division.

Anybody know the reason for these changes?
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2008, 08:56 AM
Admiral

Maybe they are going to use all the money they will be saving to pay for the lobster that they will start serving again with Freestyle 2.0...

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:46 PM
Admiral

On another board one of the dance instructors mentioned this, but not quite the way you understand it. The letter he got from NCL simply referred to activities and instructions not yet scheduled may be re-scheduled, meaning if a contract is not yet signed for upcoming cruises times, frequetcy etc may be different from originally thought. It does appear this may have something to do with the implementation of 2.0. They will be adding lecturers, more classes etc and need to work times into the schedules.

Nita
Old February 23rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
Beginner

When is 2.0 supposed to be implemented? We are leaving on March 15 and am wondering if it will be a go by then
Old February 23rd, 2008, 10:06 PM
First Mate

This will be interesting as Apollo made a $51 millon dollar investment which was supposed to go to food improvement asap.Rest assure they need it compared to the other cruise lines.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkking
When is 2.0 supposed to be implemented? We are leaving on March 15 and am wondering if it will be a go by then
some have indicated it has started on many of the ships, but will not totally be complete until mid summer. AS agents we wait for our clients to report back. I have several cruising in March, some on the sun, some the Dream and some on the Pearl.

Nita
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

we leave on the Spirit on May 17th...hopefully it will be implemented by then
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old February 24th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Beginner

We are going on the NCL Star. Am a little concerned by all the negative reports I have heard. This is our 1st time with NCL and 5th cruise.
Old February 24th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Passenger

I have sailed with NCL 4 times and have no real issues. Just returned from the Star and had a wonderful time with great service and good food.

I have not heard of freestyle 2.0. Can some one explain that concept.

Thanks,

Ray
Old February 24th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkking
We are going on the NCL Star. Am a little concerned by all the negative reports I have heard. This is our 1st time with NCL and 5th cruise.
what negative reports? All lines get negatives now and then as well as positives. If there were serious problems 60% or more of those on almost every sailing wouldnt' be repeat customers. If you are referring to what the OP is posting it could be totally groundles. Remember when we were kids and we played the game, "gossip" we would wisper something in someones ear and they would repeat it to the next person. It would eventually get back to the originator and be totally different. I don't know where the OP got this information nor does anyone know what it is all about.

Nita
Old March 9th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

My original post is NOT groundless.
You will hear more about this as reports come back from cruisers on these forums.

Destination lectures will still exist and Dance classes will come from Staff onboard the ship (Dancers from the shows will teach classes). There will be no Bridge Instruction, thus, no Masters Points attainable on Domestic Norwegian cruises.

Hopefully, NCL will see the error of their ways and reinstitute these Enrichment activities.
Old March 10th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzzz1000
My original post is NOT groundless.
You will hear more about this as reports come back from cruisers on these forums.

Destination lectures will still exist and Dance classes will come from Staff onboard the ship (Dancers from the shows will teach classes). There will be no Bridge Instruction, thus, no Masters Points attainable on Domestic Norwegian cruises.

Hopefully, NCL will see the error of their ways and reinstitute these Enrichment activities.
Tell me where is there a problem? Lectures will still exist, and there will be dance lessons. I am not sure most care who teaches the dance classes and as for Bridge? Many of the shorter itineraries do not have bridge lessons or directors now. I am an avid bridge player and know this to be true. Most people on 7 or 10 day cruises are not terribly interested in playing bridge or certainly not for master points. In fact the younger set today and I am referring to the middle agers don't play Bridge. As much as some of us love the game, like many things it is dieing. The good news, apparently, in certain parts of America it is making a slow recovery so maybe it will survive.

It sounds to me like you might be a discrunted (spelling) dance instructor or something and about to not be part of the future NCL trend.

Nita
Old March 10th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Captain

a disgruntled dance instructor just sounds funny. have u ever seen someone dancing who is in a bad mood?
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old March 10th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Admiral

Sounds to me like this person enjoyed the enrichment lectures and activities and is upset because there will be no Bridge Instruction and no Masters Points attainable. Seems pretty clear cut.

Nita I think your assumption is quite a stretch and if I were cruzzz1000 I'd be a bit insulted by your accusation:
"It sounds to me like you might be a discrunted (spelling) dance instructor or something and about to not be part of the future NCL trend."

Read their previous posts which date back to October 2005, it is obvious their feelings are sincere and not some "mad dancer". You really do take any sort of criticizm of your beloved NCL very personally and it is not necessary to strike back in this way when other people do not feel the same way about NCL as you do. It isn't going to change anyone's mind one way or the other. NCL has some great points, but they also have shortcomings, people deserve to be able to share both positive and negative without automatically being tagged as having some covert agenda.
Old March 10th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
Sounds to me like this person enjoyed the enrichment lectures and activities and is upset because there will be no Bridge Instruction and no Masters Points attainable. Seems pretty clear cut.

Nita I think your assumption is quite a stretch and if I were cruzzz1000 I'd be a bit insulted by your accusation:
"It sounds to me like you might be a discrunted (spelling) dance instructor or something and about to not be part of the future NCL trend."

Read their previous posts which date back to October 2005, it is obvious their feelings are sincere and not some "mad dancer". You really do take any sort of criticizm of your beloved NCL very personally and it is not necessary to strike back in this way when other people do not feel the same way about NCL as you do. It isn't going to change anyone's mind one way or the other. NCL has some great points, but they also have shortcomings, people deserve to be able to share both positive and negative without automatically being tagged as having some covert agenda.
you could be right, I said what I did because there was a person on 2 other threads complaining about the dance part. He was someone who was not going to have his contract re-newed. As for the Bridge, believe me if you were a Bridge player you would know where I am coming from. very few 7 day cruises have much to offer in the way of Bridge anymore. Times do change. My take on all this: NCL like any other company looks at the bottom line, they are not going to pay people for activities that are not popular or in the case of the dance classes, it makes sense to use the dancers. We have been on several cruises where this has been the case.

Nita
Old March 11th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Nmnita,

I wonder if you are familiar with the money that Bill Gates (Microsoft) and Warren Buffet (Berkshire) are donating to the good cause of Bridge. They are teaching youngsters ( as young as 8 year-olds up to teenagers) how to play bridge?

I like dancing (ballroom) and I have been to several lessons taught by the staff. Although they can teach very effectively how the Men should dance and, likewise, how the women should dance, they are not really qualified to teach a couple how to dance together very effectively.

Many of the seniors like to have something creative to do during their days at sea and Arts & Crafts will fill part of the day, let them use their hands and feel productive.

I, personally, like to play bridge and I enjoy duplicate during longer cruises (only time I ever play duplicate. I also display a card on every shorter cruise asking for bridge couples so I can organize my own personal games during that particular cruise.

Why do One Week cruises have multiple bands playing throughout the ship? Playing Cha Cha's and Waltz's are not JUST for listening...........they are for dancing.

Why does the Band play at the Captains Party?

Why did they have lectures? To introduce things to learn that you would not normally get at home.

Why not stay home, order food (rather than cook), rent a movie, listen to the radio, call your firends to come play bridge, watch the Discovery channel, walk around the neighborhood and go to the pool and hot tub in the community center, order a keg of beer and sleep in your lawn chair. NO NEED FOR A CRUISE.

I guess we all have our own opinions. Thanks for sharing yours.
Old March 11th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzzz1000
Nmnita,

I wonder if you are familiar with the money that Bill Gates (Microsoft) and Warren Buffet (Berkshire) are donating to the good cause of Bridge. They are teaching youngsters ( as young as 8 year-olds up to teenagers) how to play bridge?

I like dancing (ballroom) and I have been to several lessons taught by the staff. Although they can teach very effectively how the Men should dance and, likewise, how the women should dance, they are not really qualified to teach a couple how to dance together very effectively.

Many of the seniors like to have something creative to do during their days at sea and Arts & Crafts will fill part of the day, let them use their hands and feel productive.

I, personally, like to play bridge and I enjoy duplicate during longer cruises (only time I ever play duplicate. I also display a card on every shorter cruise asking for bridge couples so I can organize my own personal games during that particular cruise.

Why do One Week cruises have multiple bands playing throughout the ship? Playing Cha Cha's and Waltz's are not JUST for listening...........they are for dancing.

Why does the Band play at the Captains Party?

Why did they have lectures? To introduce things to learn that you would not normally get at home.

Why not stay home, order food (rather than cook), rent a movie, listen to the radio, call your firends to come play bridge, watch the Discovery channel, walk around the neighborhood and go to the pool and hot tub in the community center, order a keg of beer and sleep in your lawn chair. NO NEED FOR A CRUISE.

I guess we all have our own opinions. Thanks for sharing yours.
I understand what you are saying, I am a senior and I love Bridge, in fact I am on my way to one of my many weekly bridge games right now but my point is two fold: the cruise lines will go along with what the public wants and the average cruiser is getting younger every day. What you and I may enjoy and what someone in their 40s enjoys are totally different. What about freestyle dining? It is the old time cruisers that don't want to see it disappear but it is happening.

Your posts refer to programs that are being cut, but most do not exist or exist very little on 1 week cruises, Arts and Crafts which I know are only attended by about 5 to 10 people as a rule, brigde, again something that does not happen often on a 7 night cruise and lectures on shorter cruises, again, other than places like Alaska no longer do cruise lines have lecture programs.

My understanding is, with the introduction of 2.0 new programs with be implemented.

We may not like what we are seeing, but life does change and we have to change with it.

Nita
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Nita,

We have been on several cruises of varying lengths and different cruiselines.

We have seen the results of Bridge attendance, Arts & Crafts, Dance classes, Special Interest lectures and Dance Hosts. Most of it had good participation. I know a lady (after being on the same cruise with her a couple of times just by chance) and she reports as many as 80 people at her enrichment programs.

Similarly, on a 12 day Mediterranean cruise, the Cruise Director and assistant (after seeing us dance) asked me if I would dance with some of the single Ladies because they were angry that there were NO Dance Hosts onboard. So I did, as did many of the staff. he was appreciative and invited my wife and I to come to the Crown and Anchor Society Party. I also danced with single ladies there as well.

Bridge Lectures and Duplicate play outnumbered the number of tables so they improvised and brought over anything that would act as a table and we would play cards on that surface.

On the down side, we have also been to a lecture that was truly awful and boring and I think the lady was scared to talk in front of people. Likewise, some dance classes were extremely unorganized.

We will be on a cruise this summer with friends. The wife is in a wheelchair and she will want to do something during the days at sea. There is a limit as to what she can do. Thus, Arts and Crafts might be appealing to her. She also plays bridge with her husband so we will play a lot of bridge during free time.

My point in all of this is simply that there is a big world with many different sorts of people and interests and not all of them want to just sit by the pool and drink alcohol.

I personally could care less about Lobster. In fact, I have only ordered lobster on my very first cruise. After that, it was anything but lobster.
I would rather have various forms of entertainment. But that is what floats my boat. I participate in almost everything the ship has to offer. Except I still need to climb the Rock Climbing Wall. I'm in shape for it, just haven't taken the time to do it.
Old March 13th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Cruzzz,
I read your comments (as well as nmnita's) with great interest for two reasons. 1) As I read the details of Freestyle 2.0, my understanding was that "Personal Enrichment" activities were part of the program and that we could expect to see an increase in the number of these programs.
2) My wife and I are Ballroom Dance enthusiasts and instructors (locally, not on any ships) and we always attend lessons when offered onboard to see what they are like.

We have seen quite a variance in the level of dance being taught on board. Some of the teachers have been professionals who are very proficient and at the other end of the spectrum there were members of the Cruise Directors Staff (usually young girls) who have been very rudimentary in their instruction. On the last two cruises that we have been on with NCL, there have been two sessions offered on each cruise, each session being 45 minutes (not even a full hour), and the sessions were taught by professional dancers (albeit not professional teachers) from the Jean Ann Ryan dance company. The good and bad points of this arrangement are that the two "instructors" are very good dancers but not necessarily great teachers. In both cases, they seemed to be very curt in their instruction and were frankly trying to get the class over so that they could go back to what ever they had planned for the afternoon. The sad part about this is that in all of the classes that we attended, the room was packed with many enthusiastic people who were there to learn how to dance. It always seemed like they came in with great expectations and left with just enough instruction to get them confused.

As I said, my wife and I teach Ballroom Dancing locally and I know how difficult it can be to pick up dance instruction in a short time. We normally start people off with a full hour lesson followed directly with a half hour of practice. I think that 45 minutes is not enough time to teach any basic lesson. By the way, on the last cruise, in one of the 45-minute lessons the instructors actually taught two dances, Samba and Swing in the same class.

After every cruise, I always make a comment on the cards that more attention to Ballroom Dancing should be made by the staff and NCL. There is a lot of attention being made to Ballroom dancing now since the inception of TV programs like "Dancing with The Stars", etc. We see a large number of people coming to our dance instructions since this seems to be a trend that people are interested in. We always thought of cruises as being a place where Ballroom Dancing would be encouraged and well attended. That has not been our experience on NCL.

For those of you that regularly cruise on other lines: What has your experience been with regard to Ballroom Dancing in general and with respect to lessons offered on board?

-jim
Old March 13th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Captain

not fot nothing but what are "master points" for bridge.
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old March 13th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Jim,

You are exactly right in your assessment of the Dancing venue on the cruise ships.

As a professional instructor you know that the best you could possibly do with a FULL HOUR of instruction to a group of 50 newcommers is to give them enough in a basic step, a woman's under arm turn and maybe one more simple step which would get them through an entire 2 minute song with some confidence (assuming the Man remembers all of it).

The idea (in my mind) of the enrichment programs is to offer activities that you might never try on your own at home. But because it is free, you might try it once.

Royal Caribbean seems to teach there own dances by the staff of a select few dances. I have seen Cha Cha, Swing and Salsa. The staff, after teaching it, just starts to dance and expects you to jump in at any time. They do not let you know they are about to begin. Such as 5, 6, 7, 8.......

We have been to many dance classes onboard, much like you, just to see what they teach and how effective they are. We know 14 different dances, mostly at the Silver and Gold level so we feel qualified to evaluate.

The Dancing with the Stars has increased attendance at the dance studios we attend. It has also prompted much discussion and speculation as to the success of the "Stars" during each season. Thus, I would think the Cruiselines would be Pro-active in their incouragement of Dancing.

Now you know why I mentioned the subject and you can understand why the Cruise Director asked me to help dance with the single ladies. It was my honor to do so.

As to the question of MASTER'S POINTS in bridge: Bridge is a challenging game to learn but a LOT of fun. People will always strive to be better (much like golf or any game). Thus, one needs a way to keep score of your success. Working towards, and achieving Masters Points is a way to do that. People travel all over the World to get these Masters points and Cruise Ships are a good way to collect them.

I do not work towards Masters points but I do work towards the Gold Metals in all of my dances. Same idea..........a way to keep score.
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Cruzzz,
Yes, I think we are on the same page as far as the dance lessons go. It is a shame that the cruise lines do not take advantage of the demand from their guests to learn more basic steps in Ballroom while onboard their ships.

We sailed on the Norway in 1999 and they had a professional couple from Florida who taught Ballroom. They were excellent. The difference between them and the other instructors that we have encountered is that they had lessons every day regardless of whether we were at a port or not. They also attended every music session during the mid-day High Tea as well as the hour of music by the Show Band prior to the Gala Shows after dinner. The instructors would make sure that the dance that was taught that day was well represented in the music that the show band played that night so that the participants in the dance class could get practice in the steps that they had learned earlier that day.

Additionally, the male instructor acted as a Dance Host, like you, helping the ladies at all of the dance venues.

Now I have looked into the possiblity of being a dance instructor aboard a Cruise Ship and for the most part, they only require that you teach two lessons during the week. In return, you either get a free cruise or a nominal stipend for your work. The couple that I described above did over and above this during our cruise on the Norway.

I do feel that the Cruise lines are getting away from what used to be a staple of the cruising experience. On our cruise two weeks ago, we found that we were one of a handful of passengers who danced ballroom style. We felt really appreciated by the various bands and performers on the ship since it seems that they really like to have people get up and dance when they are playing. It is almost like a barometer of how well they are doing their job and how much the passengers are enjoying themselves at that venue.

We can't decide whether we would like to become dance instructors on cruises. First, we are not sure that some of the lines (NCL for example) want to use anyone but their current staff to teach if it is only two 45-minute lessons a week. Secondly, we don't think that they really see the potential even though every dance class that we have ever watched onboard has been over-flowing with participants. Finally, if we do apply and are accepted, we would be expected to book as many cruises as possible during the year (after a trial period) and we just can't commit to that at this time.

Thanks for your comments, it is good to hear that there are other serious ballroom dancers out there. Hope to see you on a future cruise.

-jim
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Jim,

It looks as though Celebrity is on a different page then NCL.
Check this out:

Sky Observation Lounge
The new signature lounge atop Celebrity Solstice will invite guests to participate in multiple styles of dance, with the entire venue transforming to reflect each nightly theme. From wild red for tango nights to midnight blue for ballroom dance, guests will have the opportunity to participate in lessons during the day, in preparation for dancing the night away.
Old March 14th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Wow, I had a feeling that at least one of the other lines must be catering to dancers. This confirms it. Either we will have to switch our alligience from NCL or start taking more cruises all together.

It is amazing how the description of the plan for dancing on Celebrity is almost the same as I had described the lessons that we had on the Norway.

-Jim
Old March 15th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default DANCING WITH THE STARS

Just a reminder to everyone, whether you like to dance or not, that the next season's Dancing with the Stars will begin this Monday.

It should prove to be very competitive (as most are anyway) and very enjoyable with Entertainers, Olympic metalists, Comedians and the like all participating. Marlee Matlin will show all of us that being handicapped is not a deterrent to dancing. Much like Heather Mills proved in her season with Tony Dovolani as she danced with an artificial leg.

Without knowing she had an artificial leg I doubt anyone could even tell which leg was real and which was removeable!

I called in only ONE TIME in 5 seasons to vote and it was for Heather the night she fell down. I wanted her to remain in the show because I thought she did a fantastic performance and I enjoyed watching her dance.

If you haven't ever watched this series you owe it to yourself to tune in.

WARNING: It might become an addiction in your life.............ENJOY
Old March 15th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default DANCING WITH THE STARS