Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 12th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Captain

Default Woman overboard on the Dawn

Fox News just reported that NCL has confirmed that a woman went overboard on the Dawn last night.

The Coast Guard took charge of the ship during the search but the ship has now been released.

No further details.
Old May 12th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Woman overboard on the Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom
Fox News just reported that NCL has confirmed that a woman went overboard on the Dawn last night.

The Coast Guard took charge of the ship during the search but the ship has now been released.

No further details.
lots of threads about this on the "other" board but still few confirmed details. No one seems to know how it happened, lots of speculation. regrardless this is so sad.

Nita
Old May 12th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

we live in northern nj and the storms were bad. they were only a few hours into the cruise. the local tv news has had a ton of stories but no definitive info
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I know, rumors say she was trying to climb from one balcony to another. I guess it isn't polite to speculate about how possibly logic-challenged a person might be when we don't know her.
Old May 13th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to SakeDad
Default News Story

Reading this newstory it sounds like she may NOT have been on the balcony, but rather on the side decks somewhere.....still very fishy!

Pine Hill woman missing at sea; inquiry under way

CourierPOstOnline.com • May 12, 2008
By JIM WALSH
Courier-Post Staff

The Coast Guard on Monday suspended an ocean search for a Pine Hill woman missing from a cruise ship, but the victim's family said they're still looking for answers about their loved one's disappearance.

Mindy Jordan, 46, fell overboard from the Norwegian Dawn about 7:50 p.m. Sunday, when the cruise ship was about 45 miles northeast of Atlantic City, according to the Coast Guard.

But Jordan's relatives want an investigation into the incident, her sister, Julie August of Mount Laurel, said Monday.

"My sister is a professional. She's a nurse and a mother," said August. "This is not somebody who's going to be jumping up on a rail."

Relatives learned of Jordan's disappearance from her boyfriend and traveling companion, Jorge Caputo of Pine Hill, August said.

"He said she was clowning around and she fell over," said August. "Who knows? We weren't there."

But, she contended, "It's just not adding up."

A Coast Guard spokesman said a "marine casualty investigation" will look into the cruise ship's operation during the incident.

"From what I understand, the FBI's also involved in this particular case," said the spokesman, Petty Officer Christopher Evanson. "They are separate investigations."

An FBI representative could not be reached for comment late Monday.

Caputo also could not be reached as the cruise ship, which left New York at 4 p.m. Sunday, continued en route to Bermuda.

The Coast Guard, which was told of Jordan's disappearance at 8:21 p.m. Sunday, conducted a helicopter search over about 60 square miles until shortly after 3 a.m. Monday.

Norwegian Dawn crew members also threw life rings into the ocean and deployed a small boat to look for Jordan.

The Coast Guard search, which was suspended due to bad weather, would be resumed only if more is learned about Jordan's location, Evanson said.

Family members expect the worst.

"It's been such a long time," said August, who said Jordan is the mother of two teen-age children.

"My mother had talked to her (by phone) while she was on her way to the ship, and she sounded fine," added August. "She was happy to be going."

She described Jordan, a licensed practical nurse who provided home health care, as "loving and warm-hearted."

"She generally took care of children who were dying or on life support," said August. "That tells you the kind of person she was."
NCL Star Repo Aft Cabin 10730 4/24/08
Holland America Noordam Suite SA7086 - Alaska 5/20/07
Monarch of the Seas April '06 JS1580 Ensenada
Victoria Empress Cabin 235, Yangtze River China, 10/05
Windjammer Barefoot, Grenadines (Gay Group)Admirals Cabin, Mandalay 8/02
See my Cruise Photos at www.sakedad.smugmug.com
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Admiral

I caught just a bit of this item on Nancy Grace tonight.
Didn't see very much of it at all but of course there were the usual
" experts " giving their " expert " opinions and advice on something they know nothing about.
To sum it up, NCL just may as well get the check book and start writing,
then let the relatives sue each other over who gets the most.
Sounds harsh but that's basically what it's going to come down to in the end so get it over with .
Sooner or later the cruiselines will have to enclose the ships in netting or something similar to keep the drunks, nuts, etc from going over the side.
Imagine sitting on you balcony trying to peer through the netting that encloses the ship.
In over 30 cruise, my arse has never come close to going over the side because I keep my feet on the deck. It's so simple.
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
I caught just a bit of this item on Nancy Grace tonight.
Didn't see very much of it at all but of course there were the usual
" experts " giving their " expert " opinions and advice on something they know nothing about.
To sum it up, NCL just may as well get the check book and start writing,
then let the relatives sue each other over who gets the most.
Sounds harsh but that's basically what it's going to come down to in the end so get it over with .
Sooner or later the cruiselines will have to enclose the ships in netting or something similar to keep the drunks, nuts, etc from going over the side.
Imagine sitting on you balcony trying to peer through the netting that encloses the ship.
In over 30 cruise, my arse has never come close to going over the side because I keep my feet on the deck. It's so simple.
I agree about the netting or something, this is happening more all the time: as for the check books, let's wait and see what the FBI comes up with> I really can't imagine how NCL could be at fault this time. Of course you are right about who will sue who.....
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Beginner

NY Post reported that she was around 5 feet tall and couldn't have possibly fell off the balcony unless she was pushed. She was on the cruise with her ex boyfriend who recently got back together. Prior they had a stormy relationship. Her family believes she was pushed. Those balcony railings are high and she would have had to climb on top of it to fall off. Her "boyfriend" stated she fell from balcony onto lower deck, he ran down to save her then she slipped from his grip. Sounds very unbelievable. This was a pediatric nurse.
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwellshere
NY Post reported that she was around 5 feet tall and couldn't have possibly fell off the balcony unless she was pushed. She was on the cruise with her ex boyfriend who recently got back together. Prior they had a stormy relationship. Her family believes she was pushed. Those balcony railings are high and she would have had to climb on top of it to fall off. Her "boyfriend" stated she fell from balcony onto lower deck, he ran down to save her then she slipped from his grip. Sounds very unbelievable. This was a pediatric nurse.
Makes you wonder if he is a romance mystery writer huh? What a story!!!!

Nita
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Captain

Maybe instead of netting they could use nice decorative bars, or maybe they could be designed from clear plastic so as to decrease the obstruction of the view.

OR

Life vests would be required when lounging on the balcony. The would be equipped with a sensor which would alert security if a person enters the balcony without appropriate protection.

OR

The balconies could be equipped with a bungy cord which would be attached to your ankle. This approach might promote recreational bungy jumping, but then, that might be an add-on for which the cruise lines could charge a premium.

OR

All passengers would be required to wear a non-removable wrist band implanted with a gps locator chip in the event some fool falls overboard they could be found quickly.

Sorry for the silliness, but you can not protect people from themselves and evil people will always find a way to carry out their mischief.
Old May 14th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Maybe instead of netting they could use nice decorative bars, or maybe they could be designed from clear plastic so as to decrease the obstruction of the view.

OR

Life vests would be required when lounging on the balcony. The would be equipped with a sensor which would alert security if a person enters the balcony without appropriate protection.

OR

The balconies could be equipped with a bungy cord which would be attached to your ankle. This approach might promote recreational bungy jumping, but then, that might be an add-on for which the cruise lines could charge a premium.

OR

All passengers would be required to wear a non-removable wrist band implanted with a gps locator chip in the event some fool falls overboard they could be found quickly.

Sorry for the silliness, but you can not protect people from themselves and evil people will always find a way to carry out their mischief.
I like the bungy cord idea or maybe just forget the whole thing. If someone wants to jump or wants to go from one balcony to the other, i guess we can't stop them. Now, if she was pushed, that is a different story. Of course if someone really wants to dispose of another, there are lots of ways.
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Captain

Ya' know, I was really pondering this on my drive home today and I think if I was going to throw someone overboard I sure wouldn't alert the security people right away.

I'd wait til we got home and stick to the "alien abduction" story.
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Captain

Quote:
Ya' know, I was really pondering this on my drive home today and I think if I was going to throw someone overboard I sure wouldn't alert the security people right away.

I'd wait til we got home and stick to the "alien abduction" story.
and at least wait until it is dark and most people are sleeping.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Captain

if u r going to kill someone why do it in such a obvious, attention grabbing way? they should throw him overboard at Mt. Kilaluia in Hi.
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Admiral

You know, seriously when they first starting building ships with so many balconies I was concerned for the kids and their safety as far as climbing on the balcony, falling off, etc. Happily, it appears I was wrong.
It seems that the adults are less intelligent than the kids as I have never heard of a kid going over the side. Maybe it's happened but I have never heard of it. I know they splash about in the pools, get in the hottubs, etc. but apparently they have more sense than to climb around on the rails and balconies.
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Captain

maybe because responsible adults keep their kids away from balconies
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Admiral

I was ready to leap to the most logical conclusion as everyone else (that the boyfriend did it) I was talking to d/h about it night before last and we both agreed that is what had to have happened. No one in their right mind would have been out there climbing on the balcony.

Apparently NCL claims to have the incident on video and it pretty much clears the boyfriend and backs up the cruise line's claim that the lady was out climbing the balcony when she fell.

As much as I hate to feel like big brother is always watching me. I am thankful in this case that the video was there and running. It will give the family closure to know the lady was not murdered, and absolve an innocent man of a lifetime of living under suspicion.
Old May 15th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

This is crazy. Don't know the woman but from descriptions she doesn't seem like the type. My bet goes with the boyfriend tossing her over. The camera may have caught her falling but not the toss.

More here....

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...0,385676.story

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
I was ready to leap to the most logical conclusion as everyone else (that the boyfriend did it) I was talking to d/h about it night before last and we both agreed that is what had to have happened. No one in their right mind would have been out there climbing on the balcony.

Apparently NCL claims to have the incident on video and it pretty much clears the boyfriend and backs up the cruise line's claim that the lady was out climbing the balcony when she fell.

As much as I hate to feel like big brother is always watching me. I am thankful in this case that the video was there and running. It will give the family closure to know the lady was not murdered, and absolve an innocent man of a lifetime of living under suspicion.
I was sure the "boyfriend" did it , too. What I'm wondering is WHY she was climbing from balcony to balcony, which seems to be the popular opinion? Was the boyfriend threatening her so much that she was trying to get away? That wouldn't have shown up on any NCL cameras?

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Beginner

on the Star class ships they have over 1000 secirty camera. and at the same time have 24/7 survailence. in both crew areas and passenger areas. so if it was in public area it will be on camera. if it was in her cabin, they don't have cameras to catch that. i am sure if its on tape it will come out in the wash....so to speak
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Captain

Gretta had a big episode on it tonight. Apparently NCL has offered to fly the family to Bermuda to view the tape but they declined and preferred to let the FBI handle it. They felt it was too traumatic to see their loved one fall into the ocean. From what the cruise line has said they have her falling into the water but not from the balcony.

The boyfriend was in the cabin nnext door with their travelling companions. Will be interesting to see what they have to say. That I'm sure will tell the tale.

As for people climbing the balconies, on "the other site" there are several threads detailing drunken young people climbing from balcony to balcony. When discovered they were put off the ship, but it seems this is not terribly uncommon.
Old May 16th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Captain

i guess much like diving from the balcony to the pool on spring break, people can and will do dumb things. what a way to pay for it though
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old May 16th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE11378
Except the really stupid parents that lift their kid onto the table 9 decks above a cement pier

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Admiral

"Sooner or later the cruiselines will have to enclose the ships in netting or something similar to keep the drunks, nuts, etc from going over the side."

That's exactly what my wife said!
but I have a better solution which I posted on another thread:

A questionnaire at embarkation:

Are you a moron?
Yes
No

If you answered 'no,' welcome aboard!
If you answered 'yes,' GO HOME!

Problem solved

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE11378
Except the really stupid parents that lift their kid onto the table 9 decks above a cement pier

Darwinism at its best...
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old May 16th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Admiral

Indeed! At least she's out of the gene pool.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old May 16th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Captain

glad you said that not me, i heard they were in 18 foot seas at the time too
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Admiral

And it may be that she was completly blameless. Speculation may be fun, but we really don't have the facts yet.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old May 18th, 2008, 01:31 AM
First Mate

CBS news had the story,they also had survivors who had fallen overboard. I would love to know how they went overboard. In my opinion if the truth were told they were either thrown or they were involved in some insanely stupid act and fell. You would have to try hard to" fall" overboard. These same people probably don't wear seat belts, drink and drive and use their cell phones while driving. Sooner or later the odds catch up. The previous pictures prove how completely stupid people can be.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:04 AM
Captain

I see the FBI has issued their preliminary report that no foul play was involved. You can read the report on CMs home page.