Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Passenger

Default CASH or DEBT VS Credit Card

anyone have information on using cash or a debt card instead of a credit card when we board?
I know you can but how much cash do they want...
how much do the take from the debt if we used that instead of cash or credit card?
tammy
Old August 7th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Admiral

Tammy,

you can use anything you want. If you prefer cash, you will need to put up at least $300 as I have been told. Then you need to keep tract or what you are spending. As you get anywhere close to the $300 you will need to put up more money. Debit is fine, but again, they will put a hold on money you have available and it could take time, after the cruise to release that hold. If it is, at all possible use a Credit card. At the end of the cruise you can pay in cash so your card will not be billed. As for how much to allow, that depends on your spending habits. The only automatic charge will be $10 per day, per person for tips. How much you spend on drinks, tours, gifts, sur charge dining, gambling, etc is up to you. We do drink, but not a lot, we don't do the bingo thing, will eat is specialty dining rooms a couple of times, only spend money in the shops for booze to take home and maybe a few other things. We will do the martini clinic and a few other things, but usually do our own tours. We allow about $100 to $150 per day for expenses on the ship...

Nita
Old August 8th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Passenger

Nita
thanks for the information I was very much waiting to here this information
I was planning on giving them 2k cash, and my spending habits will be similar to yours so that will be plenty ... I remember from my cruise in 1998 that we doubled the cost of the cruise for our on board spending
but we took several excursions where this time around I do not think we are planning any.. trying to keep it just fun in the sun and beach...
so I feel allot better that the $$ amount I had planned for will be enough.
I frankly do not have a credit card, I stopped using them years ago and only have my debit card now. good and bad I know.
so if I come close to spending what I gave them they will simple ask for more, outstanding... thanks
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinden
Nita
thanks for the information I was very much waiting to here this information
I was planning on giving them 2k cash, and my spending habits will be similar to yours so that will be plenty ... I remember from my cruise in 1998 that we doubled the cost of the cruise for our on board spending
but we took several excursions where this time around I do not think we are planning any.. trying to keep it just fun in the sun and beach...
so I feel allot better that the $$ amount I had planned for will be enough.
I frankly do not have a credit card, I stopped using them years ago and only have my debit card now. good and bad I know.
so if I come close to spending what I gave them they will simple ask for more, outstanding... thanks
No cc, you are right, good and bad. good as you will never overspend, bad, because so many things in our world today are based on CCards; ordering via the net, renting a car and yes, certain aspects of vacations. I think the best plan is to have a CC with a small limit. The only thing wrong with that, they seem to have a habit of raising those limits whether we ask for more or not. I have limited my use of cards and we are down to just a couple: one we use for gas only because we get a great rebate, one for vacations only and one for misc. The only one that carries any balance is our vacation one, yep, we do have a balance on it....

You will be fine with your upfront $$S

Have a great cruise.

\Nita
Old August 8th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Passenger

we decided to apply for a cc and got one this morning it will be here in time.. so problem solved.. I have had no problem just using my debt card which has the visa sign on it, for online purchases which I do all the time, so problem solved.. may give them the 2K anyway so like you said we do not go crazy... haha
Old August 10th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Passenger

HI Tammy,
I used my credit card to check in, and on the last day of the cruise, I went down to the lobby and paid my bill in cash. Though I am sure you could of used your debt card just like a credit card. I paid my bill in cash because I hate the shock of the credit card bill I get after the cruise. My friend use to call and put a credit on her account before the cruise even started. I wouldn't give them the 2K up front. You have a safe in the room, leave the money there and only pay what you owe.
Have a great trip.
CJ
Old August 10th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Passenger

great advice
thanks
tammy
Old September 6th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Beginner

That was good info. As I do not have a credit card either, just a debit card and was planning on using cash.