Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Passenger

Default ncl pearl 4-12-09 western caribbean

My family and I are booked in a balcony qud on the Pearl in April 2009. We have never sailed with NCL, and thought the ship looked beautiful...but I have read many negative reviews especially about the dining reservations and food in general. Please help -any suggestions or help regarding the Pearl would be welcome-also any excursions for Belize,Cozumel, and Roatan. We have been on several Carnival and one Celebrity cruise. Thought we would try the freestyle ...hope we will love the Pearl. How do gratuities work-I have heard you cannot make an adjustment if needed, is this true? Also, can you make dining reservations in advance of the same day if you are booked in a balcony? I have read several thoughts on this and do not have an answer yet. I would appreciate hearing from any Pearl past sailors! Our boys are 11 and 15-any suggestions with excursions for them would be helpful-they love to snorkel. We already visited Altun Ha in Belize on another cruise, so what ever you can recommend we would appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Familiar Face

Hi~

My husband & I sailed on the Pearl to Alaska in May. We are also booked on the Western Caribbean cruise on April 12th except we will be on the Jewel.

PLEASE ignore the negative stuff that people post; I was so stressed out before we sailed on the Pearl due to comments. It was our first time on NCL & all I can say is it far EXCEEDED our expectations! It was never a problem getting reservations for the specialty restaurants. You will be able to make your reservations 48 hours in advance, since you are in a balcony stateroom. There are message boards throughout the ship that let you know if a specialty restaurant is filled up for the day. We dined in all of the specialty restaurants; I would have to say our least favorite was the Italian one. The Mexican restaurant was what we expected. The Asian fusion, the French restaurant & Cagney's steakhouse were fantastic. The regular dining rooms were good as well. We didn't eat the buffet very much but it wasn't bad.

As far as gratuities, they are added daily to your On-board credit account that you will establish upon check-in. You can in fact make adjustments if the reason is warranted, you just need to visit the on-board reception desk & explain the situation. By no means are you expected to pay for poor service but you won't have to worry about that!!!

I wish I could help you with excursions but I'm still trying to figure that one out myself!!!

Bottom line, after my husband & I sailed with NCL/freestyle, we can't imagine cruising any other way. We have two more NCL cruises currently booked & are planning another one for September 2009 as well as June 2010, when the F3 ships launch.

Happy Cruising!!!

PAST CRUISES:
1998 - Carnival Jubilee
1999 - Carnival Holiday
2007 - Carnival Paradise
2008 - Norwegian Pearl
2008 - Norwegian Sky
2010 - Norwegian Dawn
2011 - Norwegian Epic
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Passenger

Default Pearl 4-12-09

Thanks so much for your help. I am hoping the Pearl will be a wonderful cruise and we'll want to book another NCL cruise.
Can I ask how you enter the countdown clocks? I tried, but I don't think I'm doing it correctly. Thanks for your help.
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Pearl 4-12-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell lady
Thanks so much for your help. I am hoping the Pearl will be a wonderful cruise and we'll want to book another NCL cruise.
Can I ask how you enter the countdown clocks? I tried, but I don't think I'm doing it correctly. Thanks for your help.
Hi~

All you have to do is create a ticker on CruiseClocks.com (I think you can get there by clicking on the link on one of my posts). Once your ticker is completed, copy the "BBCode" format.
On the top left of the Cruisemates page, select Profile. This will open your Registration Page. Scroll down to the Profile information/Signature section. Paste the BBCode formatted ticker here (make sure your BBCode is on).

Select Submit at the bottom of the page. This should do it. If not, let me know & I will try to help you further!!!

PAST CRUISES:
1998 - Carnival Jubilee
1999 - Carnival Holiday
2007 - Carnival Paradise
2008 - Norwegian Pearl
2008 - Norwegian Sky
2010 - Norwegian Dawn
2011 - Norwegian Epic
Old August 29th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Passenger

Just got back from Alaska on Norwegian Pearl. Beautiful ship. Long walks from front to back though. One secret I discovered on the last day, the coffee machine toward the back in the buffet (garden cafe), not on deck, has expresso, and cappuccino whenever you wantit. We had no problem getting reservations. Make them for Summer Palace. They call it the dressup restaurant but it's not really, except on dress up night. I guess. Anyway, it's a lovely restaurant and the service is terrific. We had 3 kids with us, and I prefer not to have freestyle. On royal Carib, we had the same waiters every night and they did magic tricks and folded napkins for the kids. that was nice. The balcony rooms are very nice, but I must say, all the rooms are a little tighter than other lines. HAL, and Celebrity come to mind, as well as royal carib. for 2 people it was fine, we had one grandchild with us and it was tight when the beds were made. I did like it enough to book again for Jnuary to Belize and roatan.

Romantica
Victoria
Voyager of Seas
Freedom of Seas
Rhapsody of Seas
Sovereignof the Seas
Imagination
Celebration
Imagination
old Noordam
New Noordam
Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Century
Constallation
Millenium
ncl wind
ncl pearl

Old August 29th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Passenger

Default ncl pearl

Thanks so much for your help with the Pearl-We are looking forward to our western caribbean cruise in April. Please let me know how it went since you are going in January. I appreciate your help. Thanks so much.
I am looking forward to trying another line, and I hope we like NCL.
Read and post cruise reviews