Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Beginner

Default Pearl Aft Minisuite square footage? Deck 11

Does anyone know why the aft minisuite cabins (below) have different square footage? I'm referring to the 231sf. and 218sf. rooms, not the handicapp. I've read that some of the rooms have a different configuration where some rooms have the bed closer to the balcony and some have the beds nearer to the bathroom. Maybe this is the reason?
Thanks!

Jewel, Pride of Hawaii, Pearl and Gem
11150 - Cabin & Balcony Sq Ft (231) (54)
11152 - Cabin & Balcony Sq Ft (218) (54)
11154 - Cabin & Balcony Sq Ft (231) (54)
11156 - Cabin & Balcony Sq Ft (218) (54)
11650 - Cabin & Balcony Sq Ft (335) (69) - Handicapp
11654 - Cabin & Balcony Sq Ft (335) (81) - Handicapp
11656 - Cabin & Balcony Sq Ft (218) (54)
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

it has to do with the angle of the stern and the hallways etc
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Not sure, "maybe the lay of the land" but I have been inside some of them on the Pearl and they are nice and very roomy. They seem to go fast so if you are looking at one maybe you should book it.
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Passenger

I would say that it's due to the curve of the back of the ship. I've been in cabin 9670 on the Pearl and loved this mini-suite. Our room was actually a Penthouse 11530 and would have gladly switched due to the loudness of being on deck 11. The aft cabins are fabulous due to the view and sounds of the water from the wake! I would avoid at all costs being on deck 11 unless you are deaf!
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Beginner

Why are the rooms on 11 so noisy? Is it the area above (garden cafe?)?
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes - mostly the chair movement and noise seams to drift over the rear rail and down to your balconly. Some people don't have a problem with this and just love the aft cabins. I like the balcony cabins on the sides close to the rear like 10 cabins from the rear but not as roomy as the aft ones, you might just love them.
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Passenger

We booked a Penthouse, AB category, which was rm 11530. This suite was located directly under the Ping Pong tables on the pool deck. Here's a timeline of how your day begins and ends: 1am - Maint. Crew arrives at deck 12 to start cleaning; 6am - Pool Crew arrives to move chairs and furniture back into place; 7:30am - Guests start playing Ping Pong and this continues ALL DAY AND ends around 10:30pm. Therefore, if you book this suite, you will be forced to leave your room unless you can tolerate 4 people (usually very competitive men) jumping right above your room. It even gets so bad at times that the walls shake. I'm not exaggerating at all. It completely ruined our vacation. After begging the crew to take care of the issue, gave up and kidnapped the paddles hoping to enjoy some peace and quiet. Unfortunately, more paddles showed up at the tables. I never realized how much priority and how serious people get over ping pong. This is a serious game for some and they get intensely involved for hours every day. Not only that, the crew has competitions with guests DAILY. If you book on deck 11, my best advice, would be to stick with rooms below the spa which is on the starboard side!!! Please take my honest advice or you're going to be miserable. I just want to save any future guests the same misery that we suffered at a very high price.
Old January 17th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi669
We booked a Penthouse, AB category, which was rm 11530. This suite was located directly under the Ping Pong tables on the pool deck. Here's a timeline of how your day begins and ends: 1am - Maint. Crew arrives at deck 12 to start cleaning; 6am - Pool Crew arrives to move chairs and furniture back into place; 7:30am - Guests start playing Ping Pong and this continues ALL DAY AND ends around 10:30pm. Therefore, if you book this suite, you will be forced to leave your room unless you can tolerate 4 people (usually very competitive men) jumping right above your room. It even gets so bad at times that the walls shake. I'm not exaggerating at all. It completely ruined our vacation. After begging the crew to take care of the issue, gave up and kidnapped the paddles hoping to enjoy some peace and quiet. Unfortunately, more paddles showed up at the tables. I never realized how much priority and how serious people get over ping pong. This is a serious game for some and they get intensely involved for hours every day. Not only that, the crew has competitions with guests DAILY. If you book on deck 11, my best advice, would be to stick with rooms below the spa which is on the starboard side!!! Please take my honest advice or you're going to be miserable. I just want to save any future guests the same misery that we suffered at a very high price.
That is terrible! I can't believe there wasn't anything they could do for you. Trying to 'kidnap' the paddles was pretty smart. Too bad they had more. I usually try to get rooms inbetween floors of other rooms, but this time we are at the aft deck 11. I guess you can hear chairs and/or people from the "Great Outdoors", but I'm not too worried. When I'm tired, I can sleep through anything and earplugs work great! So sorry about your bad room. It's great that you are letting everyone know though!
Old January 17th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Admiral

I don't think you can write off the entire deck 11 due to Gigi's experience. Especially since Gigi's cabin 11530 is halfway between the forward and midship elevators and nowhere near where your cabin will be in the aft. However it is good info to know for anyone considering a cabin in that area. I was in 11630 on the Pearl and it was actually quiet except for one night when the crew went up to play basketball at 1:00 a.m. Even though the basketball court was way up on deck 13 it could be heard vibrating through our room 2 decks below. Once it was brought the the attention of those in charge, it stopped.
The best advice I can give to anyone who is in the least bit bothered by noise, bring earplugs. You never know what you'll encounter and it just isn't worth it to allow these issues to ruin a vacation.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 18th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Yeoman

Interesting that they played so much table tennis on gigi669s cruise.

I have been on NCL cruises around Hawaii, Western Caribbean and Transatlantic and I have never seen anyone play table tennis! I can understand that it isn't very nice to have a cabin under the table tennis table if they play there all the time!
Old January 18th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Passenger

In regards to the Aft cabins, my family utilized 3 Aft Minisuites on deck 9 of the Pearl. These were fabulous rooms with awesome views. My husband and I were very willing to downgrade to one of these, accepting the $3000 loss in category, just to have some peace and quiet. Unfortunately, the Front Desk Manager said we couldn't relocate since the ship was full.

Erik- "if they played there all the time" - I promise you...they did when not docked! Apparently, our particular cruise had some intense ping pongers. I noticed that some of the same people competed every day. I also mentioned there were published tournaments between the cruise staff and guests...so that encourages these tables to be used. Maybe there was a Ping Pong Convention that I wasn't aware of. I saw many locations these tables could easily be moved to(they were foldable) in order not to disturb ANY guest whether in a Penthouse or inside Stateroom. My biggest frustration was the staff of the ship made NO efforts to do anything and this was not their first complaint of this. The only times the tables weren't used seem to be when we were in port but once guests returned around 3pm.. the ping pong was "ON". We enjoy the ports as much as another so during the port times we weren't on the ship when it was empty. Earplugs would be fine for nighttime sleeping...but what about all of the other times! I don't sleep during the day. When you pay that much for a room, your intentions are to spend time in there relaxing. We had a wonderful living room, balcony, bathroom with a tub by the window..etc. The room was the best but the sounds were so loud...you begin to become exhausted and on edge. The constant booming is just unbearable to any human being that can hear. My husband could not even concentrate enough to read his book! Just so you know I'm not exaggerating, the makeup mirror would actually shake when they jumped so you couldn't even use it!