Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Default NCL GEM

Any information on the NCL Gem.. we are thinking of booking a cabin with a b alcony or a mini-suite.. what is the difference.. Heard that if your in a mini suite you can go to Cagneys for breakfast
Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Familiar Face

Sorry, only full suites (and VIP passengers) have breakfast privileges at Cagney's.

The mini-suites are slightly larger than the balcony, have a full sofa in the sitting area vs. a love seat, a full bathtub vs. a shower, and a curtain that can be closed to separate the sitting from the sleeping are for more privacy.

Both types can make dinner reservations 48 hrs. in advance, vs. 24 hrs for Outside and Inside cabins.

A mini-suite is really a deluxe balcony cabin, not a suite.
Old February 10th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Default TWO WEEKS-trans-atlantic

Doesn't seem much of a difference (about ›60.00) for two weeks... First time on NCL since they went all Free Style.. Any feedback?
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Familiar Face

$60 for 2 weeks? I'd go with the mini, definitely.
Old February 11th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Default NCL Gem

We did go for the mini-suite and I just read they have washing machines on several decks.. LIFE IS GOOD!!!
Old February 11th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We sailed the media cruise out of Boston, and aside form the snow, what a nice get to know her mini cruise! We had a mini suite, and it was the best designed cabin I have ever had....great decor, wonderful storage, and the snow on the balcony was sure a first! Go Mini!!!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 11th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Default MEDIA TRIP

Are you by chance my cruise agent?...lol She said the same thing
Old February 16th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Captain

Default Re: NCL Gem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
We did go for the mini-suite and I just read they have washing machines on several decks.. LIFE IS GOOD!!!
Just back from 10 days on the Gem. My third cruise on the ship.

Washing machines were on decks 5.9. & 10 but they are now gone. NCL has closed them on all the ships. They did offer a laundry special twice on the 10 day. $24.95 for all you can stuff in bag washed and folded.

Mini suite was an excellent choice. In my view the extra 70 SQF and added storage is huge. Having been in an AB and A4 the last two times on the Gem I was very comfortable in my aft facing AF even though it was one of 2 AFs that are only 218 SQF instead of the normal 231 SQF. The view more then made up for the 1 SQF

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old February 16th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Admiral

Default PICTURES

Thank you soooo very much.. did you ever get to see the Romance Suites or the Penthouse? Any scoop on specials at the extra charge restaurants..how many formal nights would they have on a 13 day cruise? Everybody seems to rave about the ship and many people have been on it twice.. Haven't been on NCL since they went Freestyle.. Just ticked about them taking the washing machines off...
Old February 16th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Captain

Default Re: PICTURES

Quote:
Thank you soooo very much.. did you ever get to see the Romance Suites or the Penthouse? Any scoop on specials at the extra charge restaurants..how many formal nights would they have on a 13 day cruise? Everybody seems to rave about the ship and many people have been on it twice.. Haven't been on NCL since they went Freestyle.. Just ticked about them taking the washing machines off...
You picked a great ship to try Freestyle. I had friends in an AD last cruise and spent a fair amount of time in the cabin. They are identical to the AE but ADs have a much deeper balcony with room for two full sized loungers and chairs. You can even move the table for 4 onto the balcony to eat breakfast or dinner served by your butler.

Best pictures of the Romance Suite on the Gem

http://web8.506.bces.de/test/thumbnails.php?album=77

As far as I am concerned there are no real formal nights. They did have two dress up if you want nights on the 10 day I just got off. Most passengers dressed better those nights but for the first time I did not see one tux and a handful of suits. I attended the Captains VIP party that night and went for a blazer and tie.

I need to pull out my Freestyle Daily and check on specials. I do remember on many days they had 2 for 1 before 7 pm in the La Cucina, the Asian, and Tequila.

Old February 16th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Default COLORS

well, the ship isn't called the NCL Beige..all bright toned jeweled colors.. lol
Old February 16th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Captain

Default Re: COLORS

Quote:
well, the ship isn't called the NCL Beige..all bright toned jeweled colors.. lol
It is funny once you fill the ship with people the color really works and blends nicely

You did see the mini suite pictures on the site of the AD link

http://web8.506.bces.de/test/thumbnails.php?album=78

Old February 16th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Admiral

welcome back Shoreguy.

Nita
Old February 16th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Admiral

Default Colors

As somebody who i am trying to talk into joining us said.. I wouldn't need two cups of coffee to wake up"
Old February 21st, 2009, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom, are you on the TA from Barcelona to NYC? This will be our first NCL cruise and first TA!

We booked an AF but have been wondering if I should save a few $$ and change my booking. Maybe I won't.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old February 21st, 2009, 03:45 PM
Admiral

Default TRANSATLANTIC

For me. a tran-atlantic is the only way to go!!! We did book an AF suite which wasn't much more but from I heard has more storage space.. and the price was ridiculously low..Wish I could have thought about doing a back to back or going on a the next category up.. This is our 4th trans-atlantic from Barcelona and we did one from Harwich.. If you need nformation about a hotel write me and a guide/driver write me. The joke is that I get the cruise, make sure I have the hotel and then my driver/guide..lol They are fabulous.. Haven't booked the air yet.. waiting to see what Aer Lingus comes up with.. If you want more info parrotmom@verizon.net
Old February 21st, 2009, 04:24 PM
Captain

I did the first Gem TA in early Dec 2007. I love transatlantics but this was really special when I got a call 2 days before I flew to Barcelona with an upsell offer to an A3 courtyard villa.

I have a lot of pictures from that cruise about halfway down the page
The sea days were spectacular

Also pictures from the first TA of the Jewel and Pearl

Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:23 AM
Admiral

Shoreguy, thanks for the link to your pics! They're great!

Do by chance recall the surcharge for the different specialty restaurants? I plan on enjoying them, but just curious as to the cost.

Parrotmom, we will be traveling with 2 other couples and they are taking care of all details. One guy has been to Spain numeous times and speaks fluent Spanish. I'm simply along for a carefree ride!

Have you met anyone else joining us on this cruise?
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:37 AM
Captain

La Cucina and Tequila $10
Bistro $15
Cagney's $20 ($10 extra for several options - Surf and Turf)
Orchid Garden/Sushi - $20 ????
Teppanyaki - $25

Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Default ALTERNATIVE RESTAURANTS

FIRST, on the other board there are people who are active and very nice btw compared to the Princess board I'm on..lol. They are trying to put together tours for Rome and Livorno....According to others the alternative restaurants have two for ones and you have to watch the daily newspaper. Barcelona we have our hotel and guide.. and if your interested write me..lol. We have used this hotel and guide three other times.. Malaga, one of our favorite ports.. if you are interested the Alhambra is THE place to go, but a strenuous tour through.. we prefer Mijas, the lovely mountain village.. and perhaps this time will go to the Marina. there is also the Picasso Museum.. Ajaccio we went one other cruise and I couldn't wait to get back on the ship..lol, but NCL has an interesting excursion.. Cannes.. heard it was an easy port to visit and tour... If you need info on Barcelona let me know.. parrotmom@verizon.net
Old February 23rd, 2009, 12:01 PM
Captain

50% off at the specialy restaurants vary from sailing to sailing. They were offered only one night on my Feb 4th 10 day and only in Orchid Garden, La Cucina and Tequila 5:30 to 7:30

Old February 23rd, 2009, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Default ALTERNATIVE RESTAURANTS

FIRST, on the other board there are people who are active and very nice btw compared to the Princess board I'm on..lol. They are trying to put together tours for Rome and Livorno....According to others the alternative restaurants have two for ones and you have to watch the daily newspaper. Barcelona we have our hotel and guide.. and if your interested write me..lol. We have used this hotel and guide three other times.. Malaga, one of our favorite ports.. if you are interested the Alhambra is THE place to go, but a strenuous tour through.. we prefer Mijas, the lovely mountain village.. and perhaps this time will go to the Marina. there is also the Picasso Museum.. Ajaccio we went one other cruise and I couldn't wait to get back on the ship..lol, but NCL has an interesting excursion.. Cannes.. heard it was an easy port to visit and tour... If you need info on Barcelona let me know.. parrotmom@verizon.net
Old February 23rd, 2009, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Default AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2gonow
Parrot Mom, are you on the TA from Barcelona to NYC? This will be our first NCL cruise and first TA!

We booked an AF but have been wondering if I should save a few $$ and change my booking. Maybe I won't.
Just read that there is a bathtub in the AF.. and yes, we are on from Barcelona to NYC? If this is your Trans-Atlantic you will fall in love with the days at sea at the end of the cruise. Have read all along that repositioning cruises are a "hidden secret" for value.... and I absolutely agree. We are of the age where we find port intensive itineraries too exhausting.. give me a day by the pool or in the jacuzzi inbetween,. Most of all I love watching the ocean slipping by and the starry nights from our balcony. There is so much to love about trans-atlantic or repositioning cruising..two weeks is our norm.. one day less won't be too big a deal.. Today I am waiting for the private sale of another ship due to sail in 2010..lol. and yes.. want to see where the ship is going...
Old February 23rd, 2009, 05:11 PM
Admiral

All right! You and I sound like very similar creatures! My DH retired this year, so we are just now able to look into the repositioning cruises. I'm so excited. I long for those wonderful sea days!

I was looking at Shoreguy's pics of the aft balcony. Have you ever booked one of the aft cabins? Looks good!
Mariner of the Seas

Old February 23rd, 2009, 05:27 PM
Admiral

Default AFT CABINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2gonow
All right! You and I sound like very similar creatures! My DH retired this year, so we are just now able to look into the repositioning cruises. I'm so excited. I long for those wonderful sea days!

I was looking at Shoreguy's pics of the aft balcony. Have you ever booked one of the aft cabins? Looks good!
I'M not in the category of being an "aft snob".. because I've had a tendency to be seasick so I want mid-ship.. and since Parrot Pop walks with a cane. being near an elevator is the ideal situation. It appears that we have lucked out on t his cruise.. One thing about retirement.. you get no days off...lol This is a bad winter in N.E. and we have a bit more than a month before we will hit hot, hot weather.. A weeks vacation/cruise is never enough, because you fly to where yo ur going.. that's exhausting.lol. and then you have maybe five good days.. and then you have to get ready to get off again and then by the time you get home your exhausted from the flying and traveling.. Those that travel from the US to Europe have the days at the front and loose an hour each day...when they disembark they have hit all their ports.. We do it the other way.. have a pre-cruise..again in Barcelona.. leisurely embark the ship..and sail away..for at least worriless for 13 days.. then we pack and either fly or drive home. You have days at sea when you say.. I really don't want to see anymore food...BUT i think I'll grab a salad..lol.. but I love the pampering and being away from the dull routine of being retired..