Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 25th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default An Epic Deception?

This is not a big deal - but it just goes to how you that you can't always trust a brochure. Here are some of the renderings directly from NCL about certain spots on Epic. Now granted, these were done a long time ago before the ship was done, but they are still using them when they could take updated pictures.

I wish the Speigel tent looked like this...

When in reality it looks like this... (much smaller)

And I wish the Ice Bar looked like this.... (The Original Epic Rendering)

When in reality it looks like these two pictures:

These last two pictures are by Peter Knego. He did not do this comparison, I did. This isn't any reason not to like the ship - just a precaution that the ship may not be as "Epic" as it is made to appear.

In fact - most Ice Bars (like in Stockholm) are made entirely of ice on the inside - there are ice walls, & ceiling, an ice bar and all the chairs and glasses are ice. I am sure most of you have seen the "Ice Hotel" in northern Sweden, this is an entirely building recarved every winter entirely out of ice. That was the inspiration for Ice Bars in other cities - it is supposed to be all ice.

I hate to say it, but it is almost like the Ice Bar on Epic was de-certified by Absolut, the company that is associated with most ice bars, because sometime during the first cruise the name was changed to the "Svedka Ice Bar" - I have never heard of Svedka, but I am not a vodka drinker, either.

Here is my wife Lou Ann, in the Stockholm Ice Bar - note the Ice-glasses, wall, bar, etc. This is an Absolut bar.

And another picture of the same Ice Bar below:

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Admiral

That is quite a difference with the circus tent, a bit less so with the ice bar, but still I'd be expecting more when I boarded, only to be let down a bit. Cruise lines often seem to overlook updating their websites, but given the hype for the Epic I'd like to think they would be more proactive and put up actual photos. Of course they'd probably still be photoshopped.
Old August 24th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Familiar Face

Default wow

I wasn't planning on booking the spiegel tent show because I am not a fan of watching acrobatics and circus tricks but really glad I AM NOT going to that show. . Thanks for the comparison.
Old August 28th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

The Tent was really much smaller than I had expected, many of the people on the bottom floor were really too close to the action. Why was it not bigger and the size shown in the brochure? The size is really too small for a ship of 3,000+ people.
Old August 29th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

actually, berth capacity alone of 4100 people, and that does not include 3 and 4th guests in staterooms. Not sure what the true capacity of Epic is, but my guess is that it is over 5000.
Old August 29th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Passenger

Its interesting how on the NCL website the pictures of the cabins, public venues and restaurants are taken at strategic angles and with no people so there is no way to way gauge perception of space size! Very clever advertising & marketing but, based, on the the reviews I have read on-line, it has back-fired for people were paying top dollar for cabins they were lead to believe were much much larger as opposed to reality - so the barrage of online complaints started about the very narrow, cramped cabins and the now infamous "deconstructed" bathrooms!
Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:17 AM
Passenger

In advertising, or even mockups you see before any sort of building or cruise ship or anything is built, the artists' renderings always make a space look larger more exciting than they usually look in real life. For one thing, they can place people wherever they "look nice" and don't overcrowd the area or make it look too lonely. Some of the areas shown on RCI's Oasis also look more "grand" in the drawings, though the ship is reportedly quite fabulous when you see it in person. I think most of us know the "fake" photos are not truly what the venues will look like.

But aside from that, I just can't get all that excited about a room filled with and/or made of ice! The hyper-ized a/c on most cruise ships is cold enough for me - lol! We have to wear coats in the winter where I live so I certainly don't want to have to wear one when I am inside, esp. when on a ship! But I guess it's a novel thing to do.