CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/)
-   -   cruising out of NYC (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/379548-cruising-out-nyc.html)

CruisinTime January 16th, 2011 02:52 PM

cruising out of NYC

Hello all,
Ive posted years ago with a different name and had to sign up again since I couldnt recall my last sign in info. Anyway- hello again and quick question about a departure port Ive never used. I grew up in NY (Brooklyn) and moved away ages ago. I live in MD and using NYC as a departure port would be wonderful distance-wise. I loved our first NCL trip on Majesty and would love to try the Jewel.

The question: Is it filled with NYers and will it feel that way? I dont mean to insult anyone with the bluntness of this statement but theres a certain lack of friendliness Id hate to brush up against on a cruise thats should be nothing but bliss. I found a review on this ship on this board that said they felt NY attitude around, but its an older review and I realize opinions are personal. Like I said I grew up there and have often overlooked this departure port because I was worried about this issue. So Im not making this statement based on rumors or ideas -but experience growing up in NY. When I cruised out of Southern ports I felt the Southern warmth. Cruised out of Miami once and felt like I was on a ship full of NYers- and I didnt like it as much as southern departures. Maybe I just answered my question- maybe the board will convince me otherwise. Any other info on the Jewel from a recent passenger would be great too.

Thanks for any insight and honest opinions.
CruisinTime

Trip January 16th, 2011 03:18 PM

You could take the repo of the Jewel from Boston to Tampa 2 weeks in October.....just don't wear a Yankees cap!:cool:

Kuki January 16th, 2011 06:18 PM

Have cruised out of NY a couple of times on NCL. Never noticed an "attitude problem".

Lakers Fan January 16th, 2011 06:18 PM

I don't have an answer for you but I too grew up in Brooklyn and today I went there with 2 friends and found that only one restaurant remained from the "old " days and we had lunch there .

CruisinTime January 16th, 2011 07:36 PM

Kuki- thank you for that response. I do appreciate an expert opinion.

Henry- I feel ya- KP diner is gone. Monti's Venetian Room- gone. My whole hood aint what it used to be and it is sad. I always have mixed feelings whenever I go "home".

Trip- Ive always wanted to repo but since there are kids in the mix, the dates I can choose to cruise are always limited - for now ;)

Thanks again for responses folks- Im booking the Jewel! (kinda figured I was but just thought Id toss the question out)

chrissy3427 January 17th, 2011 01:04 PM

I think from time to time you will see a bit of a NY'er come out on occasion from other passengers, but it is not bad... just a reminder of where you sailed out of!
I prefer though sailing out of southern departures; more of a mix of guests.

Christina

Lakers Fan January 17th, 2011 01:09 PM

KP Diner

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruisinTime (Post 1343142)
Kuki- thank you for that response. I do appreciate an expert opinion.

Henry- I feel ya- KP diner is gone. Monti's Venetian Room- gone. My whole hood aint what it used to be and it is sad. I always have mixed feelings whenever I go "home".

Trip- Ive always wanted to repo but since there are kids in the mix, the dates I can choose to cruise are always limited - for now ;)

Thanks again for responses folks- Im booking the Jewel! (kinda figured I was but just thought Id toss the question out)

My friends still living in Brooklyn tell me that the owner of KP will be reopening somewhere in Mill Basin .

The Arch and the Floridian are still there .

CruisinTime January 17th, 2011 08:53 PM

Henry- thanks for that info. I know someone who worked at KP for almost 20 years- wondered what she would do and she didnt seem to know that the owners were trying to reopen. Sounds like we're from the same area. I went to school across the street from the Arch and ditched class once or twice and spent that time in their booths. I grew up on Utica Ave not far off Flatlands. Currently happily transplanted in MD. As I mentioned before the old hood is far from what it used to be unfortunately.
Thanks again - its always fun crossing paths in cyber space with ppl from NY, especially since you know where Im from.

Lakers Fan January 17th, 2011 09:11 PM

Brooklyn

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruisinTime (Post 1343516)
Henry- thanks for that info. I know someone who worked at KP for almost 20 years- wondered what she would do and she didnt seem to know that the owners were trying to reopen. Sounds like we're from the same area. I went to school across the street from the Arch and ditched class once or twice and spent that time in their booths. I grew up on Utica Ave not far off Flatlands. Currently happily transplanted in MD. As I mentioned before the old hood is far from what it used to be unfortunately.
Thanks again - its always fun crossing paths in cyber space with ppl from NY, especially since you know where Im from.

You went to SS . I lived north of you in the area of Utica and Eastern Parkway .Do you remember Herbie's International or is that before your time ?

CruisinTime January 17th, 2011 09:51 PM

Herbie's- slightly before my time. If I wanted a hero I would go across the street for a quick fix or Wilkensons in the area of Roy Mann JHS. But you wanna make me crave a taste of home- Brennen and Carrs is all you have to say ;) Roll n Roaster also makes me want to get in the car and drive 5 hours. Randazzos, Castle Harbor, Peter Lugars.. ok I gotta stop....

Lakers Fan January 17th, 2011 09:57 PM

Brooklyn

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruisinTime (Post 1343541)
Herbie's- slightly before my time. If I wanted a hero I would go across the street for a quick fix or Wilkensons in the area of Roy Mann JHS. But you wanna make me crave a taste of home- Brennen and Carrs is all you have to say ;) Roll n Roaster also makes me want to get in the car and drive 5 hours. Randazzos, Castle Harbor, Peter Lugars.. ok I gotta stop....

I am fortunate in living close enough to Booklyn to go back virtually anytime . All of the places you listed are still around .

2katz3fsh January 18th, 2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruisinTime (Post 1343039)
Hello all,
Ive posted years ago with a different name and had to sign up again since I couldnt recall my last sign in info. Anyway- hello again and quick question about a departure port Ive never used. I grew up in NY (Brooklyn) and moved away ages ago. I live in MD and using NYC as a departure port would be wonderful distance-wise. I loved our first NCL trip on Majesty and would love to try the Jewel.

The question: Is it filled with NYers and will it feel that way? I dont mean to insult anyone with the bluntness of this statement but theres a certain lack of friendliness Id hate to brush up against on a cruise thats should be nothing but bliss. I found a review on this ship on this board that said they felt NY attitude around, but its an older review and I realize opinions are personal. Like I said I grew up there and have often overlooked this departure port because I was worried about this issue. So Im not making this statement based on rumors or ideas -but experience growing up in NY. When I cruised out of Southern ports I felt the Southern warmth. Cruised out of Miami once and felt like I was on a ship full of NYers- and I didnt like it as much as southern departures. Maybe I just answered my question- maybe the board will convince me otherwise. Any other info on the Jewel from a recent passenger would be great too.

Thanks for any insight and honest opinions.
CruisinTime

Fuggedabodit is all I have to say! LOL
I'm from NYC and I've taken cruises from all over and have never noticed any Changes in Lattitudes, Changes in Attitudes. However, having said that, I do note that people from NYC tend to tip more, dress up more, expect more, and are somewhat more vocal than others. Then again, others from parts more southern are just as vocal in other topics: religion, politics, food, etc. and more laid back. Different strokes for different folks, whatever floats your boat, and be happy in our unique nature. It would be so boring to bow down to conformity. Enjoy your cruise no matter where you leave from and remember, it's not the destination, but the journey that is important!

Lakers Fan January 18th, 2011 09:34 PM

New York

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2katz3fsh (Post 1343795)
Fuggedabodit is all I have to say! LOL
I'm from NYC and I've taken cruises from all over and have never noticed any Changes in Lattitudes, Changes in Attitudes. However, having said that, I do note that people from NYC tend to tip more, dress up more, expect more, and are somewhat more vocal than others. Then again, others from parts more southern are just as vocal in other topics: religion, politics, food, etc. and more laid back. Different strokes for different folks, whatever floats your boat, and be happy in our unique nature. It would be so boring to bow down to conformity. Enjoy your cruise no matter where you leave from and remember, it's not the destination, but the journey that is important!

I was born and raised in Brooklyn. I find in my travels that people from Brooklyn and the Bronx tend to be more assertive that people from as an example ,Topeka ,Kansas .