CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/)
-   -   What time should I board ship? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/383899-what-time-should-i-board-ship.html)

Peg125 July 24th, 2011 04:16 PM

What time should I board ship?

I am leaving on the Gem this Sunday out of NYC. Embarkation time begins at 12 and the ship leaves at 4 PM. What time should I get to the port to possibly avoid long lines at check-in? Thanks!

Trip July 24th, 2011 07:54 PM

You can board around 11-12. NCL usually has a place where you can drop off your carry ons, rather than shlepping it around..Go up to the lido, eat lunch..investigate the ship, and around one, your cabin will be ready...I think no matter what time you get there, you will find crowds...I would prefer to get on early, and, start rejoicing. :)

Peg125 July 24th, 2011 08:19 PM

Thank you!!!!

nmnita July 25th, 2011 01:08 PM

We always get to the port about 11 to 11:30 and are on the ship by 12:30 at the latest. The fun thing is having that extra time to explore the ship. It makes us feel like we have almost an extra day on board..It gives you time to eat, look around and enjoy yourselves while you are waiting to get into your cabin (usually 1:30 or 2pm) they will tell you 2, we have always been able to occupy the cabin a little earlier.

Nita

Peg125 July 25th, 2011 02:32 PM

Thank you!

Mike M July 25th, 2011 04:42 PM

The advice you've received is the best. Don't arrive before 11:00 a.m. or you will just sit around. The check-in may be faster but you'll just sit after that.

A supposedly "seasoned" cruiser wrote a review of their cruise. In the review she stated that they arrived at the pier before 10 a.m. and was irritated that they had to sit for two hours before being allowed on board. I just thought "duh". After the number of cruises this person had taken I think they would have figured it out by now.

Take care and have a wonderful cruise.
Mike

Lakers Fan July 25th, 2011 08:38 PM

Not the Gem but:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peg125 (Post 1383133)
I am leaving on the Gem this Sunday out of NYC. Embarkation time begins at 12 and the ship leaves at 4 PM. What time should I get to the port to possibly avoid long lines at check-in? Thanks!

Last Sunday we cruised on the Veendam which was at dock 90 ,the Gem was at 88 . Embarkation was 10:30 .We arrived 9:15 and were in our cabin relaxing at 10:40 .

robh July 26th, 2011 12:38 AM

Rule of thumb applies to most cruise lines as explained prior.
If you arrrive at 11-12, you will be one of the first , might wait , might not and then your cabin depending on cruise line will be available after 1pm or such.
Have your ticket, passport (or accepted identification) and credit card (or method of payment) ready in your hand , not in your handbag. makes the checkin process fast.
Put all this away once processed as now you only need in your hand your seacard to board the ship and smile in the ships security cabin.

Main reason to be on board early is to have a few hours to relax , munch , adjust dinner seatings if needed, make spa appointments, locate your muster station for lifeboat drill which is on yor cabin door and the time will be on your bed or table. Walk around..

Your luggage will also arrrive a few hours after boarding so you are able to place clothes away and place valuables in the cabin safe. Now you can relax..

On Princess, they have a new method wher they suggest arriving by deck number at a set time but still accept you. It is difficult if you have to checkout of a hotel at 11am and asked to checkin at the ship for 1:30 - 2pm so we elected to leave at 12:30 pm and by the time we arrived and were done, we were on the ship by 1:30pm. Course remember all the buses will arrive at around 1 or 2pm.
Me. I go for the noonish time... nice to know one is onboard and bye bye world, I'm on my cruise..

Peg125 July 26th, 2011 08:21 AM

Thank you!

showcat July 26th, 2011 02:10 PM

Board around noon, for me the earlier I'm on the ship the earlier my vacation starts! NCL surprised me by having the cabin ready as soon as we boarded so we were able to drop off our carry on bags and head up to the buffet for lunch! Enjoy!

Rentlady August 19th, 2011 12:41 AM

Rentlady

]I used to arrive for a ship around 11 or 11:30, there would be crowds then.Now I am much wiser about boarding. My husband and I arrive around 1pm and there are no lines. We breeze right thru check in, lunch tables are available as everyone has eatten and the party has started. Enjoy your cruise!;)

Trip August 19th, 2011 01:05 AM

Welcome Rentlady..circumstances can dictate your arrival. For us, we precruise,and we need to get the rental car back, at a certain time, as not to be charged an extra day,sometimes get a shuttle, so all things have to be timed just so...Driving into a port,and having the pleasure of avoiding the crowds, is a plus when you can do it. Flying in that day, also depending on your arrival, can make it tricky..plus the, I want to get onboard ,NOW. kicks in:)

senoj84 August 20th, 2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmnita (Post 1383314)
We always get to the port about 11 to 11:30 and are on the ship by 12:30 at the latest. The fun thing is having that extra time to explore the ship. It makes us feel like we have almost an extra day on board..It gives you time to eat, look around and enjoy yourselves while you are waiting to get into your cabin (usually 1:30 or 2pm) they will tell you 2, we have always been able to occupy the cabin a little earlier.

Nita

I like this thought, never thought of it that way before. We'll plan to arrive earlier. :D