Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Question NCL Opinion

This is a question to all avid NCL cruisers. What is your favorite NCL ship and what is it that makes it your favorite from the other NCL ships you cruised on. Looking at cruises for 2013 and wanted to learn more about NCL.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

My last two NCL ships were the Gem,and the Epic, which I will be going on again, in May for our CM group cruise. The Epic's cabins are controversial due to the layout of the bathroom. The sink is in the cabin, not "IN" the bathroom....I could have cared less about this...

That being said, the entertainment was wonderful, as was the alternative dining venues...The no charge pub...O' Sheehans is fabulous, having the best chicken tenders in the world

The pool area is like a theme park, so this is fun for those who love slides etc...

I am looking forward to another week on the Epic...The Gem was my first ever cruise in a blizzard..seeing a foot of snow on the pool deck is a forever memory ! Totally enjoyed the ship, but, the Epic has more going on.....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 25th, 2011, 10:55 AM
First Mate

Just answered your other thread, on HAL, so I thought I'd post here, too.

I've only done one NCL cruise, with friends who wanted to go out of a port not served by HAL. It was on the Majesty, which certainly was far from majestic. The cabins were tiny compared to HAL (even the one that was supposedly a handicapped cabin). Everywhere on the ship seemed crowded with people. The food in the MDR was mediocre and usually arrived at the table barely warm, and the buffet was minimal and the food there overcooked. The evening shows were poor (we walked out of more than half of them) and before them, as the theater was filling, the staff walked around hawking pull-tab tickets.

I swore off of Norwegian, although many of the disappointments on that trip may have been limited to that particular ship. Now I'm considering giving the Epic a try.
Old October 25th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Admiral

I toured the Majesty, before, and, after it was stretched, and thought, this is not for me..the ceiling atrium was, I swear an inch over my head.

The ship is sailing somwhere in the world though. The NCL Seaward was my entree into cruising like a Norwegian Smallest cabin I've ever had!

Glad the new ships are a whole new ball game

Last edited by Trip; October 25th, 2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old October 25th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

NCL is my current favorite cruise line to sail (in the contemporary market segment). Though I would recommend sticking with Dawn, Jewel, Gem, Pearl, and Epic... these are the one specifically built for Freestyle.

I love the options available for both different themed restaurants as well as entertainment.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 25th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Admiral

I'm with Kuki on this one. Love the Dawn and the Star will be next. I've sailed on NCL often since 1982, starting with the Norway. At the time, it was the largest cruise ship around and I got a jr. suite via their single share program. My 2nd was on the Starward and I was shocked, having expected comparable size....my bad. But, still, a great time. Now, while I really could do without the specialty restaraunts, I still love their entertainment and the food in the MDR aft was fabulous. Also, better than average breakfast buffets....hmmmmm, fresh waffles...
Marty
Old October 26th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Admiral

Since I so enjoy PR, I'm curious as to why you' would prefer to stay onboard.....usually we hear this about Jamaica or Nassau.

Old October 26th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I would recommend the "Jewel Class" ships. Jewel, Gem, Pearl, Jade are excellent ships and made for Freestyle. I've sailed on Jewel, Jade and Pearl and they are some of the best cruises we've done. The Dawn and Star are a bit smaller but still made for Freestyle and I've sailed both and enjoyed them. I don't know why though but the Dawn and Star are the only ships I get "lost" on. It's just how their, I believe, deck 6 is arranged.

Overall; NCL is my favorite line to sail and I am proponent of Freestyle Cruising.

I love all the restaurants and the diverse and interesting entertainment on Epic. You will NOT be bored on this ship but I personally do not like the ship itself. It is actually the least favorite "ship" I have sailed. I don't like the cabin layout. How the traffic patterns are geared to channel you to Deck 6 and it always seemed crowded as did the pool decks. I loved what the ship contained but I did not like the ship itself.

I'm looking forward to the Breakaway ships. It looks like NCL took what was good about Epic and Jewel class ships and put them into these two new ships.

The only other word of advice is to add $100 - $150 to your cruise budget and partake in at least two or three of the specialty restaurants and get the most out of the Freestyle experience.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 26th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Since I so enjoy PR, I'm curious as to why you' would prefer to stay onboard.....usually we hear this about Jamaica or Nassau.
I have been told by more than one person including D/H how nasty PR is. I know everyone has an opinion but I really do trust their opinion as they know me well, however they can be wrong or it just wasn’t right for them. D/H was there picking up a prisoner so maybe he sees it differently although he did have a day of sightseeing.
I was wrong on the ports I was looking at for on the Epic and I do see a nice eastern Caribbean for this ship.

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old October 26th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I would recommend the "Jewel Class" ships. Jewel, Gem, Pearl, Jade are excellent ships and made for Freestyle. I've sailed on Jewel, Jade and Pearl and they are some of the best cruises we've done. The Dawn and Star are a bit smaller but still made for Freestyle and I've sailed both and enjoyed them. I don't know why though but the Dawn and Star are the only ships I get "lost" on. It's just how their, I believe, deck 6 is arranged.

Overall; NCL is my favorite line to sail and I am proponent of Freestyle Cruising.

I love all the restaurants and the diverse and interesting entertainment on Epic. You will NOT be bored on this ship but I personally do not like the ship itself. It is actually the least favorite "ship" I have sailed. I don't like the cabin layout. How the traffic patterns are geared to channel you to Deck 6 and it always seemed crowded as did the pool decks. I loved what the ship contained but I did not like the ship itself.

I'm looking forward to the Breakaway ships. It looks like NCL took what was good about Epic and Jewel class ships and put them into these two new ships.

The only other word of advice is to add $100 - $150 to your cruise budget and partake in at least two or three of the specialty restaurants and get the most out of the Freestyle experience.

Take care,
Mike
Thanks Mike. It looks like I have my work cut out for me with going through all the lines. I have ruled out HAL and I know we want the eastern Caribbean this time but I’m also going to look in to the southern Caribbean but as of now I want eastern.

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014