Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 15th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default First Look at Norwegian Getaway

The ship just left the big shipyard factory building in Papenburg and is revealed to the world. By the way, the building where the ships are built is so big it is the second largest structure in Europe (an Airbus building is the largest).

The hull painting is done by a well-known Miami artist...

November 15, 2013 – Norwegian Getaway, Miami’s Ultimate Ship, departed MEYER WERFT in Papenburg, Germany late last night, for her approximately 24-hour long conveyance along the Ems River. Norwegian Getaway’s river conveyance marks another key milestone in the ship’s highly anticipated delivery.

Sailing backwards, Norwegian Getaway left MEYER WERFT at approximately 10 p.m. (local time in Germany), and made a narrow passage through the ship yard’s locks, with only 1.6 meters clearance separating the ship from the “bumpers” that were specially installed along the starboard side of the locks. This very tedious maneuver took approximately 1.5 hours at a maximum speed of only 0.2 knots. The precise navigation was led by a team of two located on the bridge, with one navigation officer in charge of overseeing the bow maneuvers and the other overseeing the movement of the stern. It was extremely important that not too much force was placed on the bumpers, which can only support a light touch by the ship, which measures 1063 feet long and 130 feet wide; therefore, minimum speed and minimum pressure on the bumpers was essential. After passing through the locks, Norwegian Getaway continued along the river, stern first. Due to the strong propulsion in the aft section of the vessel, traveling stern first helps with maneuverability which is a key component when navigating the vessel through such narrow passages.

Before reaching her final destination in Eemshaven, Germany at 5 p.m. (local time in Germany) today, heading toward the North Sea, Norwegian Getaway will pass through additional narrow passages including the locks in Papenburg, which allow only 1.5 meter clearance on either side; Weener Bridge in Weener; Jann-Berghaus Bridge in Leer; and Ems-Barrier in Gandersum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg norwegian_getaway2.jpg (39.6 KB, 96 views)
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

The Getaway transatlantic to NYC is fast approaching.

Is anyone else booked on some of the early sailings? We are booked on the February 22nd out of Miami. So excited to see the Waterfront area with it's outdoor bars and restaurants, Miami themed venues and decor, new shows such as Legally Blonde, the Illusionarium dinner show, entertainment at the Grammy Experience. It should be a great cruise!
Old January 14th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Admiral

As I mentioned in another thread, I'll be aboard for both the naming ceremony and one-night hobnob cruise, and then on the February 8th 7-night cruise.

I also think the Waterfront will be 'the place' to hang out and it fits perfectly with the Miami theme, plus the local weather most of the time.

To be honest I have not sailed with Norwegian in many years and they have been on my backburner. So I am excited to see how things are with them after about 10 years of doing other cruise lines.

I have a mini-suite for the overnight cruise and then move to one of the studio cabins for solo cruisers on the 7-night itinerary. I am curious about the solo thing with their exclusive lounge. As I recall, Paul had one on the Epic when it sailed from Europe on it's maiden voyage and liked the concept.
Old January 15th, 2014, 06:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
As I mentioned in another thread, I'll be aboard for both the naming ceremony and one-night hobnob cruise, and then on the February 8th 7-night cruise.

I also think the Waterfront will be 'the place' to hang out and it fits perfectly with the Miami theme, plus the local weather most of the time.

To be honest I have not sailed with Norwegian in many years and they have been on my backburner. So I am excited to see how things are with them after about 10 years of doing other cruise lines.

I have a mini-suite for the overnight cruise and then move to one of the studio cabins for solo cruisers on the 7-night itinerary. I am curious about the solo thing with their exclusive lounge. As I recall, Paul had one on the Epic when it sailed from Europe on it's maiden voyage and liked the concept.
We have cruised exclusively with NCL after discovering them in 2010. Getaway will be number 6 and we have the POA in Hawaii next summer. We have done HAL, Carnival, RCI, Celebrity and Princess and much prefer NCL for it's casual laid back feel. Not a fan of the formality on some of those other lines.

Looking forward to the Waterfront area as well. Want to check out the bar on the port side, Sugarcane or Sunset, I can't remember which, for sailaway out of Miami. That area seems to be somewhat under utilized on the Breskaway from what I have read.

This will be our first experience on a brand new ship, so hope they get all the bugs out of the system on your sailing. We are booked in a mini suite with large balcony on deck 8 forward. ( M6 ). Love the location close to the Waterfront and all the midship action. A few reviews and pictures are beginning to trickle in from the 1 nighter in Europe. I hope you come back and report in with your impressions, must sees and tips after your sailing.
Old January 15th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Admiral

There will be a full report on the Getaway posted on this website when I return. Likely some "live" photos and commentary of the naming ceremony too.
Old January 16th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Dave, I just saw a You Tube video, Norwegian Getaway Studio Cabin, you might be interested in taking a look at. It looked pretty comfy for one. Bed is full size, storage looks pretty good with 2 closets and some storage under the counter. The bath facilities are pretty much like the Epic with the sink in the room, corner shower with glass door. But at least the toilet is in a separate compartment with a solid door! No video of the lounge area.
Old January 16th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Here is a video for the cabin and lounge from Breakaway. Should be the same on Getaway.
Old January 16th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Here is a video for the cabin and lounge from Breakaway. Should be the same on Getaway.
Looks pretty identical to the video I saw. Probably minimal changes, if any.
Old January 17th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Admiral

We have never tried NCL, maybe it's time we looked into it... for those of you who have, what is your overall impression in comparison to other cruise lines?

donna
Old January 17th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Dave,
Looking forward to your insight on this ship, along with pics...Looks like another winner?

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 21st, 2014, 06:47 PM
Familiar Face

Booked on her this June..will be in Miami when she arrives..can't wait
Old January 21st, 2014, 06:50 PM
Admiral

When it comes to entertainment, Norwegian and Royal Caribbean have left the other cruise lines in their wakes, so to speak. Nobody can compare to what these two lines offer. I am really looking forward to the shows on Getaway.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 08:54 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
When it comes to entertainment, Norwegian and Royal Caribbean have left the other cruise lines in their wakes, so to speak. Nobody can compare to what these two lines offer. I am really looking forward to the shows on Getaway.
Dave, went over to "Meet on Board" for NCL and Getaway is not listed.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 11:40 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Sorry - the new MOB (meet on board) for Getaway is there now
Old January 26th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

The Getaway docked in NYC this am after her transatlantic!

She is booked as a hotel for the Super Bowl and then will head south to position for the start of her Eastern Caribbean itinerary. Can't wait for our cruise on Feb 22nd!
Old January 29th, 2014, 01:26 AM
Welcome Newcomer

We are booked in June too. I have been reading the few reviews on the Getaway and then the Breakaway. The Breakaway reviews really worry me. I feel like he have made a big mistake. Any please comment!
Old January 30th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinl View Post
We are booked in June too. I have been reading the few reviews on the Getaway and then the Breakaway. The Breakaway reviews really worry me. I feel like he have made a big mistake. Any please comment!
I think you posted on another forum here about this and I answered there. I take reviews with a big grain of salt. Many of them seem to be written by people who can find the negative in any situation. They will state that they enjoyed the shows, loved some of the food, had lots of fun, most of the crew were very friendly, yet they will call their review "The Epic Disaster" because they had to wait 10 minutes with a free glass of champagne to be seated at dinner, and the ship was "too big", there were actually other people in the elevators with them, they passed a crew member in the hall and he actually failed to smile as they passed. Oh, and don't forget they missed giving them a towel animal a couple nights! It is a wonder they survived the cruise.

Sorry to vent. But these melodramatic reviews get on my nerves. I, like you, have worried about the reviews prior to a cruise and then found the reality to be far different when I actually got on the ship. Just glean out the helpful nuggets of information in reviews and go with a positive attitude.
Old January 30th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Admiral

The melodramatic ones are especially tedious. There are the one-note sambas where everything 'sucked' (a popular descriptor). There are the reviews that look like they meant to submit it for the Bad Hemingway Contest but accidentally submitted it to the cruise website. I really don't mind the reviews that have negatives provided they are balanced with some good and don't get into a bunch of histrionics.

But as a general rule, I've found that people with an axe to grind over some little perceived slight are the ones who can't wait to submit a bad review. The happy cruisers often don't post reviews, but instead say good things in the message boards.
Old January 30th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
The melodramatic ones are especially tedious. There are the one-note sambas where everything 'sucked' (a popular descriptor). There are the reviews that look like they meant to submit it for the Bad Hemingway Contest but accidentally submitted it to the cruise website. I really don't mind the reviews that have negatives provided they are balanced with some good and don't get into a bunch of histrionics.

But as a general rule, I've found that people with an axe to grind over some little perceived slight are the ones who can't wait to submit a bad review. The happy cruisers often don't post reviews, but instead say good things in the message boards.
I saw some recent comments, I think by a Mom and young adult daughter, about either the Epic or Breakaway. They claimed they found the ship to be very boring. Nothing to do. Even on the smaller ships without the blockbuster shows I have a hard time fitting everything into my day!

I had to restrain myself from telling them that only boring people get bored!
Old February 6th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Getaway Now In Miami

Watched the Getaway sail into Miami this AM on the Miami Port Webcam! She looks great!

Have you left for your 2-08 cruise yet, Dave? If you have a chance, see if you can find out who the scheduled entertainment is for the Grammy Experience. We will be onboard on 2-22, if we are no snowbound at Midway Airport!
Old February 6th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Admiral

I am currently in Miami and will attend the naming ceremony tomorrow, spend the night aboard, and then exit and re-board the Getaway on Saturday for the first full cruise.

I will have full report on the ceremony and the ship.
Old February 6th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Admiral

Have a great cruise Dave!! OMG you are on the Pitbull (aka...Mr. 305, Dale) cruise! I looooove Pitbull's music.

Will be looking out for your report on Getaway when you return...Also a picture of Pitbull please!

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old February 7th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen View Post
Have a great cruise Dave!! OMG you are on the Pitbull (aka...Mr. 305, Dale) cruise! I looooove Pitbull's music.

Will be looking out for your report on Getaway when you return...Also a picture of Pitbull please!
"Mr. 305"? I'll have to google that! I read in the Miami Herald that his vodka line ( I did not know he had one! ) Voli will be served on the ship. Maybe it will be the Voli Ice Bar rather than the Svedka Ice Bar, lol. Will definitely do the Ice Bar this sailing! Wouldn't it be great if he did a stint in the Grammy venue?
Old February 8th, 2014, 03:23 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Smile Transatlantic crossing on NCL Getaway

Hi

Just returned from my first "proper" cruise on this ship, then transferred to the Carnival Splendor, talk about chalk and cheese, feel free to ask me any questions!
Old February 10th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen View Post

Love Pitbull also..lol.. my son got me hooked on Mr. 305. Sailing in June on GTW.
Old February 10th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelphi99 View Post
Hi

Just returned from my first "proper" cruise on this ship, then transferred to the Carnival Splendor, talk about chalk and cheese, feel free to ask me any questions!
Will you be posting a review? What was your general impression of the Getaway? Likes and dislikes?
Old February 15th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Admiral

I am back from 8 days aboard Getaway. What a wonderful time I had, from start to finish. I am so pleased that I may book it again soon, for a family cruise.

I have two articles posted on the website homepage, but please ask any questions here.
Old February 15th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
I am back from 8 days aboard Getaway. What a wonderful time I had, from start to finish. I am so pleased that I may book it again soon, for a family cruise.

I have two articles posted on the website homepage, but please ask any questions here.
Thanks for the report. Glad to hear the positive feedback since we board on the 22nd!

I did not realize there was a comedy club which must be booked! It was not an option when we did our bookings for entertainment online at 45 days out. I thought the comedy club had been replaced by the Grammy Experience. . Something to look into when we board.

You did not mention Legally Blonde or the Grammy Exp. Did you see either or hear any feedback from other passengers? I think Nestor Torres was in Grammy on your sailing. We will have jazz percussionist Sammy Figueroa.

Any long waits experience for either MDR or the specialty venues and do you think it necessary to prebook the specialties? Also, was there lobster in the MDR on first night?

Thanks!
Old February 15th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Admiral

The comedy shows and Howling At The Moon share the Headliners Club on deck 6, across from Le Bistro.

Grammy Experience is on deck 8 across from La Cucina. On my cruise the Grammy Experience venue was used A LOT for private functions. They also had karaoke in there and then there was Nestor Torres a couple of nights. He was of course outstanding.

Legally Blonde was a good show. The lead was outstanding. Clearly better than the other cast members at my showing. It could have been just 'one of those nights' though.

I had reservations for all the specialty dining so I didn't notice any walk-ups having to wait or being turned away. There was lobster in the main dining rooms one night but I forget which one. They also had lobster in the buffet the same night - that may have been because it was the real 'inaugural cruise' though.

The more I think about it, the more I am becoming disappointed in the Illusionarium dinner show. The dinner was not that good and seemed rushed and was treated liked an 'oh, by the way' thing even though I paid $30 for it and a ring side seat for the show. The show? I won't spoil it but it was 'okay', and to me not especially cutting edge. To be honest I think Norwegian ought to just drop the whole concept - both Cirque Dreams and Dinner and this new iteration and do something else with the space.
Old February 16th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks, Dave. We really enjoyed the Cirque show on the Epic, but I agree the meal is more of a distraction than anything.

Some people look at the show as paying for dinner with a free show thrown in, others consider it a fee for a cirque show with a free meal thrown in ( me ).

I personally would pay to see the NCL show even without the dinner, as to see a real Cirque du Soliel show would cost far more, and with no meal included. I don't know why they do not just offer a couple drinks with the show price instead. Not sure why folks focus so much on the meal served, as free food is abundant throughout the ship and it is very easy to eat elsewhere before or after if the meal is not to your taste.

Am looking forward to trying the Illusionarium, although magic shows are usually not to my liking.